VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Sole survivor

Go down 
+11
Johan Pennanen
Ari Finsk
Rob Deans
Sami Heikkinen
PeterMagnusson
Gavin Carpenter
Derek Morgan
Mario Lutz
Benjamin Tull
Stefan Thomson
Christian Moisander
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Sole survivor - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul - 22:20

Thank you all, thank you very much! Very Happy

Since I've updated news on this little project on various forums, I'm going to make it easier for myself and copy this same message to all of them and save some typing time...

So, on the night of July 16th, after the lights went off at about 11:00pm the female started to move about. I was certain that something's going to happen. She had been really plump and for the last days or weeks rather loosely coiled.
I thought I'd gave her a drink by misting/raining, and she paused for a moment to drink. As she quit drinking, it didn't take long for her to resume moving, and now she would undulate her rear end, which was slightly opened.

This took, by my estimation, about 2-3 hours. I was getting worried that things might've gotten stuck, and I was worried out of my mind...
As I checked upon her, past midnight, I noticed an unfertilized egg at the floor of the terrarium. I looked around and noticed not one but two babies crawling at the bottom as well! I was stunned and happy, this was twice as many babies as last year!

I was up until about 05:00am, July 17th, to periodically check on the female. At that point I had discovered 6 unfertilized masses and 5 live babies.
Can you imagine?! 5 live ones! Man I almost couldn't believe that.

The next morning I took the female out, and it felt like there'd be 3 small, round objects in her rear end. To this day I have not found anything more in the terrarium, and I have searched it twice. I probably will do it once more though... Laughing

At the time of this writing, all the babies are doing just fine. As I've stated before, they seem to be quite easily stressed and they are quick to leave the scene at the sight of any disturbance. A quality which, at times, makes tease-feeding a tricky business.

Later in the evening of 17th I gave the female a moderately sized mouse to help restore her energy. She took it very eagerly.
I am considering giving her a year off now, while hoping that she'd have further years ahead of her so that I could attempt breeding her again.

I attempted to feed the babies on the night of the 19th. 3 out of 5 ate several pinkie parts. They have the size to eat newborn pinks, but I believe I need to start them on bits and pieces.
At a first glance sexing these little guys by the size of their tail seemed a bit difficult, as they are almost identical in length. Will give it a shot at some point though.

I find it interesting that both litters had 5 babies and some unfertilized masses. Survival rate is different, but what affected that is a mystery to me.
I really hope that this species would continue to breed, as I would like to get more results to see if the 'problem' is with the male or the female. I was wondering if the male hasn't been cool enough to produce good enough sperm...
This year the female has had slightly cooler temps during the summer than last year. Not much, but a bit.
Hopefully in the future other individuals would breed as well.

Furthermore...
The old female that was collected gravid still has no interest in the advances of my adult male. That female gave birth to 2.1 babies less than a month after her arrival. They are now 2+ years old, and the female has nice size to her - should all go well, I believe she'd be old & big enough to have a male introduced to her next year.

And now, the pictures to accompany the long text... Smile

I only took few photos of this one baby being born to avoid stressing the female.
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1030708

The first shed.
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1030709

Individually housed the next day after being born.
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1030716

This setup should be quite familiar to most Finns; these are the plastic boxes you get for free from most video rental stores, they get their bulk candy in these.
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1030729

The flash easily makes the babies look lighter in color in most photos.
This is how dark they actually appear to the naked eye.
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1030721

I hope you guys enjoyed this little presentation. Or at least the photos... Laughing

Yeah, Peter, I know where you live... At this point I can't make any promises though. I need to see that they will keep doing great, and I need to sex them before I can even consider letting anyone go Smile

Stefan, you're welcome to come over any time, with or without a camera.

I'll keep udating this should any newsworthy issues arise.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug - 4:59

First baby to shed for the 2nd time Very Happy

Sole survivor - Page 2 P1040261-1

The rest will follow in the upcoming days, as they all have grey eyes at this point.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug - 6:07

Congratz, well done!

Man, they look cute Very Happy I have to take few extra boxes with me this weekend and distract you for awhile.... All babies are still alive and doing well?
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug - 15:56

very nice Cool good that they do beter then last time,goodluck in futher raising them
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Rosberg
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Sebastian Rosberg

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug - 16:24

It is a really amazing snake. they are so beautiful =)
Congratulations =)
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug - 20:00

Keep up the good work Moisa!

Perhaps I could also pay a visit you when I'll come to Tampere after Raised Fists gig at September... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug - 0:44

Thank you so much for the supportive words, I really appreciate them.

Yes, so far all are doing well. Can't wait to see the rest of them shed as well Smile

I'm sure we can work something out Sami, keep in touch and we'll see how schedules match when you're in the neighbourhood. How long are you staying in Tampere?
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug - 5:45

Remember Sami, I'll send you the money and then we'll split the loot 50-50! Get me some of his sweet squams, too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug - 13:37

Derek Morgan wrote:
Remember Sami, I'll send you the money and then we'll split the loot 50-50! Get me some of his sweet squams, too! Laughing
Shhh.. don't expose our cunning plan.. I'll PM you about the details
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Janne Penttinen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug - 3:45

Congrats, Christian!
believe me, I know there's no comfort when a litter goes ill.

You definetly deserve your succes considering all the dedication and work.

And Sami, if I'll see you on Raised Fist, I will roll you over on circle pit.
Make no mistake.
hahahah
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep - 22:30

Thank you very much Janne, I truly appreciate that.

Derek, Sami, come on now... Hehe Smile

Five more days and the 2-month-mark is upon the babies. At this point I'm fairly hopeful that these guys will make it.
All have shed twice now and they hammer down whole pinkies with ease - and they have grown length quite considerably. Still jumpy.
I have updated pics of them, I'll post them a little later.

I admit that sexing by looking at the babies - any species other than puniceus Laughing - is something I'm not too confident at. I thought I learned with squamigera, but with these guys, I don't know... Still, at the moment it seems to me that they are 2.3.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep - 0:46

And here they are...

ANU-0901-female
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1040662

ANU-0902-female
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1040384

ANU-0903-female
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1040256

ANU-0904-male
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1040392

ANU-0905-male
This guy has a minor kink in his neck, but he's going strong nonetheless.
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1040410
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep - 4:23

Sweet! Keep the update coming when they start changing color.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Sep - 13:09

They look awesome bro. Nice job!
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep - 11:34

Very nice! They have already changed so much and they are just gorgeous. They're so cute that you're going to have to come up with better names than just their birth designation. I'd just have to keep them all, if I were you.....or I'd sell them to my good buddy Derek! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep - 23:35

Thanks a lot guys. I have to say, I'm so happy that they are doing well.

I haven't named a snake in ages, it's just those boring codes...
I must admit that after reading Greg Maxwell's book, I did think about naming certain individuals of certain species, but never did so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep - 6:45

Wonderful job! I was reading the thread and got really sad when I read about the fate of the sole survivor but this year seems awesome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep - 8:23

Man your on fire! Keep up the great work!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec - 7:23

still doing good?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Apr - 14:50

Well, here's a long overdue update...

Thank you for the nice comments.
Yeah, Dave, the hold-backs are in top-notch condition. I sold 2.1 and kept these two females for myself. I really like how different they are from each other, and I really hope that some day they would successfully breed.
Interesting note; ANU-0902 only accepts frozen/thawed meals, live or freshly killed may be bitten but otherwise they are ignored.
The following pics were taken yesterday.

ANU-0901
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1060859

Sole survivor - Page 2 P1060861

ANU-0902
Sole survivor - Page 2 P1060871

Sole survivor - Page 2 P1060866
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Apr - 15:08

They look amazing!
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Apr - 16:43

Looking good Christian!
Are you expecting more babies this year?
Back to top Go down
Ari Finsk
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Apr - 17:09

Shocked Exellent Christian ... that 0901 is amazingly coloured (on my eyes) and hope that you "give us" a new litter to admire this year.
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 5 Apr - 18:20

Reeealy fantastic little ones! Very Happy
Thanks for update Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 6 Apr - 4:04

Very very nice, Mr. Moisander! We're going to have to change your forum rank from "Snakemaster" to "Nitschei Master". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sole survivor   Sole survivor - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sole survivor
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Atheris-
Jump to: