VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

headlamp question...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

headlamp question... Empty
PostSubject: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitimeFri 30 Apr - 22:05

Does someone have experience with de LED LENSER H7 head lamp?
Is this led headlight with 140 lumen good enough for fieldwork at night?

I'm also interested in experiences with other headlamps like Petzl Myo XP.

Best regards,
Harold

headlamp question... 572528_BB_00_FB.EPS

headlamp question... MyoXP
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitimeSat 1 May - 14:22

Dear Harold,
yes, I think 140 Lumen are enought for herping. Because, you don´t need so much light for long distances. Than all what you are looking for is not far from you! My opinion is, that you need a good light for the next 10 meters. But all Petzl Lamps bring more light you need. A special very good function is, that you can choose between LEd and Halogen Light. I use Petzl Lamps since more than 15 years. Now I have my 3nd one, a Petzl MYO 5 ( sold out now I think!). It has a Halogen Light, with a lot of Lumen (I don´t know hoch much yet) and 5 LED´s.
I use the LED´s only for the streets in the night, or for foodpaths where I don´t expected herps. When I think I´m on the right position, I switch the Halogen on. With one Loading of Batteries (Batteries are always better than Accus!) I can use the Halogen Light for 4h. When I use only the LED I have more than 90h´s! I go for herping not with one Lamp! The reason is, sometimes shit happens and when you are standing in the night in a Forest without light, you will se what darkness is inh real...and you have to wait for the dawn! The 2nd Lamp I use is a Tourchlight - Streamlight ProPolymer, a very powerfull light with a special Bulb. It is allways better to look at the ground then to use only the headlight. I use this also at daytime, than in some Forests (in my case in Malaysia) you can find some groups of rocks with very deep holes, and you can´t se in the deep at daytime! Sometimes you can find the best thinks in this holes (Geckos, nocturnal Snakes and a lot of Insects!).

Hop it helps a little bit.

Peter
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitimeSat 1 May - 19:11

Many thanks for your reply Peter!
I can't find a Petzl with a halogen light at the local adventure stores, but maybe the new generation LED's are just as powerfull.

Best regards,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Rob Gandola

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-03-27

PostSubject: Re: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitimeSat 1 May - 20:47

Hi Harold,

I've been using a Petzl Myo XP for the last 2yrs, in a variety of climatic conditions from heavy rain and high humidity to dry heat, and found it to be really good. It still looks new!

It's light weight and emitts very good light. I've found it useful for spotlighting crocs, caiman and other animals with eyeshine (Treeboas, frogs, Kinkajous, racoon etc.) at quite a distance.

Also, and very important i.m.o, they're not too bad on battery consumption. 3 AA batteries usually last me 7-10days with many hours of use during the day and the night.

Definitely worth the money esp. considering now you can get them fairly cheap on ebay for about 40-50euro

Hope this helps,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitimeSat 1 May - 23:05

Hi Harold,
yes process is going on in this part of technology. My first have had only a ,,normal´´ bulb. than my 2nd a Halogen and now the MYO 5 LED´s and a Xenon Halogen. And two weeks ago I´ve seen the next new generation here in hometown. We have here a very big Outdoor Shop in Cologne. It is ,,Globetrotter´´. What Rob wrote is right, the prices are high, but It´s an investment for a long long time! It like it is in other thinks: Buy it to cheep, you buy it twice.

Peter
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitimeSun 2 May - 1:09

Thanks for your comments Rob and Peter!
Today I went to the store and I have chosen the LED Lenser H7.
Both look very good to me, but the LED Lenser just gave some more light. It also looked more advanced in technology, although the Petzl is possibly more impact-resistant.

Harold
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: headlamp question...   headlamp question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

headlamp question...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Off Topic :: General Discussions-
Jump to: