VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

N. Texas herping this Spring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

N. Texas herping this Spring Empty
PostSubject: N. Texas herping this Spring   N. Texas herping this Spring Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 21:53

For the most part, north Texas is pretty dismal when it comes to herps. You go south or west in Texas it gets alot better ....however, a few herps I have found this Spring on my property immediately behind my house.

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 6885698894_13703088d5[/img]

Mostly field and light woods known as "Blackland Prairie" (above and below)

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 7031794991_74b22daf2c[/img]

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 6885700840_c99e0f70ea[/img]

I have observed about a dozen three toed box (T. c. triunguis) in the past week; we also have ornate box turtles (T. ornata) but they are not as common. Below is a pic of a baby three toed I found on the road in front of my house. Luckily I was able to see this 'rock' on the road before it became a pancake.

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 6885699874_82b59e9c29[/img]

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 7031798937_c951b1e202[/img]

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 7031800485_494ac7a48d[/img]

I found this meter long female Lampropeltis callgaster last weekend. They are an extremely cryptic species - I have found everything from hatchlings to adults - most tend to be fairly dark in this area, but there are some nicely patterned specimens also.

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 6885702866_b395749083[/img]

A large Nerodia rhombifer (Diamondback Watersnake) in the 'bucket' - I have no water on the property, yet these snakes seem to be the most abundant species.

[img]N. Texas herping this Spring 6885701562_ffce454805[/img]

While this area is not especially abundant in herps, a snake like this makes it all worthwhile. This female copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) is a southern variety that I found last year in the wooded section near the back of my 6 acres..
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: N. Texas herping this Spring   N. Texas herping this Spring Icon_minitimeSun 1 Apr - 4:36

very nice very nice copperhead we have one like these one, they are very beautiful.

regards
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: N. Texas herping this Spring   N. Texas herping this Spring Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr - 14:08

Some good finds. I have yet to see a copper this year up here in Arkansas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: N. Texas herping this Spring   N. Texas herping this Spring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

N. Texas herping this Spring
Page 1 of 1