VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article

Go down 
+8
Jonas Hill
Rob Deans
Sami Heikkinen
Andrew Hacket
Radek Benda
Sascha Beckhoff
Mikael Andersson
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD
12 posters
AuthorMessage
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-12-06

Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Empty
PostSubject: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 2:31

Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Atheri10
First Picture: My dear friend, former employee, and expert photographer Bill Love took this most excellent photo at my facility with a professional's camera.
Second Picture: This photo was taken by my me to show you the difference between an expert and an average photographer. LOL.
Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Atheri11

These rare snakes are only found in two locations, one around Igembe in the Northern Nyambe range and one at Chuka on the southeast side of Mount Kenya. It is extremely difficult to find even recently imported desaixi, much less a three year captive such as this one. Usually, these are received in poor condition and are difficult to acclimatize if not in tip-top condition upon receipt. As they have a restricted habitat which is unprotected, this species is vulnerable to habitat destruction as well as over-collecting.

Husbandry is the same as for most of the other Atheris. They need adequate moisture, water to drink and misting. At the same time, they also need adequate ventilation. We keep them in Exo-Terra Glass Terrariums which have screen tops and opening glass fronts. We also use the Zoo-Med equivalent. They need small cages to feel comfortable. I am sure these or their equivalents are sold overseas. Temperatures should be between 80F to 82F in the day with a drop to the low 70's F at night. Humidity should be between 60% to 80%. Here in South Florida, we mist them an average of 5 to 6 times per week. In Europe or the northern USA where average humidities are usually lower, they would need more frequent misting.

Getting fresh imports to eat is difficult, and you may need to feed frogs or lizards to adult Atheris at first before you can get them to eat mice. I find that when you give adult Atheris rodents, fuzzy or hopper mice are accepted the best. They like the mice with hair on them. Baby Atheris may need frogs or lizards at first. Anyway this is the nicest Atheris desaixi I've had, and it is a three year captive. Thank you for looking.

Last edited by TOM_CRUTCHFIELD on Mon 29 Mar - 3:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomcrutchfield.com
Mikael Andersson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Mikael Andersson

Male
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 2:45

You made may day!!!
BRGDS frome Sweden
Mikael
Back to top Go down
http://www.kryp.smugmug.com/
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 2:47

thanks for sharing tom.
sascha
Back to top Go down
Radek Benda
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Radek Benda

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 3:21

Yes,this ones are very rare and beautiful... Great photos and thank you,for sharing info about husbandry.. A.Desaixi is very important species... :-)
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 4:38

TOP NOTCH Tom Very nice animal , since many atheris babys differ in color to their adults , any idea what color a new born would be ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 10:46

Perfection!
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 14:56

OMG.. These are so amazing.
Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 16:01

Very special. Thanks Tom.
Back to top Go down
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
TOM_CRUTCHFIELD

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 19:35

Thanks for your kind words...
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomcrutchfield.com
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 23:14

No, thank you. Keep us updated, please.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realsnakes.de
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 23:51

Beautiful snake!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 5:23

Very nice, Tom. It looks like Bill simply had better lighting than you did because your photo is perfectly acceptable. I am surprised at how warm you recommend keeping them. Has the male been kept that warm for three years? If so, then perhaps that is why my animals died when I had them. I was under the impression that they were a high elevation species and needed much cooler temps. I cycled mine through warmer seasons where they resided in the main snakeroom and cool seasons where they were kept in the cool basement. I know that the keepers I've spoken with keep them much cooler than you mention. That's interesting that they do so well in the tropical Florida environment.

Andrew, Glades once imported a gravid female and she dropped babies that were black and brown in coloration. If I recall correctly, they didn't have any yellow on them. That was about 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 16:17

Hi Tom,
Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures. Its a real beauty.
In my opinion desaixi and hispida are the best looking Atheris.
Greetings
Rene
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 16:42

Tom, now that i really see how well its est. I am really kickn myself for not buyn it last spring. When rick offered him to me sight unseen. I just had hispida on the brain as far as acclimation issues, and didnt want it to end up in my freezer. To heartbreakn. Truly magnificent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeTue 6 Apr - 19:22

awesome Cool
Back to top Go down
Courtney Roles
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeTue 6 Apr - 21:47

WAYY out of my league, but absolutely beautiful nonetheless.
Their venom is quite quite potent, I hear.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr - 2:37

Most excellent, Tom! Smile

Atheris has to be my favourite Arboreal genus. - If you can't love Atheris species, then you really have no heart IMO! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article   Atheris desaixi -  The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atheris desaixi - The Mount Kenyan Bush Viper - A Brief Article
Page 1 of 1