VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011

Go down 
+6
Scotty Allen
Marthinus C. Harmse
Graham Hill
Al Hyde
Sebastian Rosberg
Manuel Ebert
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Manuel Ebert
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Mar - 2:10

Hey everybody!

I have a question: Who is breeding Bitis nasicornis in 2010/2011?

Thanks for reading :-)

Best regards.
Back to top Go down
http://www.manuelebertherpetology.com
Sebastian Rosberg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sebastian Rosberg

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Mar - 2:20

Im also interested Smile Ghana locality prefered
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Mar - 3:25

Hi ,
I have bred nasicornis (Ghana). My female is gravid now and I expect the babies to be born between now and June.
Unfortunately she is not a massive girl and I do not expect a huge litter

Cheers
Al
Back to top Go down
Graham Hill

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr - 13:18

There was a large shipment from a farm in Ghana here to the US. A few importers managed to get there hands on some. One of which ive worked with a number of time, and just about sold the litter of 50 that he imported off in about 3 days. I managed to get my hands on a few, but i would think that they made their way to a few other places then just the states.
Back to top Go down
Marthinus C. Harmse
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Marthinus C. Harmse

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Apr - 5:27

Hi Manuel

I might be breeding nasicornis in 2010/2011.
It's such a pity that I have had some nice ones go through my hands.

I'm getting a healthy adult Ugandese pair soon so lets hold thumbs.
I would like to think that they are similar to other Bitis I have bred but I think that assumption might just bring false hope.

Can Al give us a breeding tip or two ? Smile

Looking forward to hearing more from others.
Back to top Go down
Graham Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 16:25

If anyone can offer advice - it would be Al! I currently have a WC Ugandan Female thats in slough- and im debating if I want to breed her with one of my West African rhinos- or if i want to cross her with one of my Gaboons. I think the colors will be greater if I go for the Hybrid. Where I feel that im going to lose allot of the Ugandan coloration - if i do a Ghana cross... Just up in the air.
Back to top Go down
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 18:49

Why not make the effort to find a "Ugandan" male to breed her with instead of crossing her with your "West African" or worse yet a Gaboon? Good grief, what's the rush to breed her anyway?
Back to top Go down
Graham Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 20:47

Well I would not mind breeding her with another Ugandan - but with the amount of time- and money there is involved with tracking one down- it kinda puts a damper to things. And if i were to play the odds game~ I would have to remember that it took me 2 years + to obtain the Ugandan I have in my collection. I myself also find hybrid Gabinos as being good looking snakes. My gabs are all Ghana locality - and my male is about as close to white on its lighter tone- to being a very faint cream/blond color. I would think that a Ugandan Rhino and a light colored gab- should produce a few vividly colored hybrids. Im also sure that i can fetch a pretty penny for the offspring. Wholesale is taking a cut. But at the same- when you already have a buyer, and its all my investment- kinda leaves me in a fun position as to what do i want to breed... With the money invested in a handful of my bitis - and the firearms i built and sold to obtain them... Its either - they pay back my investment - or i make one slick pair of boots... As seeing that my hots and machine equipment share a large room- which ever investment grows first- singles out the weaker. And right now - my gunsmithing is taking off quite rapidly- just added a 6000.00 lathe and a Mill... So yeah, as to why im somewhat up in the air with everything... I have always enjoyed working with HOTs - But with this economy- and with having a new born son... Its purely business now- eat or be eaten... income - or good looking pair of boots.
Back to top Go down
Jaques van der vyver

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 21:09

Well if its purely investment then sell the female to someone who can produce decent locality offspring with them.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 22:12

Graham Hill wrote:
Well I would not mind breeding her with another Ugandan - but with the amount of time- and money there is involved with tracking one down- it kinda puts a damper to things. And if i were to play the odds game~ I would have to remember that it took me 2 years + to obtain the Ugandan I have in my collection. I myself also find hybrid Gabinos as being good looking snakes. My gabs are all Ghana locality - and my male is about as close to white on its lighter tone- to being a very faint cream/blond color. I would think that a Ugandan Rhino and a light colored gab- should produce a few vividly colored hybrids. Im also sure that i can fetch a pretty penny for the offspring. Wholesale is taking a cut. But at the same- when you already have a buyer, and its all my investment- kinda leaves me in a fun position as to what do i want to breed... With the money invested in a handful of my bitis - and the firearms i built and sold to obtain them... Its either - they pay back my investment - or i make one slick pair of boots... As seeing that my hots and machine equipment share a large room- which ever investment grows first- singles out the weaker. And right now - my gunsmithing is taking off quite rapidly- just added a 6000.00 lathe and a Mill... So yeah, as to why im somewhat up in the air with everything... I have always enjoyed working with HOTs - But with this economy- and with having a new born son... Its purely business now- eat or be eaten... income - or good looking pair of boots.
Here's a candid perspective... Thank you for an enlightening post, Mr. Hill. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 22:21

Making hybrids is one of the dumbest things a human can do...

Edit: If it's just income you are interested in, buy some ball python morphs and breed them. You will have better success with BPs than you would with making hybrids just because they look better (your opinion)

Last edited by Martin Romanov on Wed 29 Sep - 23:13; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://terraristic.net
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 23:04

Maybe you should concentrate on your "rapidly taking off" gunsmithing, Graham - and quit the "hobby?
I do not believe that many of our members here - mainly hobbyists - will approve your mental atttude.
I really hope there are things left in your life whose value doesn't depend just on income.

shocked greetings

Peter

and @all:
let's go back to topic!
Mr. Ebert is in search for Bitis nasicornis offspring.........

Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Sebastian Rosberg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sebastian Rosberg

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 0:11

This idea is just stupid Graham.
Back to top Go down
Manuel Ebert
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 2:13

I don't mind that my topic turned into an important general discussion. If needed just move it to another cathegory.

To also get involved: I don't like hybrids (and colour-morphs) at all and breeding reptiles just for making profit is not the idea I had when I started getting my first Pogona vitticeps. I'm now much deeper in this reptile scene as I would have ever thought and I abhor breeding hybrids more and more. I'm that kind of nature-guy who loves originals meaning animals and plants.

If the profit becomes more important than the joy of successful breeding I would agree with Peter and advice to give up your "hobby".

Many species are already extinct so lets make them at least exist and be loved in our hobby (as far as keeping these species is a hobby and not a profit machine). A good example for this is likely Boa c. sabogae.

Concerning the topic: Is anyone in the fortunate position to have and breed true Itury forest animals?

Sincerely

Manuel Ebert
Back to top Go down
http://www.manuelebertherpetology.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011   Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Bitis nasicornis 2010/2011
Page 1 of 1