VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

South India - Kerala, February 2012

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-03-09

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Empty
PostSubject: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Mar - 1:55

Hi to all,
yesterday I returned from the sunny hills of the Idukki district, Kerala (around 800m above sea level).
The first (my favourit) pictures are ready for sharing allready and will give you a nice overview for now (of course I'll add a few things when I'm done Wink )
The wheater was great (specially if you come from about -10° to -15°) very sunny, over 30° at noon, though quite cool and foggy nights sometimes and it was very dry.
We stayed near the small town Pothupara in the middle of beautiful tea plantations, in which I fell in love immediately Laughing

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien473

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien866

morning
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1575

We had great habitats around us. Most locals "do not care" about the non unfixed routes and they have lots of undergrowth on their sides, so there are lots of animals but it is hard to follow when they want to escape. Following some advices of the people around us, we combed the area to different day-/nighttimes and were rewarded with some nice creatures Cool

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1443 South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1610

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien135

Bufo melanostictus
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien678

Calotes sp. ?
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1730

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien505

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1629

same diving...
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1631

After one week (and some failures) we got the first snake in front of our lenses!
A beautiful indian rat snake Ptyas mucosa, about 2meters in lenght.

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien943

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien930

getting grumpy after some shots Razz
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien951

cardamom field (we often went there at night, searching insects and spiders)
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien319

Heteropoda sp. (venatoria ?)
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien247

blue mormon Princeps polymnestor
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien581

Cyclosa bifida I think
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien432

Dipluridae (maybe Indothele sp. ???)
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1836

Another nice discovery (in a whole under stairs into a house) Beddome's keelback Amphiesma beddomei (~60cm)...
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1814

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1805

On the last day, few houres befor we had to leave to the airport it started raining for a while and in the heavy fog we've been lucky to find two montane trinket snake
Coelognathus helena monticollaris ~1meter and the other one a bit smaller, maybe 70cm.
wish i would have had a natural background, but it was dark, very foggy, so it was easier in this little time...

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1879

... but we had fun of course Very Happy
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1892

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1888

Trying to summarize: I'm overwhelmed with wonderful impressions from this whole journey, not only herping & landscape, the friendly people in this small town, their mentality and kindness and the huge contrasts in this country as well, not to mention the differences to European countries...
Finally, I'd love to see this place again (in a more reptile-friendly season Razz )

me after the rain, on our last day Laughing
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1875

regards,
Markus

Last edited by Markus Oulehla on Mon 5 Mar - 18:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markus_oulehla/
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Mar - 9:36

interesting trip, hope to see more of your trip, by the way in those tea plantations did you found any pit viper??
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Mar - 17:21

Hello Markus,

thank you very much for letting us participate (at least partially).

Looking forward to some additions,

Rainer
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Mar - 18:42

Gustav Eloy wrote:
interesting trip, hope to see more of your trip, by the way in those tea plantations did you found any pit viper??

Despite strenuous search, we have found no venomous snakes and only few reptiles in whole, considering the biodiversity of the area. I totally enjoyed the trip, so I can not complain, but of course it would have been nice seeing at least one cobra or pit viper Laughing
A pity that the rain started in our last hours and thats what making me damn curious to go there again in a more moist season.

I'll add are some pictures of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary near Kumily (where we enjoyed a boat trip and a walk through the forrest), in a few days when I'm done with selecting and editing Wink

regards
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar - 6:06

As I promised, some additional pictures of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary:
I joined a tour through the forrest in the morning. (Guided tours are the only possibility to leave the area around the tourist centre...)
At first it was cool and foggy, but around 9 am it became quite hot and very dry...
I really enjoyed the tour, although we haven't seen any snake, it was nice to visit their habitat (T. malabaricus should be quite common, according to the stories of the guide)
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1642

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1643

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1676

mouse deer, (Moschiola indica ?)
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1663

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1653

Araneidae
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1669

hard to get nice pictures of (fast) moving animals in the trees but I got some presentable Smile
malabar giant squirrel (Ratufa indica)
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1688

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1691

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1677

Nilgiri langur (Trachypithecus johnii) i think
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1693

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1698

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1702

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1703

indian elephants Very Happy
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1704

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1708

snackbar Laughing
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1175

bonnet macaque (Macaca radiata) around the snackbar and tourist centre
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1177

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1189

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1184

boat tour in the early afternoon
South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1252

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1201

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1246

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1259

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1269

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1284

South India - Kerala, February 2012 Indien1297

enjoy Wink

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Mar - 16:30

Awesome trip!
Stunning photos!

That last elephant looks very skinny, must of been an old one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South India - Kerala, February 2012   South India - Kerala, February 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

South India - Kerala, February 2012
Page 1 of 1