VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

A.ceratophora breeding protocol

Go down 
+2
Mario Lutz
Neil Villard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Neil Villard
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Neil Villard

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-10-09

A.ceratophora breeding protocol Empty
PostSubject: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jan - 16:31

All is in the title Wink

a person which would have reproduced will ceratophora could it indicate under which conditions it to maintained these adults and which period " hivernal" seem to be best adapted. I passably read opinions different on activation from the cycle of reproduction.

Thanks

Neil Villard
Back to top Go down
http://www.vuivra.ch
Neil Villard
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Neil Villard

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeThu 5 Feb - 21:54

can't people answer me?
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeThu 5 Feb - 22:29

stay patient Neil,

our Atheris community surly answers to your question if they have knowledge.
unfortunately, i cant help you, as i have no experiences with the whole genus until now.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Jon Kendrick
Jon Kendrick

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb - 5:49

I've been keeping Cerat's for several years, but haven't actually had them reproduce here. I have had gravid females come in from the wild and I was surprised at the lengthy gestation period, and the tiny size of the babies. One female that gave a good litter on December 26th one year (can't remember when off the top of my head) had been imported in June of the same year and had been kept individually since arrival in the country. She had two babies and one slug.

I'm under the impression the wet/dry season has something to do with reproductive stimulation, but I've not specifically put any extensive efforts into mine. This year I hope to control things a little better and hopefully start getting some definitive results.

All the best,

JonK
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb - 10:36

Hi Neil. Sorry for the silence on my part, but like Jon K, I have not had success captive breeding this species yet and I was hoping someone else would answer you who has.

I had two imported females drop babies for me this year and they were both visibly gravid in June when I acquired them. They did not drop babies until November (one actually dropped slugs). I have a friend who bred his cerats in April (they bred on many separate occasions) of last year and they dropped slugs in late November. So I feel that gestation for this species is 7-8 months at least. If mine were visibly gravid and didn't drop babies for another six months, that means they go for a long time. I've also seen newborn babies from imports in the summer, so they may reproduce at different times of the year in the wild, as well.

My recommendation is to keep them mild with mild humidity and temps for a while and then make a sudden shift to colder and wetter and pair them up and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Neil Villard
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Neil Villard

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb - 16:06

Thank you with you for your precision, I read once on a protocol of reproduction. That it stays necessary to make one cold period 10°C-12°C. You think that it is not too cold?
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb - 17:40

Neil,

like i said, i have no experiences with Atheris, but i was 2 times in Tanzania, on Mnt. Meru for example, and on Mt. Kilimanjaro drops Temperatures in Winter June/July to 0°C. Well, i dont really know how high Atheris ceratophora climbs, but i can tell you, even here in the Philippines, some winter-nights, 10°C in not uncommon, depends where you go. rapid climate and temperature changes are not uncommon in higher rainforest elevations in tropical countrys..

A.ceratophora breeding protocol C6330110
Climate Map of Tabora, Tanzania (Elevation 1265 metres)

A.ceratophora breeding protocol Eb483510
Climate Map of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (Elevation 14 metres)

i would probably not Hybernate at 10°C, but 14°-15°C, i dont see why not.. we hybernate our Parias mcgregori at 10°C for two weeks, no problem at all... Here its cold and wet, in Tanzania cold and relatively dry instead..

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Neil Villard
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Neil Villard

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeWed 18 Feb - 21:15

thank you very much for your answer it is a good confimation for me.
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb - 3:48

Atheris ceratophora climbs from ~ 700m to 1900 m
Atheris squamigera ~ 800 to 1700 m
Atheris nitschei over 2200 m

Regards, Michael
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb - 4:03

I think its got alot to do with where your located. My cerata like it around 74 (23.3°C) in the day and 70 (21.1 °C) at night and they flourish. I started out at higher temps and they just seemed to want to mope around on the bottom of there cages once i turned down the temps they stick to the branches and are quite active.

Edited by Mario: please try to use Metric data, the whole world is using it, we are using it too...! cheers
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb - 5:25

10 C sounds a bit low to me, as well. I've personally done 3 months at 14-15 C and had no problems with them. I provided a basking light and they basked sometimes and sometimes they didn't.

Timothy, what species is that on your avatar? If that is ceratophora, it has to be the fattest one I've ever seen. Or it's just the way the pic was taken.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb - 12:13

Yes Derek its one of my cerats. the pic was taken up close she's probably as wide as my middle finger.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Christ
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thomas Christ

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun - 3:11

@Derek

Quote :
I've personally done 3 months at 14-15 C and had no problems with them

How you hold it with the humidity?
Do you spray water in the cold phase, and when yes how often?

Cheers, Tom

Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun - 7:51

Hi Thomas, my basement is pretty humid as it is (~60%), so I don't need to spray too often. I spray them once every 7-14 days (more often when trying to stimulate breeding). I think that we often times associate spraying with humidity, but I try not to do that too much because it just makes the cages too wet. If I need to raise the humidity in a cage, I am more likely to dump water into the bottom of the substrate to do so. I do spray cages to simulate rain and what not, but I do not routinely spray cages to keep the humidity up....if that makes sense. Smile
Back to top Go down
Thomas Christ
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Thomas Christ

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jun - 1:26

Thank you for the infos, Derek.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A.ceratophora breeding protocol   A.ceratophora breeding protocol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A.ceratophora breeding protocol
Page 1 of 1