VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

A.chlorechis breeding advice needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Empty
PostSubject: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeFri 2 Jul - 18:35

Hi guys some advice about breeding this species would be very much appreciated. I have done a lot of reading on them but practical tips from your experience would help a lot.

I acquired a pair of A.chlorechis from a friend. Both the male and female seem to be doing very well, both eat and drink regularly. I am keeping them in 30litre plastic tubs with holes drilled for ventilation. I’m using sphagnum moss as a substrate with plenty place to climb and perch. I’m using plastic plants in the cages so they have place to hide.

My temperatures are ranging from 25 degrees(daytime) down to about 19-20(night) the humidity ranges between 70 -85% I have let it drop right down to 50% for short periods to simulate their dry season. I’m using a 60 watt infrared globe placed between the cages as a heat source and it seem to work quite well in maintaining the correct temps. I was using an ordinary (energy saving) bulb to simulate day and night but abandoned this idea.

My female is about 45cm in length and my male about 35cm. I’m currently keeping them in separate enclosures and would like to introduce them in early spring (mid August) or once my female sheds.

Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated. I will post some pics as soon as I get hold of a camera.
Back to top Go down
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeFri 2 Jul - 19:40

Maybe this page is useful:
Climate Ghana

In my opinion you're doing well, I think to simulate the dry season is the right way to get them together ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.realsnakes.de
Domenic de Sousa

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeSat 3 Jul - 17:00

I managed to breed A. nitschei last season and I believe my female is gravid this season.
The majority of atheris we see around are wild caught, no matter what the seller tells you.
I would get them both into large well ventilated cages and do some re-search on, if possible your atheris locality because I believe many atheris localities differ in altitude resulting climate preferences.

Your temps are good but I would increase it slightly by adding a basking spot of 30 degrees.
Any success with breeding I ve heard of is following the locality climate and starting your spraying process when the locality climate best matches that of your climate where you live.
Your best bet would be to wait until the rainy season and try introducing them then.
Back to top Go down
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeSat 3 Jul - 18:39

Maybe it's no mistake to offer a basking spot, but I think it's very important not to heat the whole cage up to 27-28 degrees after installation. In my opinion lower temps also in high parts of the cage are really important.

Last edited by Jonas Hill on Sat 3 Jul - 18:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jorg Schenkels
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jorg Schenkels

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeSat 3 Jul - 18:41

Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jul - 15:17

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. Our rainy season should start her in September, although our winter which is supposed to be dry has been ver rainy. My chlorechis were supposed to have come from Togo but the seller isnt quite sure. I know many of the specimens floating arround South Africa are from Ghana so who knows. I will hopefully post some pics of them a bit later today.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jul - 15:38

I have just had a look at some climatic data charts for Ghana and Togo and both countries share similar patterns. Their rainfall increases from March and peaks in June this correlates with a temperature drop. From July temps increase and rainfall deacreases.

I have also wondered about the usefullness of a basking spot. Where does this species occour in the forest. If it is a species occouring on the forest fringes or openings in the forest such as river courses then it could get to suitable areas to bask. If however it is a true forest species it would have to climb to the tree tops to bask as the sun on the forest floor would be very filtered, and these snakes lack motivation to move at the best of times.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jul - 21:08

Basking spots will typically only be used if the ambient temperatures are too low, or by gravid females. I give all of my breeding females a basking spot and that's one of the best ways to tell that they are gravid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jul - 21:58

please explain a bit more about this conclusion of gravid females.
My room temperature is at the moment at 25 degrees so below the striplight come about 28-29 degrees. But also in winter when room temperatures fall down I don't install a basking spot so 25 degrees below the striplight down to 20 degrees away from the striplight. My animals choose rarely hideplaces next to the striplight.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jul - 1:12

Hi Jonas, when I see a female basking with the fat part of her body closest to the basking light, that is when I know she is warming her brood and working to maintain them. That's the best sign that I know of to tell that they are gravid before they start actually getting fat and showing that they are gravid. Some females stop eating, but others will continue to feed, so that's not a good indicator all the time. And sometimes the babies are so small that you will never see lumps in the females and you may never even know they are gravid. So, the basking is a good indicator. I've seen many females hide from the spot lights (especially chlorechis that seem to like it cooler than squamigera) until they get gravid and then they suddenly appear beneath the light.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Jonas Hill
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jonas Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jul - 3:04

thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A.chlorechis breeding advice needed   A.chlorechis breeding advice needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A.chlorechis breeding advice needed
Page 1 of 1