VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
John Worthington-Hill
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
John Worthington-Hill

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Empty
PostSubject: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jan - 19:36

Hey!

I'll be spending a lot of this year in India. Can anyone recommend a decent field guide to snakes?

Captain and Whitaker's 'Snakes of India' is probably too big and too expensive to be dragging through the bush...

Cheers guys!
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jan - 20:17

Yes, you are right, its a little bit to heavy, but unfortunly the very best! And maby the only with such a big bunch of exelent pictures! All the others deal only with parts of Indias wildlife, and not country wide! In my opinion, the one and only for this job! Maby you don´t have to carry it to whole day, maby pictures and compare at the end of the day!?
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jan - 0:08

I had these small guides with me in India
A guide to the Snakes of Maharashtra, Goa & Karnataka by Neelimkumar Khaire
A photographic guide to snakes and other reptiles of India by Indraneil Das

Have a happy herping!
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
John Worthington-Hill
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
John Worthington-Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jan - 0:31

Yes I have the I. Das guide. It is a handy little book but not very detailed and far from comprehensive. No doubt Whitaker and Captain's is best, but there doesn't seem to be much inbetween... Though as you say Peter, probably worth the investment and used as an evening reference book Smile

Thanks for the advice and well wishes!
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jan - 0:54

Hi John,
I´m not sure, but the fieldguide to buy here in Europe will not be the best Idee. When it comes out years ago, I bought this Book with a friend of mine together. we bought 10 books and get two free copys of them. So we have payed only 10 and got 12! We ordered them directly in India! It takes some weeks, but everthing was fine! Maby you can find this guide in an Indian bookstore, for a better price!? And, maby not the best way, buy one of the ,,Indian Issues´´ then the english version was to the one with the highest price. The reason was, to support the other ,,Indian Copys´´ soo that people in India (with not su much money) can buy them also. It was planed, that it comes out in a english version and 3-4 Indian ,,Dialects´´ (I hope this word is correct ;-). This are much cheeper, but have the same pictures with sientific names! As an ID book, more than enought!
Back to top Go down
John Worthington-Hill
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
John Worthington-Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jan - 18:10

Hi Peter,

It is quite, though I'm sure justly, expensive. So you have 2 spare copies now!? Wink

I was wondering about buying the book in India. I'm sure the Indian and English versions will both be cheaper. So maybe I'll take the I. Das guide and try to get hold of Snakes of India while there...

Cheers Peter!
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeTue 17 Jan - 0:55

Hi John,
unfortunely no, I sold all the others and have now (what a pitty) only one. When I see a chance to buy an aditional one, for a good price, I will bought them for sure.
From some books I have two, one for ,, work with´´ and one for good!
When we sell this book, people was wondering about the price around 60€ and says ,,to expensive´´ now I´see it on Amazon for 125 US.
Back to top Go down
John Worthington-Hill
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
John Worthington-Hill

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeTue 17 Jan - 23:42

Haha, no worries Peter Laughing Yea very expensive in UK, think I'll wait untill I'm there...

Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jan - 1:26

Maby you can also contact DRACO BOOKS, the publisher. I spok today with a friend and aske him, if he has a copy for left, but he has sold all! He got an Indian one, nearly the same pictures, but smaler, good quality, and this issue is not so heavy! only a 1/3 like the english one, for a ,,field guide´´ much better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?   Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any recommendations for a field guide to snakes of India?
Page 1 of 1