VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Breeding L. stenophrys

Go down 
+7
Walter Silva
jean-henri pastore
Peter van Issem
Albert J. Montejo
Gustav Eloy
Jaroslav Karhánek
Clint Guadiana
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Clint Guadiana
Clint Guadiana

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Breeding L. stenophrys Empty
PostSubject: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 9 Jan - 3:02

Hello,

My name is Clint. I am the head reptile keeper at the Gladys Porter Zoo. We currently have 3.2 L. stenophrys. I really want to breed them this year. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Clint Guadiana
Back to top Go down
Clint Guadiana
Clint Guadiana

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 9 Jan - 23:42

I am looking for anything that can help me breed them. For example should I have the males combat, breed them on exhibit or off, what time of year should I put them together etc.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jaroslav Karhánek
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jaroslav Karhánek

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jan - 0:34

Hi, I don´t keep them so I can´t help you but you can try write to Dean Ripa and ask him. If you want I can write you his e-mail address.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushmaster.estranky.cz/
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan - 3:19

Hello, I don´t keep this ones but have you ever tryed something, coolthem down, increase humidity and food disponobility??
There is a guy from Peru you can find him here his name is Walter Silva and he breds L. muta so maybe he can help you.
Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 16:34

Clint, im surprise you are asking these question's as with out Collets (head keeper)@GPZ. help i would have never bred Lachesis Melanocephala, it was my male Lachesis Stenophrys that produced the ones you are holding now at Gladys Porter Zoo and Collet was responsible for they're reproduction.
Clint i can not recall a finer or more educated person in this matter than Collet.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 22:08

Hi Clint,
here in Germany stenophrys is the most breeded (or the only breeded ) Lachesis Species, there is an Article about breeding in a German Herpetologycal Periodical, but unfortunely in german language! If you intressed, maby I can help you! Let me know!
Back to top Go down
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2009-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 23:02

Peter van Issem wrote:
Hi Clint,
here in Germany stenophrys is the most breeded (or the only breeded ) Lachesis Species, there is an Article about breeding in a German Herpetologycal Periodical, but unfortunely in german language! If you intressed, maby I can help you! Let me know!

You speak about Andreas.H article Peter?
Good article if it's the case !! Wink
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSat 5 Mar - 0:47

Yes JH,
I know only this one. Maby the are others???
Back to top Go down
Walter Silva
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Walter Silva

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeFri 29 Apr - 12:58

Hi Clint:

Send me your email, I have the paper of the breeding of lachesis (De Sousa, 2007).

My email is w_silva01@yahoo.com

Greetings from Incas´land
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 21:15

Hello Clint,

some personal note from my files , your institution may have their own files.

Specimen Report, Report date :
GLADYS PORTER ZOO 12 Oct 1994

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taxon Name : LACHESIS MUTA STENOPHRYS Accession Number: SO1489
Common Name : BUSHMASTER Acq. Date: 28 Aug 1994

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dam Id : SO1414
Sire Id : SO1444

Dam's Institution : BROWNSVIL
SIRE's Institution : BROWNSVIL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Birth on Loan to Us 28 Aug 1994
(see below)
2 Loan from 28 Aug 1994
MONTEJO A: MONTEJO A

Special Data & comments >>>

# Code / Text Date

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Egg Lay Date 25 Jun 1994
From clutch of 13 eggs.

2 Incubation note 28 Aug 1994
Sixty-three day incubation at 82-83 F. High moisture.

3 Aquisition note 28 Aug 1994
Birth, loan in from Albert Montejo.
4 Identify description 28 Aug 1994
Perfect tail.

VIPERIDAE CROTALINE

SQUAMATA SERPENTES ISIS / ARKS
12 Oct 1994

Best regards ,

Albert j. Montejo / Zoobotanicals

Back to top Go down
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 21:57

Albert, please, can you give us something concret please.....
I think a report like that don't help us anymore....... Embarassed (sorry)
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 22:40

Jean -Henri, i can not, this is one page of ten (pic's inc.) in a confidential report on zoological record keeping, property of ISIS / ARKS and GLADYS PORTER ZOO im providing this to Clint Guadiana to help anwser his question .

* jean-henri , im providing Venomland members a glimpse on professional herpetoculture, maybe this should have been sent to Clint , VIA a PM.

* jean -henri, Clint Guadiana, with permission from GLADYS PORTER ZOO's CEO, President or Head Curator can with sufficient notice easily pull these ISIS /ARKS files and records and write a report on this significant effort and collaboration, on the conservation issue and captive breeding of The Central American Bushmaster, Lachesis stenophrys, for the benefit of Venomland forum members.

Best regards,

Albert.

Addtl: in some future article , if venomland members are interested, ill report on other captive breeding projects involving the Lachesis group at Zoobotanicals.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 23:41

Clint Guadiana, jean-henri & Mirco Kempter & Co.

GLADYS PORTER ZOO
NECROPSY REPORT

Necropsy Number: 94-08-116

Date of Death : 27 Aug 94

Date of Necropsy : 02 Sep 94

Common Name: Bushmaster

Scientific Name : ???? Lachesis muta stenophrys

Identification: 5700 DOB ???? 27 Aug 94 Sex: M Weight: 32 g
Other ID: DOA ???? 27 Aug 94 Lenghth: 37 cm/ 33cm

Classification: Reptile

Location in Zoo: Herpetarium

History: From a clutch of 13 eggs of which 8 were viable, 4 died in the shell, 2 remain alive,
and 2 died post hatching ; this is one of the 2 which died post hatching.

Antemortem Diagnostic Test Performed:

Hematology
Radiology-
Cytology-
Bacteriology-
Virology-
Parasitology-
Urinalysis-
Toxicology-

Prosector: MWF

Gross Diagnosis: No gross lesions

Final Diagnosis: Acute bacterial enteritis

ISIS Codes: 20 F, 21 A 22 G B

Comments : only cursory necropsy performed, entire "pluck" placed in 10% formalin for histopathology; sex determination important due to incubation temperature study.

TVMDL. Comments: no gonad recovered ; gonadal ridge is imbedded in fat bodies and fascia ( 1/2 between kidneys and stomach) and sex needs to be determined histologically. A system needs to be devoloped for reliable gonad recovery and histological sex determination in embryonic and hatchling snakes (TVMDL # C94249117).

Based on all materials submitted ( hatchlings, yolk remaing from live hatches, and remaing clutch) , bacterial and fungal contamination of the clutch has occurred.

Best Regards

Albert.

Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 23:48

Quote :
im providing Venomland members a glimpse on professional herpetoculture

wow - what a privilege to all those uninformed here!

But you're providing not even a glimpse, Mr. Montejo.

You've been invited many times to let our users participate on your endless professional experience by posting serious articles like detailed care sheets or breeding reports. That would be interesting, not your copy and paste-postings from other websites, forums, files etc., which ain't informative but mostly confusing and misplaced.
regards
Peter Zürcher
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 0:14

Quote :
im providing Venomland members a glimpse on professional herpetoculture

...but not a debate culture

Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 0:31

Peter , these statements were hand typed not copied , these are the reports from my breeding loan of Lachesis stenophrys at GLADYS PORTER ZOO , with ISIS ARKS # for Clint Guadiana to verify .

The rest is confidential and maybe even this that i typed is confidential you will not find this information anywhere on the internet to copy .

Now, it's in , Clints Guadiana hands, to write a report on this THE GLADYS PORTER ZOO SIGNIFICANT EFFORT for CONSERVATION , i gave him all i can of my collaboration and personal records .

No worries my history goes back to at least 1989.

* Peter soon i will write a breeding article on Lachesis , Bothriechis and Bothriopsis im getting it together with references and i want to add pictures .

Thank you , for looking at my article on , Clint's Thread.

August , 8, 1989

To whom it may concern:

On 8/8/89, I recieved the following preserved snakes from Albert J. Montejo:

3 Bothrops nummifera
1.Bothrops nummifera
1.Bothrops nigroviridis subadult
1.Bothrops schellegi subadult
4.Bothrops nasuta
4.Bothrops lateralis; 3 adult, 1 juvenile

These speciemens will be delivered to Jack Gaskin, DVM Phd, c/o Dept Infectious diseases,
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville , Florida , 32610.

Tissues of the animals will be utilized for viral recovery, Disposal of the bodies will be by cremation unless other wise notified .

Information will be shared with the University of Costa Rica and Albert J. Montejo to determine the cause of death of many pit-vipers in the collection of Instituto Clodomiro Picado,

Sincerely ,

Kevin Wright, DVM.

Addtl: This specimens helped lead to the discovery of the Paramyxo virus .

Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 2:44

Unbelievable, you continue with statements lacking any reference to the topic started by Clint Guadiana here.
What the hell have some examinations of specimens of completely other taxa to deal with breeding of Lachesis stenophrys?

and please note, Mr. Montejo:
if you would write "these specimens helped lead to more knowledge or to the discovery of new serotypes of PMV, i would accept it.
But "leading to the discovery of the Paramyxo Virus" generally is just wrong.

Ophidian Paramyxovirus has first been isolated at a Swiss pharmaceutical facility in 1972 from a specimen of Bothrops atrox and has therefore been common named Fer de Lance-Virus.
See Fölsch & Leloup (1976), and Clark et al. (1979).

Quote :
Peter soon i will write a breeding article on Lachesis , Bothriechis and Bothriopsis im getting it together with references and i want to add pictures .

We're all looking forward for that, hoping you will be too busy with it to do additional senseless postings in the meantime.

regards
Peter Zürcher

Last edited by Peter Zürcher on Mon 13 Jun - 2:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 2:55

You got me ! 100% correct... i left out Ophidian Paramyxo Viruses, in the collection of Instituto Clodomiro Picado and the Dallas Zoo .

Peter, whos Venomland - article/thread /name should i use as an blueprint to how an article of captive breeding or care sheet should be written for an international forum such as Venomland .

i want to be exactly correct.

Thanks for the correction !

Albert.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 2:56

Clint, as You sure realized, Albert is a so called "forum troll" (suspect - he is not guilty until proved guilty, but he heavily works on proving it again and again).
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 3:07

Grrrrrrrrrr SHIT anybody ! Twisted Evil
Clint just ask for information in breeding, and you talk about too diferents things!
It the same as each time Albert replay to a post and we all know each time that Peter and Guenter have some hard replic !
I'm not an moderator or administrator but every body here have not the rocket science, also Peter and more Guenter (with snakes) !
why every time Albert mail, you steer against him on a subject that is more, has nothing to do?
Your stories of "who is telling the truth or not, " we give a damn!
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 3:33

Had a bad day, Jean-Henri?

and @ all

back to topic!
If someone has to tell us important facts referring to the breeding of Lachesis stenophrys, he should feel free to post it here.

best regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jun - 17:09

Well Jean, if You read the thread carefully, You'll realize who started to write "about different things".

If You like it or not Jean - I'll post my opinion where and when I want (always trying to keep in touch with the forum rules of course). By the way - Your words Wink

Besides that I did not know that only "rocket scientists" may post here ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
jean-henri pastore
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jun - 17:26

Guenter, our divergences/ differents of opinion are resolved on Pm.
I can also post like you do every Pm i send to you, but i think it's not the right way.....and he can take some time........
So, like said Peter, back to the topic now! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mats Jonsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Mats Jonsson

Male
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitimeWed 10 Aug - 17:56

I had a pair of stenophrys x melanocephala from Dean ripa!
I did like in most tropical speices
First I separated the male from the female!
I raised the humidity to 80-90% and lowerd the temp about 5-7 degrees celcius, for ca 2 months, then I raised the temp and gradually lowerd the humidity for cpl weeks, and after the femal shedded the skin I introduced the male and after about 24 hrs they mated!
I got 9 eggs and 7 hatched.
Reg
mats Jonsson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding L. stenophrys   Breeding L. stenophrys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding L. stenophrys
Page 1 of 1