VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Unsupportive Spouse

Go down 
+8
Marthinus C. Harmse
Randy Ciuros
Wolfgang Wüster
Rainer Fesser
Graeme Skinner
TJ Giles
Rob Smit
Shawn Caswell
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Unsupportive Spouse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unsupportive Spouse   Unsupportive Spouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 21:46

Kids must be kept safe at all costs, but not keeping venomous, is not necessarily the answer.

Here in Florida, USA, a Florida Fish and Wildlife officer must come to your home and inspect the room where you will be keeping your venomous animals, before you have them, to make sure you are going to be keeping them safely. If you have locking cages, you do not need a separate room, but the cages must be locked when you are not working with that particular snake.

If kids are in the home, a separate room is warranted, and several locks should be used. Also, safety glass in the windows of the room to the outdoors. In Florida, a/c - heat vents must even have secure screen covering them, so snakes can not go in vents. With all the regulations we have, there is no reason to think kids are not safe in the house. Especially if the snakes are kept in the basement, or better yet in a separate building on your land.

Kids are kids. When I was a kid, my friend Eddie and I used to ride our dirt bikes down the railroad tracks, across a train bridge, through a corn field, to an old dirt race car track, and lift pieces of metal and find snakes. We found Garters, Ribbons, Milks, and rarely but sometimes, Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes, but we never brought the venomous home, as our mom's would have tanned our hides. Come to think of it, Eddies mom and dad were divorced too. We read about snakes as kids and were always careful and never got bitten. Neither of us had a father to teach us. I had a stepfather, but he was deathly afraid of snakes. I am honored to say, after 43 years of looking for and keeping snakes, and 33 years of keeping venomous, I still have not been bitten, knock on wood. If you live where venomous snakes are, your boys will look for them, or at least look at them if encountered away from home.

Serious education about all wildlife, especially venomous snakes, is much more important than giving up your dream, especially when your dream does not really put your kids in danger, if your a responsible keeper. Sometimes I wish I could have a son, so I could spend time with him, teaching him about the snakes that I love so much.

Randy
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Unsupportive Spouse   Unsupportive Spouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 21:59

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
I won't dare to give advice here and I am a bit scared that others do so without exact knowledge of Your specific situation.
Regards,
Guenter

Guenter , Mr Caswell did request advice, so do not be scared Smile We simply offer a point of view based on the information he provided. He can do with it what he likes.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Caswell
Shawn Caswell

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Unsupportive Spouse   Unsupportive Spouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb - 23:40

Thank you to all the suggestions and input.

I was not expecting such a response to this. I really appreciate all of the suggestions and words of wisdom. It seems to me that everyone has a valid point. I am trying to figure out a way to take a little bit of everyone's insight and turn it into a resolution.

Obviously her main concern is safety. Which I understand completely. What I cannot support is her unwillingness to compromise. She thinks that she has already compromised by "letting" me have snakes in the house. To me this in itself is not fair. Davina, what you said about her not accepting me for who I am and what my hobbies are is my life in a nutshell. With this I totally agree.

Peter, my setup at home is quite similar to yours. I have a dedicated herp room in the basement of my house which locks by key. My venomous snakes are in key lock enclosures. My 5 year old son, knows he is not allowed in there alone and I would never take a venomous snake out in his presence. He has a pet crested gecko in his bedroom to show friends and to try to keep him interested in reptiles.

Are there any reptile keeping singles sites out there?? Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unsupportive Spouse   Unsupportive Spouse - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unsupportive Spouse
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: Herp-culture-
Jump to: