VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011

Go down 
+2
Eli Carleton
Scotty Allen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 9:54

Thought some of the readers might like to see some field photos of C. horridus

Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Timber20

Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Timber10

Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Timber3

I spent a week and a half with friends in Minnesota observing various den sites. Snakes were just beginning to emerge on sunny days. None were collected or disturbed, photographed as found. This trip was part of a long term study on these den sites, all of which are on private land or protected sites. The species is protected in Minnesota, populations appear to be strong. A number of gravid females were observed.
Back to top Go down
Eli Carleton
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 21:53

Thank you for sharing!

Do you observe the "gravid" females going back to the same basking locations every year?

Seems a little early to know they are gravid in such a northern population. Unless, as you stated, this is a long term study and you know when and where the females go:)

Eli
Back to top Go down
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 22:42

Thank you for the comments Eli.

Yes, gravid females have been observed using the same "rookeries" year after year although they only reproduce every two or three years.

Neonates have been seen as early as mid July and as late as end of September. Some early season gravid females are easily spotted without disturbing them on egress from the dens.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 2:35

Hello Scotty,

thank you for posting this. I enjoyed the photos and your words very much. I realize in your post the same attitude towards these animals that I have.

Best regards,

Rainer
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 2:40

Thanks Scotty, nice photos:)
Back to top Go down
Eli Carleton
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 4:52

Thank you for the additional information!

Crotalus horridus populations seem to be harder and harder to find.

Do the animals you encounter other than the gravid females appear to be healthy?

Eli
Back to top Go down
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 4:58

I've never seen one that appeared sickly in any way. This is probably a biased statement as I only get to the sites in the Spring. I doubt that unhealthy animals would survive hibernation. Even on egress, any that I have seen appear to be "fat n' sassy" so to speak. Smile
Back to top Go down
Marthinus C. Harmse
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Marthinus C. Harmse

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 3:19

By far one of my favourite Crotalus species.
Their soft toffy colour sure is rad.
Great post. Thanks Scotty.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 4:10

Great photographs, Scotty. Always good to hear that wild snakes can be observed in their natural habitat without being disturbed unnecessarily. Thanks for posting this. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011   Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timber Rattlesnake den survey Minnesota USA May 2011
Page 1 of 1