VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter Kok
Peter Kok

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Empty
PostSubject: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep - 16:59

just posting some pic's of the agkistrodon c contortrix
not much, but it's more about the pictures at the bottom that gives me a smile

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8365

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8329

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 190634_155592291163726_100001388681115_327466_2035261_n

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 25092011128

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8197

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8332

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8331

some pic's from last week, when i caught a lock on camera.

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8281

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8280

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8276

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8257

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8253
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep - 18:45

I wouldn't say these specimens are A. c. contortrix.
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Peter Kok
Peter Kok

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep - 21:09

and would you mind telling what specimens you think they are?
and why... specific lines, markings our colorations etectra?

always intresting to discuss these things
Back to top Go down
Vincent Troost
Vincent Troost

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep - 22:03

Photo 6 seems indeed an A.c.laticinctus, and for the other photo's it's difficult to see.
Some (or one), it seems, do have the typical 'hourglass' marking, what could make it an A.c.contortrix.

I think that one of the problems with the 'Copperhead' is that there are already loads of 'hybrids' exist between different subspecies, as they even already exist in nature...
Which sometimes makes it extra hard to find out wich particular species are held in captivity.

Grtzz. Vinc.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kok
Peter Kok

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep - 5:22

thanks to vincent and his agkistrodon " bible" we agreed today that the new couple I bought indeed is not contortrix contortrix but A. c. laticinctus !

and thankfully the male i already had (c contortrix) was NOT the male that bred with the female!
so thas a relief.
the diferences are so small it's sometimes hard to tell, and many hybrids already exist
i knew the male had a bit off A. c. laticinctus and even thought about it being bred in his line somewhere as a hybrid, what has happend alot in the past.....
but i never thought it was a A. c. laticinctus itself....

i just put the c contortrix in his new own enclosure and updated my protocol
and now i'm going to studie the pictures to proof for myself it's really the A. c. laticinctus male and female who where locked

i don' t know what ill do when it apears to be a contortrix x laticinctus.

what was it that gave it away to you peter?

Back to top Go down
Alexander Nevgloski
Alexander Nevgloski

Male
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep - 6:44

I would argue that they may be A.c. pictigaster, or A.c. laticinctus x A.c. pictigaster. In all the photos these snakes exhibit the classic inverted white 'U' marking on the sides, and the bands show the presence of 1 or two spots. Both of these characters, especially the inverted U, is indicative of Trans Pecos copperheads. The bellies of pictigaster (pictigaster means 'painted belly') tend to be mottled dark red/black or just black. If you can post photos of the bellies of the snakes it would help to further identify these animals.

The snake in the 6th photo does not look like pure pictigaster or laticinctus to me, some of the bands are slightly hour-glass shaped.

Regards, Alex
Back to top Go down
Alexander Nevgloski
Alexander Nevgloski

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep - 6:58

Sorry this is a bad photo, but it illustrates the painted belly and inverted white 'U' markings of A.c. pictigaster

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Acp5belly
Back to top Go down
Vincent Troost
Vincent Troost

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep - 20:59

Really lost it by now.... Smile
I've compared the coloration/pattern with photo's/drawings in the book "Snakes of the Agkistrodon complex" by Gloyd/Conant and for what I could see the're defenitly not A.c.pictigaster.
Indeed the example that you show is clearly a A.c.pictigaster, as you showed by the U-markings.
As said before, the chance that they are intergrades between more then two ssp. is also a possibility.
Spots on the side are also common on A.c.laticinctus, and A.c. mokasen, so it's difficult to indentify them by that.
Maybe Peter can post some of the pictures he made and showed me yesterday, so you (and others)can shine your light at those.

Cause I'm still curious, and learning about all the different ssp. and how to identify. But untill now I mostly learned that there are almost no 'real' ssp. left in the hobby, at least here in Holland, because of all the crossed breeding as a result of not enough knowledge about the species.. Sad

Grtzz. Vinc.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kok
Peter Kok

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep - 23:32

these are the pictures of the copperheads i've send to vincent....

ill make some pictures of the belly's later

that there are almost no " pure " animals left is true but it would be intresting to know what is in these animals specificly....

my guess would be that we never really can find out exactly

animal nr 1

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Zijkantbijnahelelijf
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Zijachter
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Voorzij
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Bovenaf
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8514

animal nr 2

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Copper2e
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Copper2d
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Copper2c
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Copper2b
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Copper2a
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Copper2

animal nr 3

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 6
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 5
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 4
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 3
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 2
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 1

i wonder what people have 2 say about what ssp our ssp hybrids it could be...
Back to top Go down
Peter Kok
Peter Kok

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep - 23:47

as for myself

all 3 animals have something of c.laticinctus and c contortrix
can be both or a hybrid, but i dont think a direct hybrid but somwhere along the line

c. pictigaster on the otherhand i cant really see, maby the fotos of the belly's will say otherwise

very curiuos about what you guys have to say!
Back to top Go down
Alexander Nevgloski
Alexander Nevgloski

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep - 6:24

I still believe that these animals have pictgaster in them as they definitely exhibit several traits of pictigaster. The inverted U and the spots in the bands (Northern copperheads have spots between the bands, not within; and this trait can also be found in Broadbands and Taylor's cantils). The belly of laticinctus tends to be pinkish and unpatterned, and hybrids of Trans Pecos and Broadbands exhibit the darker, painted belly of pictigaster. Only belly photos will say for sure, in my mind. Alex
Back to top Go down
Alexander Nevgloski
Alexander Nevgloski

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep - 8:10

Variation in pictigaster bellies

pictigaster 1
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_0646-1-1

pictigaster 2
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_0568-1-1

laticinctus, or, at least, what I believe to be laticinctus but could be a cross
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_0658-1-1
Back to top Go down
Peter Kok
Peter Kok

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 2:00

ok, it took some time becouse my camera was broken, but i got another today, and made some picks of the bellies.
i do agree with alexander nevgloski if i compare the pictures, but i will look some other things up, and cunsult the literature availableXD
but they definitely exhibit some traits of pictigaster but i don't believe they are pure animals ( of any ssp) ( if there are any left in the world)
i'm very courious about what you guys see, and have to say

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8701
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8700
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8697
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8695
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8688
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8686

and while making the pics one of the animals had to be a pain in the *** and climbed the hook XD..
thats why a second hook is always within reach
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix 100_8691
Back to top Go down
Alexander Nevgloski
Alexander Nevgloski

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct - 5:13

You are probably correct, Peter, that these snakes are not pure examples of any of the subspecies. I would say that they definitely have pictigaster in them, and some exhibit more pictigaster traits than others, which is what you would expect when subspecies are crossed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix   Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix
Page 1 of 1