VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?

Go down 
+7
Harold van der Ploeg
Rainer Fesser
Fabian Dirks
Bostjan Kraner
Jelmer Groen
Rob Deans
Peter Johannesson
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter Johannesson
Peter Johannesson

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-09-11

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Empty
PostSubject: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jun - 19:28

Rhynchophis boulengeri:
Are they nonpoison or rear-fanged ?
I got a bite and it was an reaction, I got a blue mark on the bite place 2 by 6 cm but no pain. The bite was the same as from a ratsnake.
Best regards Peter
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jun - 20:00

Hi Peter

I say non venomous. I kept this species before and was bitten once by an adult with no affects.
I took numerous bites from babies but of course these are too small to consider.

BUT, when I got them someone did comment and say they did hear they were slightly venomous but I laughed this off.
Maybe?

Did you take photos of the bite?
Back to top Go down
Jelmer Groen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jun - 20:56

I remember seeing pictures from Harold v/d Ploeg which clearly show rear fangs. I have never heard about any serious symptoms though. Maybe Harold can show this particular picture in this thread.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Back to top Go down
http://www.snakesofasia.nl
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 2:17

Hello Peter.

I think these are mildly venomous but dont hold on that. These rear fanged snakes have unsufisticated venom delivery systems. It's venom has a good chance to be potent. The fact that there is no records of serious envenomations by this species makes us think it's safe to handle. Who knows really. Recent evidence on some snakes that were previously considered not dangerous have make me handle my snakes more carefully than before. In the past I didn't have any conserns handling some snakes I now know they could be lethal. I have been bitten by Vipera Ammodytes min. 20 times in the past, but I've rarely developed symptoms. There are no records in our country about deaths in the past but there are some elsewhere. The only snakes I really trust are pythons and boas. For others I firs make a research about them before handling.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 2:50

http://www.schlangenland.de/images/rhynch16.jpg

They have longer fangs, but they are not dangerous at all. There is no bite case, I have found in the past.
However, I think it is a nice snake to keep.

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 3:42

They are really interesting with the point on the nose. I don't really know them very well. But ilike those green colours in snakes.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 3:59

I got bitten by my Rhynchophis quite frequently over the years and never had any symptoms of inflammation or even envenomation.
They do have long teeth but not in comparison to e.g. Morelia viridis of the same size.

Bostjan: If you got bitten by V. ammod. about 20 times with rarely developing any symptoms, you´ve been lucky. They can bite with more consequences too. But in my experience especially the Slovenian and northern Croatian V. ammod. are relatively calm and even if one catches them (carefully), their first bite is often dry or almost without venom. But I would not rely on this.

Regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Peter Johannesson
Peter Johannesson

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 6:21

Thank you for your help everybody.
Best regards Peter
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 6:59

Here are some pictures I took several years ago of the enlarged tooth at the back of the upper jaw:

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Boulengeri_fang1

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Boulengeri_fang2

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Boulengeri_fang3

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Boulengeri_fang4

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Boulengeri_fang5

Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Boulengeri_fang6

Today the female laid some nice eggs again Smile

Regards,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 15:12

Hello Harold,

very good photos again, showing the situation clearly, though of course not saying anything about venom-glands..

Cheers,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 18:16

Ofcourse you're right about that. But I frequently saw droplets on and around the enlarged teeth (it is also visible in the pictures above). Also the tissue around those teeth looks a little bit swollen.
The teeth are not grooved (as far as I know), so technically they do not have fangs, just enlarged teeth.

Regards,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 19:31

The grooves help, but they are not necessary for envenomations, like the fangs themself (only helpful )
Dispholidus typus have grooves only to the half length of the fangs. Other species have grooves at the whole length, but cannot give nasty bites.
However, there are aglyph snake with severe envenomations.

@ Harold

I would appreciate it, when I can use some of the pics above! Credits are given

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jun - 23:52

@ Fabian

no problem, you can use some of them.

What I meant to write about the lack of grooves is that they are 'technically' not opistoglyph (general definition).
Of course that says nothing about any possible danger, but (just like Rainer) I'm sure that Rhynchophis boulengeri is harmless to humans Wink

Regards,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Danila Sergeich
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Danila Sergeich

Male
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeWed 26 Oct - 12:16

Harold van der Ploeg wrote:
@ Fabian
I'm sure that Rhynchophis boulengeri is harmless to humans Wink
I agree with Harold Smile
Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Z_7b7b9ec0
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Oct - 0:58

Nice shots! both the close ups and the one above.. Smile
And interesting topic..

I have pair of these and I have had some bites now and then.. angry buggers! But there has been no symptoms what so ever.
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Chris Carille
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Carille

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Oct - 2:38

I believe most species of snakes have some toxicity to their saliva - even garter snakes (Thamnophis spp.) The toxic saliva can caused localized swelling and "itchyness" (allergic reaction). Most are absolutely no threat to humans unless one happens to have a severe allergic reaction. Think all nuts... peanuts and other nuts have a toxic compound, but most people won't have a reaction unless they are severely allergic.

Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeThu 27 Oct - 2:41

Some new facts:
The closest relatives of Rhynchophis boulengeri are most probably Rhadinophis prasinum and Rhadinophis frenatum. Both were listed in the genus "Elaphe", both have never been thought to be "rear fanged" with grooves for venom-delivery.

Best regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Paul Hermann
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitimeSun 14 Feb - 2:15

I received my first bite from a baby and nothing terrible occurred.
This species isn't shy when it comes to bite you but I don't think that they are rear-fanged.
Even if it is the case, I am sure that their "venom" isn't a threat to humans.
Regards, P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?   Rhynchophis boulengeri  rear-fanged ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rhynchophis boulengeri rear-fanged ?
Page 1 of 1