VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Who keeps Mambas?

Go down 
+21
Manuel Reiss
Torben Touwslager
Danny Breetveld
Gustav Eloy
Marius Snyders
April Mandel
Alexander Jackson
Jamie Osburn
Chip Cochran
Johan Pennanen
pete blake
Peter Zürcher
Frederik Wustrack
Guenter Leitenbauer
Benjamin Tull
Harold van der Ploeg
Mario Strasser
AndrewGalano
Randy Ciuros
Peter Pastor
Mario Lutz
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeFri 7 Mar - 8:57

Here at HerpaWorld we keep Dendroaspis polylepis and Dendroaspis angusticeps.
Mambas are incredible as they seam to be very intelligent.

who else keep Mambas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Mar - 0:18

Hi Mario,

as you know already, out of other snakes we keep also mambas. At the moment we have in collection the following species:

* Dendroaspis angusticeps (South African form, which could be separate species in the future)
- we lost our breeding pair of angusticeps from Tanzania last year, unfortunatelly at the moment when female was carrying 9 almost fully developed eggs inside... Sad Mad We will get new animals from Tanzania this year for sure...
* Dendroaspis jamesoni kaimosae
* Dendroaspis polylepis from Tanzania
* Dendroaspis viridis

In 2 days we are awaiting shipment from SA, where should be presented more D. angusticeps and CB babies of SA D. polylepis (just 2 pcs, but we are very happy about them, although at the moment we don`t know gender of them). I am working on importing of nice group of adult black mambas from Swaziland, which should follow in approx. 2 weeks. They are big, and we are looking forward to have them over here...

On this Saturday we are getting our first specimen of Dendroaspis jamesoni jamesoni, huge adult male in trade. I hope to get more specimens of this species, we always wanted to have them... So, according to mambas, we have very exciting near future over here... Smile

Our breeding male of Dendroaspis viridis was over 2 females already, so we hope for more clutches from this species this year. One more female is still waiting for the male. We are hoping in the best, as 2 of these females are bred by us as F1 generation. If we have success with them now, it would be already F2 generation bred over our facility, and it`s something we are looking for within all species. Breeding male is unrelated to this females, so we are not mixing father with daughters... Cool

Here are few pictures from period when we built new cages for our "tree" mambas...

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas01

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas02

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas03

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas05

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas06

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas07

Who keeps Mambas? Cagesformambas08

The cages aren`t build for public exposition, but for breeding purposes... Mambas like them so far, and when everything goes well, you can be surprised by nice event as that on next pictures... Very Happy

Who keeps Mambas? Dendroaspisviridiseggs02-1

Who keeps Mambas? Dendroaspisviridiseggs01-1
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Mar - 12:24

i am inpressed by your cage system peter!

wood is just not the right material here in the philippines, as termites would eat it in a flash. i am planning right now big outdoor enclosure for our mambas. we keep this time 2.1 Dendroaspis angusticeps and 1.1 Dendroaspis polylepis. both species are awesome and i am crazy with them.

your idea with your hiding-boxes will be definitely be considered in my design of the cages. i would just love to see my snakes outdoors coz we have such perfect climate here for them. and mambas such nice active animals, there is always somethings who can be observed by watching them, especially if you keep them in groups, i can clearly see they love company.

i keep my fingers crosses for your breeding efforts, especially on D.viridis and D.jamesoni (you know where to send some babies, dont you?)!

thanks for sharing
Cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr - 12:28

Real nice cages Peter. She stacked up those eggs all nice and neat too didn't she? I've only had 0.1 D. polylepis and 0.1 D. angusticeps. Before I moved I sold them to Dean Ripa. He needed females of both species to go with his males, and since I'm more into Cobras and PNG/Irian Jaya/Oz elapids, I decided not to keep the Mambas. To be honest, I'd rather deal with Taipans, King Browns and Common Browns, than Black Mambas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr - 13:06

Randy Ciuros wrote:
. To be honest, I'd rather deal with Taipans, King Browns and Common Browns, than Black Mambas.

why is that Randy?

cheers
Back to top Go down
AndrewGalano
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
AndrewGalano

Male
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr - 13:32

nice setup. i have to agree with Mario that wood isnt the best material in PI with all the heat and humidity too.
anyway, im surprised the "nest box" worked for them well.

sorry for my ignorance but does this species really deposit eggs in high nests?

just probably like in the wild, crevises of dead tress or old nest of birds?

goodluck with them! your female certainly looks pretty
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr - 13:59

hi andrew,

thats more of an hiding box....
it is much safer, as you can look the animals inside and work safe inside the terrarium. second, yes -they do lay there eggs inside the boxes as they feel safe and undisturbed.
in the wilderness, mambas are known to deposit their clutches inside hollow trees, rotten and moist is what they like, diba?

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
AndrewGalano
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
AndrewGalano

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr - 18:13

thanks for the info bro. Are all mambas semi arboreal species? or they arent? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Apr - 22:20

[/quote]Randy Ciuros wrote:
. To be honest, I'd rather deal with Taipans, King Browns and Common Browns, than Black Mambas.

why is that Randy?

From my experience keeping 0.1 E.A. Green Mamba, 0.1 Black Mamba, 0.1 2 Taipans, 2.1 King Browns, 1.1 Eastern (Common) Browns, and1.0 Papuan Blacksnake, I would rather deal with the Black Mamba the least. The PNG/OZ stuff may have more toxic venom, but the attitude of the Black Mamba was almost always a bad intentioned one. Maybe it was just the particular Black I had, but she always gave me more attitude than any of the others. The Green Mamba wasn't bad at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Mario Strasser

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr - 5:26

I keep a pair of D.jamesoni kaimosae
Back to top Go down
http://www.giftschlangen-freiburg.de
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr - 9:30

Mario Strasser wrote:
I keep a pair of D.jamesoni kaimosae

did you have some breeding success with them mario?
i am looking badly for cb, as i always here from everybody, all the wc kept dying all the time. seem to me, such many folks have had a very negative experience.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Mario Strasser

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr - 14:22

Hello Mario !

My pair is CB. The mother was caught in the wild and was kept by Cem Toygar. I got my pair as babys (50cm). They´re now three years old and are doing very well.I´ve never had problems with them in any way.I´ll hope to get offspring someday.If you like I can send you some pictures the next days.

cheers,

Mario S
Back to top Go down
http://www.giftschlangen-freiburg.de
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 6 May - 9:02

hello Mario...

yes, please send some picture...!
i cant get enough of them..

thanks for the information as well

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 7 May - 6:10

Mamba's belong to my all time favorites!
Here are some shots of my Dendroaspis viridis:

Who keeps Mambas? Viridis_04_2006a

Who keeps Mambas? Viridis_04_2006b

Who keeps Mambas? Viridis_PICT6868

Who keeps Mambas? Viridis_PICT6874

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeWed 7 May - 8:53

Wow, amazing picture and amazing animals...
thanks for sharing them...

cheers
mario
Back to top Go down
AndrewGalano
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
AndrewGalano

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeFri 9 May - 0:47

a looker indeed!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeFri 9 May - 0:57

yes andrew... they are just stunning animals!

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeSun 4 Jan - 5:19

Who keeps Mambas? Dendro11

i miss her so much...
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Tull
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeSun 4 Jan - 17:16

I´m keeping all species
D. polylepis, D. angusticeps, D. viridis, D. jamesoni jamesoni and finally D. jamesoni kaimosae. I love them all Very Happy
Cheers
Benjamin
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jan - 2:52

For an interested outsider as I am, this thread is really interesting. I would not have thought that so many people keep mambas. These are the snakes I maybe have the greatest respect of all if I would encounter one in the wild though I read and heard that this species are rather calm after some period in captivity.

I am looking forward to read more in this thread Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Frederik Wustrack
Frederik Wustrack

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: I keep Mamba´s!!   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jan - 1:24

Hello together,

instead to contribute at the introductions, I write my first post here at "Dendroaspis".

Why?

Because Dendroaspis are my all over favorites! I am keeping snakes now from over 30 years and Dendroaspis now for 15 years.
I started with D. angusticeps and I think it was a wise decision! I grow with them, while observing Dendroaspis behavior. And angusticeps have a nice behavior!
Later on I have got D. viridis, D. polylepis and D. j. kaimosae. Only D. j. jamesoni are missing in my collection at the moment.
With D. angusticeps I am breeding every year since 10 years, but now my old female is very old and the guy died last year. I kept some young individuals for my collection. At the moment Michael Kreuzer and me keep our elder D. angusticeps together and it might be possible that there are some offsprings this year, but it is not sure. In the future I will protect the old female from pregnancy, because it is not easy for her. I think in the nature it would be similar and old females can avoid pregnancy.

With my D. viridis it is nearly the same. My female must be now around 20 years old, but she is a very superior animal and the guy is without a chance at mating season. @ all: I am looking for a young female! (who don´t do this!!)

My D. polylepis (1 South african couple and a mixed couple (South african guy and Tansanian female)) are to young for breeding at the moment. We will see, what happens in the future! They are great individuals, really characters!

My D. j. kaimosae are the animals of Roger Aeberhard from Switzerland (you should know them from Roger´s article in the Reptilia last year). They are really crazy animals but after 6 month I arranged with them. They mated in late november 2008 and I think she is pregnant now. I hope for a better breeding success than at Roger´s place (a lot of unfertilzed eggs, dying newborns), because they should have reached their full maturity now (they are 6 years old now). It was the same experience with my D. angusticeps: the first years were very mixed, but when they were 7 or 8 years old, they started a great run!

There are some other venoms at my place like Naja nigricincta woodi (30 years old guy and - I think - the last mohican in Europe), Daboia r. russelli (with a lot of cb´s from 2008 ) and Crotalus polystictus.

I hope I find with venomland a good place for talking about venomous snakes, my first impression says "Yes"!

Regards and greetings from Germany

Frederik
cheers

Last edited by Frederik Wustrack on Sun 18 Jan - 21:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jan - 2:22

Hi Frederik
Welcome here! Very Happy
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Benjamin Tull
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jan - 16:40

What´s up Harold, where are your pictures going on?
Hi Frederik, wellcome here Smile
Cheers
Benjamin

Who keeps Mambas? Image1968
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jan - 3:11

Hi Benjamin,

there were some server problems, sorry.
But it looks it has been fixed again.

@ Frederik:
Welcome at Venomland!

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Benjamin Tull
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jan - 15:56

really beautyfull shots Very Happy
Cheers
Benjamin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Who keeps Mambas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who keeps Mambas?   Who keeps Mambas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who keeps Mambas?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next