VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Green gone blue?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar - 12:46

She started out very green with green eyes and ended up blue with white eyes. Also a very docile disposition. [url=Green gone blue? Imag0016]
[url=Green gone blue? Imag0017]
[url=Green gone blue? Imag0018]
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 1:22

wow what a stunning change and what a beautyfull animal
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 2:43

Thanks, a friend of mine has proposed that the blue is due to lack of exposure to real sunlight. I do use uva/uvb bulbs though.
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 2:49

thats weird , why would a snake turn blue due to a lack of real sunlight ?
Back to top Go down
Brance Mauldin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Brance Mauldin

Male
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 4:49

I think if that was the case then most people's chlorechis would also turn blue.

Why are you using UVA/UVB bulbs on your snakes?
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 5:02

There are cases in other green specimens, which turns from green to blue

I know cases from M.viridis (ontogenetic and pregnant females), Gonyosoma spec. and Ahaetulla

Really stunning snake
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 5:14

yes fabian i know of those but its not cause of the lack of sunlight is it ?
Back to top Go down
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 7:36

a real stunner!!! affraid
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 10:40

Dont know just his thoughts along the lines of animals who dwell in caves or areas with little or no natural light tend to stray from the norm on the color spectrum. @Brance- I have always used full spectrum bulbs. To try and duplicate natural surroundings. In there natural habitats the sun shines in full spectrum. Why not in captivity. I may be wrong, but it hasn't caused me any probs. thus far. Whats your thoughts? Thanks for your compliments. I am proud of her!
Back to top Go down
Brance Mauldin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Brance Mauldin

Male
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 11:47

There's nothing wrong with using UVA/UVB on snakes but I just don't see the point. Snakes do not benefit from ultraviolet light in the same way say a lizard or turtle does. Too me it is just a waste of money, especially since such bulbs aren't cheap. To each his own though.

Since you mentioned duplicating natural surroundings, nothing says "natural" like cheap decorations designed to be used in aquariums. Perhaps you should add a pirate skeleton and treasure chest. Smile
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 14:25

I thought about it, but shes to young for a live in boyfriend and has no need for money so the lil $40 faux bonsai tree will have to do till shes grown up. Then a cage up grade means new furniture for her domain.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 15:09

At the other genera there is not uv light necessary. I think the turn from green to blue or single scales have another factor (maybe hormones or something similar)
However some Morelia virdis and Ahaetulla shows it ontogenetic

Quote :

Scales are hued for all colours in this manner except for blue and green. Blue is caused by the ultrastructure of the scales. By itself, such a scale surface diffracts light and gives a blue hue, while, in combination with yellow from the inner skin it gives a beautiful iridescent green.
wikipedia

Maybe there is a paper or something similiar available.Will have a closer look

Fabian
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 15:37

well i know a lot of chondro females turn blue when they get gravid but others just utnr blue cause of there lcality , some cause they are mixed localitys

i had no idea Gonyosoma spec. and Ahaetulla turned blue aswell i never seeen that thanks for the info fabian
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 16:19

Fabian, there is no hue to her. Light or no light she is blue. Over her last 4 to 5 molts she went from emerald green to what you see here. I do have pics from when i got her in spring 09' from my buddy matt who produced her. She is green as grass in them same camera, same cage, and same light. I just feel blessed to have her. I favor all my atheris ssp. especially her.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 17:04

I noticed that, I posted the quote only as one possibility for change. As I said it can be ontogenetic or maybe throughout other factors.
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 17:24

Ive seen several chondros with blue and a few solid blue they are a sight to see. She was a quick $25 pick up that turned out priceless to me.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 17:54

Morelia viridis turns blue when they are gravid. Normally they turn to green again after birth. True ontogenetic chondros are not so often and expensive. There are some "high blue" morphs with green and blue (and yellow).

At the genus Gonyosma and know several cases where some scales or a greater part becomes blue, the was no infection or something similar.
There are some blue Ahaetulla available,too and I think they are perhaps ontogenetic blue.

This phenomen is described in several green species and for me interesting that it is in Atheris,too.
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 18:05

Yeah it is a first for me with chlorechis. My others are all green as can be. It is most appealing esp. in some squams.. Derek has produced some very nice blues and everyother color too. Interested to know if he has come across this with chlorys.? Being he's the resident atheris buff/nut round here.
Back to top Go down
Jon Kennedy
Jon Kennedy

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar - 0:49

$40 for aquarium decoration!?!? My cages are totally natural looking with real plants and branches and each cage cost me about $15 to setup including substrate.
Back to top Go down

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar - 4:36

I like faux plants and decor so i can wash and sanatize them each cleaning. And i never have to replace what wont die or decay. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Green gone blue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green gone blue?   Green gone blue? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green gone blue?
Page 1 of 1