VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

boulengeri's hatched

Go down 
+3
Benjamin Strasser
Al Hyde
Harold van der Ploeg
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

boulengeri's hatched Empty
PostSubject: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 0:57

Last week, after 60 days of incubation, the eggs of my Rhynchophis boulengeri hatched.
I like these snakes a lot.

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0267

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0258

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0242

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0240

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0271

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0273

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_PICT0277

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 4:14

Fantastic Harold, I can see why you like them so much, are they easy captives?
Cheers,
Al
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Strasser
Benjamin Strasser

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 4:58

Hello Harold!

Congratulations!!!

Great pictures of very cute babies!

Maybe you can post a picture from the parents???

Good luck with them!

Best regards from tyrol!
Benny
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 5:19

Thanks Al and Benny!

@ Al
Some Rhynchophis-babies can be difficult in getting started on babymice, but I have good experiences with feeding them small living fish. The little snakes will catch them out of the waterbowl. After a few months the snakes will take defrosted mice which I offer with tweezers. Once they take mice they are as easy as cornsnakes in my opinion.

@ Benny
Here are some pictures of the parents:

boulengeri's hatched Boulengeri_03_2006a

boulengeri's hatched Boulengeri_03_2006b

boulengeri's hatched Rhynchophis_eggs_PICT6907

EDIT:

just found another picture
boulengeri's hatched Boulengeri_PICT8847

Best regards from the Netherlands,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 6:17

Thanks for that info Harold. I was discussing your new babies with a friend on the phone and said i'd seen green Rhynchophis boulengeri before but not grey. You adult pics explains it all Very Happy

Thanks for sharing,
Al
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 11:39

congratulations Harold!
we have also one pair at HerpaWorld. i like them too.. ours are semi adults and take nothing else than pinkies..

can you give some more informations on their breeding Harold?

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 12:46

Hi Harold
Congratulations! I have 1 pair of these as well and the babies were a little difficult to get to take mice! But once they start eating they are just like corn snakes! And they can swallow quite large items without a problem!.
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul - 3:59

Mario Lutz wrote:

can you give some more informations on their breeding Harold?

@ Mario:

great that you have a pair of these beauties too! Feel free to post some pictures of them in this topic Cool
Are they totally green already?

Concerning breeding:
They breed very easily. I just cool them a little in winter (at appr. 16-18 degrees Celcius) by simply switching the lights off. I keep them separated most time of the year. In springtime I start feeding the female more then normally so she will be heavy enough to produce eggs. After their first shed after hibernation I introduce the male to the female. It takes only very short period of time before they'll start mating.

Unfortunately the male bites a lot during mating and last time he injured her. He ripped off a few dorsal-scales, but luckily it healed perfectly already. So next time I'll watch them more closely to prevent injuries. But as I said they are very easy to breed in my opinion.

@ Al:
There are even perfectly blue colored specimens of this species Cool

@ Gavin:
They can easily swallow pretty big prey-items indeed Shocked

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeMon 4 Aug - 13:44

Nice animals Harold, congratulations on your breeding.
How is your cage setup? Do you find they like to climb alot and do yours spend much time in the water?
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov - 17:21

Harold,
Yesterdays Daily Mirror had a picture of this this species hatching at London Zoo. Underneath it read , "This is the first time this species has been bred in Europe""

Thought you might have something to say about that lol!
Back to top Go down
Sven Vogler

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov - 22:33

I think the correct term should have been "... 1st time in an european zoo.".....

Greetings from Hamburg

Sven Vogler
Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/djsnakemanhamburg
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeSat 15 Nov - 17:24

Rob Deans wrote:
Nice animals Harold, congratulations on your breeding.
How is your cage setup? Do you find they like to climb alot and do yours spend much time in the water?

Sorry for the late answer Rob, but the cage setup is pretty simple.
Just a small branche, a waterbowl, a plastic plant and a moisturebox (hidebox with wet sphagnum).
They climb a lot indeed, but also use the floor a lot too. They also like to lay in the waterbowl, especially the young ones.
As substrate I use very small bark.

Best regards,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeSat 15 Nov - 17:32

Al Hyde wrote:
Harold,
Yesterdays Daily Mirror had a picture of this this species hatching at London Zoo. Underneath it read , "This is the first time this species has been bred in Europe""

Thought you might have something to say about that lol!

That's funny to read Al Laughing
This species has been bred numerous times last decade.
Rhynchophis boulengeri was discovered for the first time during an expedition to Vietnam of Tula Exotarium and Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences in 1995. That year they bred this snake for the first time. So this snakespecies has been bred for about 13 years now by the Exotarium and herpetoculturist in Europa etc..

Best regards,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitimeSat 15 Nov - 19:00

Hi Harold, I found it most amusing too when a friend showed me the cutting lol! I thought they'd been bred numerous times. Still, at least it was a positive upbeat article anyway, most unusual for a newspaper.
All the best Harold, and greeting to you too Sven from UK Smile

Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: boulengeri's hatched   boulengeri's hatched Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

boulengeri's hatched
Page 1 of 1