VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bad News From The U.S.

Go down 
+15
Albert J. Montejo
Walter Kidd
Raymond Hoser
Greg Spencer
Kelly Chabak
Johan Söderström
Guenter Leitenbauer
Simon Ball
Nigel Sowter
Peter Schulze Niehoff
Rainer Fesser
Brett Franklin
Jon Davidson
Marthinus C. Harmse
Jason Will
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 22:09

Unbelievable!

What exactly, Mr. Montejo, has the removal of venom glands in healthy snakes to deal with medically indicated masectomy or emergency blood transfusions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 22:40

Very good question Peter, if you study the second part of the statement you may understand.

Dr. Rainer Fesser has explained that there are two sides to every subject, i believe even more perhaps three, four or more absolute scientific truths.

It is best you agree with me that a reptile born in captivity is an agricultural product, just like any other animal produced to serve mankind in the way that he (Human) sees fit.

ill be more generous with my examples.

a) Wild feral pigs domesticated for human consumption and science, pigs anatomy is very close to humans.

b) Wild freedom loving horses broken and domesticated for human use and service even in a circus.

c) Wild freedom loving dogs broken and domesticated for human use and service even in a circus.

Peter Zurcher wrote: What exactly, Mr. Montejo, has the removal of venom glands in healthy snakes to deal with medically indicated masectomy or emergency blood transfusions?

im not a scientist nor a surgeon so i cant comment on the procedure of venom gland removal and it's efficacy, perhaps a DVM can. Both are medical procedures .

Addtl. if you don't agree with me that an animal born in captivity is produced to serve man , than i think it is unthinkable to take away it's freedom (akin to venom gland removal) and put it in a cage for your pleasure, or as in the case of a zoo to profit from it's freedom .

Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 22:54

Albert J. Montejo wrote:
im not a scientist nor a surgeon so i cant comment on the procedure of venom gland removal and it's efficacy, perhaps a DVM can. Both are medical procedures .

Sure. Euthanasia is also a medical procedure. Lobotomy too. And maybe cleaning Your teeth too? All the same, so we can discuss it all together.
SMDH ...

Albert J. Montejo wrote:
Science is defined as a cold mathematical logic applied to a subject matter, in the hope of validating or ivalidating a common statement or belief.

Emotions nor ethics can coexsist with science

One of the most stupid arguments I've ever read here. Science NEEDS ethics to be useful.
What happens if science would be as You state is well known ... just have a look into Your history books or environmental (no)care, genetic technology (Monsanto is a good example), Fukushima, ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 23:28

Quote :
Both are medical procedures .
Yes.
I wonder if you can't see the point of difference, or if you just don't want to.....

Masectomies and blood transfusions are indicated medical procedures in order to save someones life - whereas venom gland removals are just mutilations of healthy animals.

Don't come up with strange comparisons like cows or tunas - no misdoing can be excused by another one.

Quote :
if you don't agree with me that an animal born in captivity is produced to serve man , than i think it is unthinkable to take away it's freedom

Very confusing.
How can i take away the freedom of a captive born animal?
And keeping animals in captivity does not mean they don't have any rights, therefore one cannot argue if they don't have their freedom anyway they don't need their physical intactness or you can feel free to injure them.

and let me tell you finally one thing as a normal user, not as an admin:
I'm not very happy to have an agent provocateur like you here, you brought too much confusion, too much disturbance right away from your start.
regards
Peter

Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 23:48

Accept it as robust debate and nothing more, .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CDoQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCaptivity_(animal)&ei=KNzwTbTAHuj20gGFv7CbBA&usg=AFQjCNGAHBvnoqe2YnBMlPE2ql5TwPNjKQ

Best regards ,

Albert.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jun - 23:52

Mr Montejo, it is impossible to debate with You.
Always when You have no arguments You simply put something completely unrelated into the debate, most of the time as needless as wrong. You then are again refuted and the game repeats again and again until You finally post a link to Wikipedia which also has nothing useful to add to the discussion.
It is like discussing with a little child.

Regards,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun - 0:16

LULz's.... Agent provacatuer ?, well i must admit new word for me ,
so i google it, and under Google images .

Thanks , i wish !!!

Best regards , Albert.

Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun - 0:31

Peter Zürcher wrote:

'I wonder if you can't see the point of difference, or if you just don't want to.....'

'I'm not very happy to have an agent provocateur like you here, you brought too much confusion, too much disturbance right away from your start'.

I agree- with both points- and I'm sure that there are many other members here who concur, as well. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jun - 18:59

Peter Zürcher wrote:
Injuring these snakes just for the purpose to act with'em like a tomfool in a cheap, circus-like merritment isn't debatable in my opinion.
I cannot see any educational value here - or at most a counterprocuctive one.

Leave'em charged with all their weapons and possibilities, accept'em as they are, or switch to Cornsnakes (sorry to the Cornsnakes)

regards
Peter

Well said Peter.
Back to top Go down
Paul Rowley
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jul - 6:36

It shouldn't really make any difference if a snake is a harmless colubrid, an intact venomous snake or one that has been mutilated in order to make it "safe"... a good snakeman should be striving to avoid being bitten, especially if they claim to be a "professional".

I have been keeping snakes for over 40 years and working with venomous since the 80's and I can still count on one hand the number of harmless / mildly venomous bites I have received and with the other hand, the number "real" venomous bites ... bear in mind that as a professional Herpetologist working for a venom research unit, I am handling more intact, venomous snakes than the majority of professional "snakemen". Most UK Zoos have zero handling policies these days. Given the tens of thousands of hours handling I have racked up, the ratio of bites I have received is very low.

In regards to venomoids, I have only ever handled one, a Thai Cobra that was on display in Liverpool Museum sometime in the late 90's. I was asked by the museum Staff if I could go down and help them with this snake as it had not shed properly. I handled the snake in the same gentle but safe way I would with any of the specimens at work.

I accept that there are rare situations were some people could justify the need for a venomoid snake... public museums, film work and possibly the "testing" of hexarmor gloves (something else I don't own or use as I just can't work in gloves, especially as I need to feel what I am doing while extracting venom).

I believe that there are some people out there that use venomoid snakes in public demonstrations and actually allow the snakes to bite them! This might impress some gullible members of the public but for anyone who understands that these once dangerous snakes have been mutilated in order to render them harmless, this is about as impressive as seeing a magician saw a woman in half on stage... everyone knows he didn't really cut her in half, it was a con trick..... the person hasn't "survived" the bite of a venomous snake because it is no longer venomous.... so really what's the point of of it all?

It would be a totally different issue if we were talking about the self immunisation guys, Bill Haast being the most famous example.... he really did "survive" countless venomous snake bites, no trickery involved there!

When you are working with real venomous snakes rather than "deactivated" venomoids (and your not an SI'er) you do tend to consider the risks more and always try and work in a safe manner!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad News From The U.S.   Bad News From The U.S. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad News From The U.S.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2