VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?

Go down 
+2
Peter van Issem
Mike Spencer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Empty
PostSubject: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr - 14:14

After a rather mild, yet unproductive winter, this season has started off pretty good over here in Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma...

January started off with just nothing more than Oklahoma and Southern redbacked salamanders.

Eurycea tynerensis - Oklahoma salamander
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6923750781_78903c8c97_z
Eurycea tynerensis by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

During the last week in February, we ended up with some decent temps that lasted a couple days so I decided it was time to get the first snake of the season.

A pair of these guys made an appearance under a large door I had laid out last year...

Diadophis punctatus arnyi - Prairie ringneck
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6778141660_f054f55287_z
Diadophis punctatus arnyi by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6778141022_3bfcac3b0e_z
Diadophis punctatus arnyi - Defensive display by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

One of which actually latched on and tried to chew for a few...
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6924257803_3b93bd19a3_z
Diadophis punctatus arnyi by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Blanchard's cricket frogs have been ever present just about everywhere, although I've never really taken the time to shoot one..

Acris (crepitans) blanchardi = Blanchard's cricket frog
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6772971444_169c5c5663_z
A. c. blanchardi by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A couple weeks ago, my buddy Brad and I went out to rack up a couple sallie lifers I've been behind on since moving out here.

Eurycea longicauda melanopleura - Dark sided salamander (Tiny individual)
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6825250512_43e7658d28_z
Eurycea longicauda melanopleura by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Eurycea lucifuga - Cave salamander
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6825250686_ecbafe111e_z
Eurycea lucifuga by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Bats were also common near the entrances to the mines we were looking around.

Perimyotis subflavus - Tricolored bat.
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6971299051_7c7b62483e_z
Perimyotis subflavus by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

and this still positively UnID'd bat as well.
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6971299097_3c0f91f740_z
Nycticeius? by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

With a couple days in the 70's and a forecast in the 80's... and us all having the day off, we decided to check on some particular den sites to see what was happening.

Turns out we hit it perfectly, turning up 5 individuals, at least one of which we believe to be a previously found/studied animal and discovered a new den.

Crotalus atrox - Western diamondback rattlesnake
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6983632937_24ce08203e_z
Crotalus atrox by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

It seems you can't find atrox without finding their counterparts. We ended up seeing 4 throughout the day, one even utilizing the same crack as C. atrox.

Masticophis (=Coluber) flagellum flagellum - Eastern coachwhip
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6837509242_c43c2d951a_z
Masticophis (=Coluber) flagellum flagellum by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A couple natricines were seen out basking.

Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis - Eastern garters

I almost stepped on this hideous little guy
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6983633219_2e55976b0e_z
Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

This larger, much better looking individual was also found.
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6983633323_20ddc4ae76_z

Not too long after, another friend, Eric East, and I went to check out a glade nearby. After the obligatory Rough earths, ringers, and Dekays, we spotted this guy just hangin' out.

Pantherophis obsoletus - Western ratsnake, in situ.
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6983633425_34948a9e9c_z
Pantherophis obsoletus in situ by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Things have been heating up a bit more the past couple weeks...

Worm snakes have been ever present just about everywhere... this juvie is the only one I've messed with this year though...
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6863664270_03d3c3c7aa_z
Carphophis vermis by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

I finally went on my first night walk of the year during an 80 degree night we recently had and it ended up going pretty well..

After searching high and low in the River Valley for rhombifer last year, finally finding one in October, it was pretty cool to see this sight a couple weeks ago...
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6887762920_13756a86ba_z
Nerodia rhombifer rhombifer by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

I don't really care about bugs, but these orb weavers have been just about everywhere I've walked at night so far and I always walk right into 'em....
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6887763268_1d91c6e8bf_z
Untitled by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Although I've only heard the calling so far (haven't seen it), Dwarf American toads have been making their presence pretty well known...
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6887764330_93a213eb31_z
Anaxyrus americanus charlesmithi by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

After failing to catch the rhombifer for better photos, I was pleased to find this little Yellowbelly foraging in the mud:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6887764658_44ccb62613_z
Nerodia erythrogaster flavigaster by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

This little slider was also poking around the shallows:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6891682042_55a4000ca2_z
Trachemys scripta elegans by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

That night is also the first time I've gotten the "Nerodia Trifecta" and found all three Nerodia species that inhabit this part of the state. I rounded it out with this little Midland...
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6891682254_e91a14aa58_z
Nerodia sipedon pleuralis by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

I ended up going back a few nights later to see if that rhombifer was still hanging around, which it wasn't, but this yellowbelly was (in situ):
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6891682118_11cdf607cf_z

For anyone that hasn't experienced erythrogaster in the wild, they are truly the devil incarnate... this is another individual found that night... and yes that's my blood. There was plenty more where it came from.
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7037776885_109e87ac0d_z

This big stub (ALSO seen that night) was a brute:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6891682828_d049b89a61_z

With a face only a herper could love:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6891682524_86e53dc898_z

This roughie also made an appearance that night. As common as they can be, it's hard to tire of these little guys:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6909720838_da8fbbbd23_z
Opheodrys aestivus aestivus by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

This oddly patterned bullfrog was in the ditch in front of my house one night:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6891682672_cf1678cb87_z
Lithobates catesbeianus by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Speckled kings have been making a regular appearance at a couple glade spots I've herped. These are all different animals:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6892688080_7a571b91ab_z
Lampropeltis getula holbrooki by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7038783489_cc30b32e18_z

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7038783695_966ef40978_z

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7038783893_68fa88b14d_z

I was starting to wonder why everyone has been seeing racers except for me, then one afternoon I flipped this nice, blueish fella:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7040817073_5502c5487e_z
Coluber constrictor priapus by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Narrowmouths, although not calling yet, have been showing up under the rocks border a glade:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 6898171222_38f33bbccb_z
Gastrophryne carolinensis by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

For the nearly two years now that I've lived in Arkansas, I've really wanted to flip a milk within state limits. I ended up flipping a couple in Oklahoma last year, but I've been working hard for an Arkansas milk...

Today, Eric East and I ended up heading to a spot south a little bit and at the very first cut we hit, I flipped this little guy:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058960711_f2c6dc99f7_z
Lampropeltis triangulum syspila by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Under a discarded round table at a trashsite we know of, this garter was working on digesting something massive:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058961101_9bf600b486_z

These awesome little endemic salamanders were also a common sight at this spot. They're only found within the confines of this one somewhat small mountain range.
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058961329_35ec29533e_z
Plethodon ouachitae by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058961563_8b47ba88dd_z
Plethodon ouachitae by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Milk number two came maybe half a mile from that spot:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058961729_94e70f1e22_z

After that 2nd cut, we headed a little ways over into Oklahoma to a cut I flipped my first milk at last year and Eric flipped this beast:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058962201_bb8dc8a48c_z

and shortly after, I flipped my third Easter milk, which was number 4 for the day:
Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? 7058962535_7158646c85_z

That just about wraps it up, save for the massive amount of everpresent ringers and earth snakes...
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr - 17:31

Very nice Mike,
like usal when you post a bunch of pic´s for us!
Thanks a lot for this.
Back to top Go down
Daniel Claesson
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Daniel Claesson

Male
Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr - 17:36

WOW very nice.

Regards
Daniel
Back to top Go down
Albert Gracer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Albert Gracer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr - 19:05

That is many interesting species that you found this year. Was a real pleasure to look at all these nice pictures that you sent. I can only dream of such a successful trip for now.
Thanks to share.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stalgo-exotic.com
Paul Bester
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeMon 9 Apr - 20:09

Awesome finds man. Looks like you had a nice time.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr - 2:05

Thanks everyone. I've been able to get into the field a couple days a week for the most part over the past month and a half or so.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Olsson Jr
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Stefan Olsson Jr

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr - 15:25

Ridiculous variation!

The in situ pic on the Yellowbelly is a diamond. And amazing shine on the racer (C. c. priapus). The Cave salamander (E. lucifuga) is stunning and new acquaintance for me.

Thanks for pics & words.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr - 21:36

Stefan Olsson Jr wrote:
Ridiculous variation!

The in situ pic on the Yellowbelly is a diamond. And amazing shine on the racer (C. c. priapus). The Cave salamander (E. lucifuga) is stunning and new acquaintance for me.

Thanks for pics & words.

Thanks a lot, Stefan. I put a lot of work into what I find and I'm glad to be able to share it with everyone. Especially things people haven't seen before. Thanks for checking it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?   Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guess it's time for a little stateside spring update, huh?
Page 1 of 1