VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Sole survivor

Go down 
+11
Johan Pennanen
Ari Finsk
Rob Deans
Sami Heikkinen
PeterMagnusson
Gavin Carpenter
Derek Morgan
Mario Lutz
Benjamin Tull
Stefan Thomson
Christian Moisander
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug - 8:31

So, as I mentioned in Mr. Keenan's thread earlier, my young adult A. nitschei pair copulated for the first time on July 12th '07. They did copulate on several other occasions later that year as well.

Finally something happened this month, on 21st; the female was finally giving birth!
The result was some unfertilized goo (soft, without solid form), 4 stillborn babies and 1 weak, miniscule baby. I was pretty sure this smaller-than-a-pencil baby wouldn't make it, but roughly 12 hours after being born, the little warrior wrestled down a whole pinkie!
It is still alive, and appears to be in a slightly sharper condition than when it was born. It looked like a female to me.

The father.
Sole survivor P1050367

The mother, filling up several days after giving birth.
Sole survivor P1000829

The very unfortunate and saddening loss.
Sole survivor P1000759

The One. Very Happy
Sole survivor P1000740
Back to top Go down
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug - 15:45

The father and the mother looks very nice. Although it´s very sad that there was only one survivor, i´m glad that there was atleast one. Knowing how you´ve tried and waited with those, if all were dead it could have had a devastating effect on you.

But it/she looks very nice, hopefully all goes well with it/her Very Happy

And ofcourse you DO have an obligation to put more pics here in the future, there aren´t that many people who have had success breeding A. nitschei (maybe some have got offspring from pregnant WC mothers..?).

Take care!

Cheers
Stefan
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Benjamin Tull
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 29 Aug - 16:37

Cheer up!
at least you have a young animal, which has a very good impression.
It is sometimes the life, cherish and maintain it. Smile
Cheers
Benjamin
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 1:47

nischei is not that easy to breed! after all, you have done it. i assume it was the second litter for your female? if yes, than well, we all know many snake moms deliver some strange litters the first time.. it is a good chance, you will be successful with breeding this amazing species next time more successful with more survivors. till then, i wish ya all the best with your lonely snake baby!

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 1:53

That's a gorgeous site, man! I'm giving props to my nitschei hero! Good job, and it will only get better from here! Maybe she'll drop 14 next year!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSat 30 Aug - 19:59

Thank you so much for all the nice and encouraging words guys, I really appreciate that.

I'll try to get some feeding shots next time she eats, if my presence won't be too disturbing.
She's still alive and seems to have enough character to occasionally threaten me if bothered Very Happy

Mario, I believe it was a very first breeding for this female. She was imported a year and a half ago, and by my estimation at that time she would've been too small to have given birth yet. Of course I can't say that for sure.
When she arrived, I'd say she was roughly as big as my 2-year-old CBB squamigera females are.

She's grown in length ever since she arrived, so maybe I fed her too little in the early stages of being gravid. Later she'd only accept a hopper mouse every now and then.
Perhaps she'd needed more food/energy for the babies to come out alive? Any thoughts on that theory?

When she was done giving birth, she didn't have that look females sometimes do. She appeared normal and not thin.
Maybe what I fed her was mostly used for her own growth? Am I talking complete nonsense here?
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 7:33

It seems to me that if there was a food issue, the babies would not have fully developed and would have possibly been deposited early as slugs. I think something went wrong in the latter parts of development and you'll never know what happened. Learn from it what you can, but don't keep kicking yourself over it.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 8:05

Thank you for the input, that does make sense.
Yes sir, will do. I'm not kicking myself as much anymore. In fact, I'm really, really happy about this little gal, and I'm focusing on the living creatures now. Smile

The baby took her second pinkie just moments ago, and here are some shots I took of the process.
She did the nitschei thing in that when I tried to feed her in her enclosure, she'd drop down to the bottom and rasp her scales, so I picked her up and fed her on the floor. Trying to avoid getting any soil in with the food.

This was the smallest pinkie I could find, maybe one day old.
Sole survivor P1010035

Held on and started to swallow, so I guess my presence wasn't too disturbing.
Sole survivor P1010041

Almost gone...
Sole survivor P1010044

And safely back home.
Sole survivor P1010054
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 11:59

That's adorable! You have to feel good seeing that happen in your own home! Very Happy And wow, she's taking to big meals easily, so that is very encouraging. Good job, buddy! And the photos came out great, too.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 16:21

Hi Christian
what temperature do you keep your Nitschei at normally? Just curious as I have kept some for a while now at temperatures a lot higher than recommended. They are still too young to breed but seem to be doing well and always shed in one piece which indicates they are doing ok at the high temperature. Im keeping them between 28 and 31 C.
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 17:01

Thanks for the positive comments man.
She is cute, isn't she? Very Happy
I feel really priviledged to have experienced this, I do.
I have started to believe that she might well make it if there's nothing wrong with her, being born so small and weak to begin with.

Even though I initially was disappointed to see dead babies, I have tried to remind myself that I'm grateful that this species have survived for a year and a half. They exceeded my expectations so far.
And I'm really happy about the fact that the gravid female dropped the babies last year; I got to practice how to keep them alive. So hopefully the same methods work with this baby, and I don't have to panic about how to keep her alive Wink

Thanks again Derek for the supportive words & attitude along the way, you helped me believe in myself as far as keeping this species goes.
I think part of this success is due to you Very Happy

Howdy Gavin.
Normally they are roughly between 25-28 C. There are fluctuations depending on the seasons and the weather. This summer, during the warmest days, the daytime temp didn't get below 26-28C on the cool side, and was mostly 30-31 under the basking light (25W spot). The gravid female was constantly at the warm end and beneath the spotlight during the day.
During the winter I let my snakeroom cool down somewhat, but still the lowest nighttime temps have been around 19C in the nitschei terrarium.
It seems as if this species tolerates warmth, but I've tried to be careful about the warmer temps, as I don't know how much they can take it. I believe it depends on where they were collected from. Mine are from Kasese, Uganda, but I don't know the exact elevation where they came from...
I've tried to follow the weather at the collection area, and I recall that the temp in Kasese wasn't 30C often. And it seems to get below 20 at nights, at least seasonally.
I must admit that for awhile I haven't checked the weather site, so these are based on my memory. Which isn't the best around... Wink
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 19:17

Hi Christian
Ok thanks for the info. I am not so worried now that I know you keep them a bit warmer as well! I have been told all sorts of things, but you are the guy that has bred them so what you are doing is right! Mine also drop to around 20 on cold nights so it is not all year round I keep them so warm!
Congratulations on your breeding success with them and Im sure next litter will be much better!
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 31 Aug - 22:29

Anytime, Christian. You did all the work. I'm just the cheering section. Wink
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep - 6:42

No problem Gavin, hope that helps. What has worked for me so far is not the ultimate truth, I think, but I hope along those lines some consistency or guideline of sorts can be found. It sure would be nice to know how other people have succeeded with nitschei and what type of setup etc. has produced matings and live babies.
I think 1.5 years is relatively short time with this species, so I hope they can tolerate at least seasonal warmth without that affecting their lifespan negatively. I guess time will tell.
And thanks for the nice words Smile

Thanks Derek. But come on... 'just the cheering section'? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct - 14:52

Well, it didn't go that well after all...
On October 13th the only survivor perished, and I'm rather clueless as to what the hell happened and why.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul - 20:26

A brighter update on this - at least for the time being Smile

Photo was taken last night;

Sole survivor P1030707
Back to top Go down
PeterMagnusson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul - 20:48

Very Nice Christian. You know where I Live Wink
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul - 20:58

Looking damn good!
Hope there is alot alive and healthy babies.

Sami
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul - 22:17

Better luck this time Christian. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ari Finsk
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jul - 2:06

Thumbs up or finger grossed or what ever they needs ... hope everything goes well this time.
Ari
Back to top Go down

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jul - 5:46

goodluck Smile
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jul - 5:51

Congrats Christian!!
Good luck with them!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jul - 0:46

You are the Nitschei Master, man! Congratulations on another successful litter! Please show pics of all of the beautiful babies, Papa Nitschei. Wink
Back to top Go down
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jul - 1:52

Congratz mate!

Finally some good news from you, and when they get good they obviously get really good Wink
But there should be more pictures by now! Hope to see some soon Smile
Many people haven´t obviously succeeded in breeding these? And you´ve done it twice now? Maybe it´s just not luck but something else....

And opposite to PeterMagnusson, i know where YOU live Twisted Evil Next time i´ll have to bring my camera with me if it´s okay with you..
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Sonny Wiktorsson

Male
Number of posts : 25

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul - 3:26

Great job done Christian!!! I really hope that it will work out better for you this time...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sole survivor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sole survivor
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Atheris-
Jump to: