VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis peringueyi 0.1

Go down 
+12
Jaques van der vyver
Andrew Hacket
Bjorn Unger
Richard Mastenbroek
PeterMagnusson
Kelly Aarnio
Joni hottinen
mark craddock
Michael Burmeister
Sascha Müller
Marco Buegel
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-07-28

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Empty
PostSubject: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug - 7:09

Greetings!

Finally, finally I found one of my favorite snakes! I love the Bitis genus, and these cute little devils are one of the cutest, nicest and most fascinating of them all!

Of course, all snakes are my favorites, but you get the picture Razz

I got her yesterday, and unfortenately, any normal-colored sand wasn't aviavable, so I descided to give black sand a try, until I get normal colored.
The positive thing with the black sand, is that I can see where she is buried, so that can be helpful, but I don't think i will keep the black sand for very long.
Just til I get some real sand Smile
What do you think?

Anyways, here are some pics!

0.1 Bitis peringueyi CB March 2008.
One question, on the breeders certificate, it says that this snake is born 2008 03 09.. is it March 09, 2008, or September 03, 2008? Since B peringueyi normally gives birth during March to April, I assume it's March 09, 2008?
Thanks Smile

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 IMG_6254

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 IMG_6257

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 IMG_6261

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 IMG_6302
Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug - 13:30

Nice speciemen, but please use another substrat, it's not suitable for peringueyi. They prefer a reddish one, and it has to be a sand and not the kind of sharp edged product you are using at the moment.

Yes, it is definitely March 2008

Good luck with her

Best Regards
Marco
Back to top Go down
Sascha Müller
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sascha Müller

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug - 14:22

I am definitely envy you!
Very nice snake thats high on my wish list.

Regards

Sascha
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug - 17:47

Fascinating snakes! I would love to work with these in the future. I assume they would be very similar to the schneideri in habit? What is this snake feeding on?
Back to top Go down
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug - 17:49

She will get some real sand today Smile
There was no reddish sand aviavable, so this sand was just so she could bury her self over night. She will get nice sand today Smile
Back to top Go down
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug - 0:51

Yes, the habits of B. schneideri and B. peringueyi are very much alike: The difference between them is that the scheideri is nocturnal, and the peringueyi is diurnal.

Now the sand has been changed!
New pics.

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 4942127422_884d1d8d79_b

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 4942163034_dfe278f2fd_b

Bitis peringueyi 0.1 IMG_6309
Back to top Go down
Marco Buegel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug - 1:01

Better !! ;-) But believe me, you don't need a drinking vessel in it's cage. It's much better and realistic too, to spray some warm water 3-4 times a week. They will drink it from their skin......the same goes for caudalis and schneideri. This works perfect...

I have used drinking vessels for cornuta, worthingtoni, atropos and xeropaga only.

Best whishes and have fun with this beauty :-)

Marco

Back to top Go down
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug - 1:20

Thanks!

Yes, I know it's a skin-drinker, perfect headshape for it too, but I just put the water in, just in case.
I'm gonna spray her, and even give her fog a few times a week..

Oh yes, she's fun all right, huffing and puffing, and making it clear that she is huge!
Gotta love her Smile
Back to top Go down
mark craddock
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
mark craddock

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug - 2:08

Hi Jan. I have a pair of these here in the UK. I keep mine on "calcisand". This is powdered or granulated calcium designed for reptiles. In the past, when using natural sand, the pink mice would get it stuck to their skin and it would then be ingested by the snakes. Unfortunately there was so much sand that the snakes died from impaction of the gut. Also, definitely no water bowl. They hate long periods of high humidity. I put my snakes into a plastic box and spray them lightly until they drink. This avoids saturating the vivarium with water. Sometimes you may have to spray them for 5 or 10 minutes before they begin to drink.
Good luck Jan.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Aug - 16:42

Hi Jan

“Yes, the habits of B. schneideri and B. peringueyi are very much alike: The difference between them is that the scheideri is nocturnal, and the peringueyi is diurnal.”

I found that B.schneideri seemed more crepuscular from observations I made on specimens in the field. I found many schneideri basking on top of or in low bushes during the early morning almost until midday in some cases. Im not sure how active they are at night as I only observed these during daylight hours.

I think schneiderei also function at lower temperatures as their habitat is generally fairly cool being close to the coast. Is peringueyi similar in this respect?
Back to top Go down
Joni hottinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joni hottinen

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeWed 1 Sep - 3:22

i think that i have seen this little girl somewhere? Wink you got it from Therese at expo syd? nice animal!
Back to top Go down
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeWed 1 Sep - 4:20

mark craddock wrote:
Hi Jan. I have a pair of these here in the UK. I keep mine on "calcisand". This is powdered or granulated calcium designed for reptiles. In the past, when using natural sand, the pink mice would get it stuck to their skin and it would then be ingested by the snakes. Unfortunately there was so much sand that the snakes died from impaction of the gut. Also, definitely no water bowl. They hate long periods of high humidity. I put my snakes into a plastic box and spray them lightly until they drink. This avoids saturating the vivarium with water. Sometimes you may have to spray them for 5 or 10 minutes before they begin to drink.
Good luck Jan.
Interesting, did you take any pictures of it?
Actually the digestable sand can be very dangerous to reptiles as well.
Take a look at this link: http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/reptile/PhotoAlbum181.html
What sand exactely do you use? : )

Michael Burmeister wrote:
I found that B.schneideri seemed more crepuscular from observations I made on specimens in the field. I found many schneideri basking on top of or in low bushes during the early morning almost until midday in some cases. Im not sure how active they are at night as I only observed these during daylight hours.
Interesting! Any more information on this?
Do you think they bask in the early morning to get the digesting started?

Joni hottinen wrote:
i think that i have seen this little girl somewhere? you got it from Therese at expo syd? nice animal!
That's a fact! Smile
Was it your animal?

I fed the little beastie today, and she was very happy with the snack Smile
Bitis peringueyi 0.1 IMG_6322
Back to top Go down
Kelly Aarnio
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Kelly Aarnio

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeWed 1 Sep - 5:22

Nice one you have there! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PeterMagnusson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeWed 1 Sep - 15:08

Cool snake! I saw that one at Expo. Its one on my must have list Wink hard to handle? sidwinding snakes are a pain in the but to handle ..
Back to top Go down
Joni hottinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joni hottinen

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 2:57

no. it wasnt my but i looked it for long time there Razz
Back to top Go down
Richard Mastenbroek
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 4:04

Very nice
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids
Bjorn Unger
Bjorn Unger

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 4:33

You have just put another snake on my very long list. I love the placement of the eyes as they remind me of a sole (fish).
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilepets.co.za
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 5:00

Bjorn, A friend in Capetown had his peringuey's mating the other day , hopefully there will be some CB's !!
Back to top Go down
Bjorn Unger
Bjorn Unger

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 5:39

Andrew, I know him well he works with me. I will have to see when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilepets.co.za
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 6:45

PeterMagnusson wrote:
Cool snake! I saw that one at Expo. Its one on my must have list Wink hard to handle? sidwinding snakes are a pain in the but to handle ..
Not really, sure she is a pissed snake, but as long as I am patient, and shows her the respect she deserves, it really is not a problem.
Back to top Go down
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep - 0:54

Okay, now this beauty refuses to drink. I have sprayed her cage, placed her in another box and sprayed her, I have even tried to use a fog-generator that creates realistic fog. But no, she just won't drink. I have also tryed to inject water in her food, but then she won't eat..

Any tips?
Back to top Go down
mark craddock
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
mark craddock

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep - 6:20

Jan-Alfred Berntsen wrote:
Okay, now this beauty refuses to drink. I have sprayed her cage, placed her in another box and sprayed her, I have even tried to use a fog-generator that creates realistic fog. But no, she just won't drink. I have also tryed to inject water in her food, but then she won't eat..

Any tips?
My female does not drink but my male drinks regularly. I inject pink mice with water for my female and she eats them OK. I see that you are feeding small furry mice to your snake. Try soaking the food with water before feeding. Also, have you used your syringe for anything that will still have a smell when injecting the food with water?
Peringeuy's adders have very efficient kidneys and can retain fluids better than most other snakes. Your snake my not need so much water. Try spraying less frequently, say once every 10 - 14 days. Good luck Jan.
Back to top Go down
Jaques van der vyver

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep - 17:03

If you spray regularly then chances are she just isn't thirsty. Otherwise try a very shallow dish with water placed in an area of the cage that she regularly moves over. I find they're more likely to drink when finding water themselves than when being sprayed.
Back to top Go down
Jaques van der vyver

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep - 17:44

Let me just clarify, by shallow i mean very shallow. Just put enough water in to basically wet the surface of the dish. If its too deep they'l ignore it
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep - 12:05

Great specimen. I love their 'cross-eyed' look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis peringueyi 0.1   Bitis peringueyi 0.1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis peringueyi 0.1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next