VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)

Go down 
+15
Tom Winters
Tanja Schmidt
Martin Romanov
Daniel Claesson
Tim Leerschool
Grégoire Meier
Guenter Leitenbauer
Nigel Sowter
Fabian Dirks
Rainer Fesser
Paul Batchelor
Graeme Skinner
Hans Bergman
Simon Ball
Markus Oulehla
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Empty
PostSubject: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr - 6:08

A few friends and myself had a nice one-day trip to the Rax, on the eastside of the alps, looking for common adders.
We were at about 1600 meters above sea level and had around 10° C. The weather was very unstable, changing from cloudy to rain and sometimes the the sun broke through.
We found one little Zootoca vivipara and 7 adders Very Happy in this really beautyful habitat.

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0665

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0734

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0733

male
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0687

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0801

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0783

a friend taking pictures (with leather gloves of course!)
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0670

and his awesome shot Very Happy
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSC_4088

female
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0745

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0752

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0778

regards
Markus

Last edited by Markus Oulehla on Tue 30 Apr - 6:16; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markus_oulehla/
Simon Ball
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr - 13:20

Very nice. Thank you for posting. It's a treat to see these animals in their natural habitat - especially for someone like me on the other side of the world!
Back to top Go down
Hans Bergman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Hans Bergman

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr - 13:40

Are all adders black up there?

very nice pictures
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr - 15:34

Great post

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr - 16:57

Thank you all for the nice feedback Smile

@ Simon: I really love searching reptiles and amphibians in their natural environment. Even though I really want to travel in some other countries, I think this is a very good preparation and a little safer place to be on such trips.

@ Hans: We only found very dark individuals, 2 females and one male had a poor visible pattern on their back, and the females had those brighter lips. The others (all males) were all black.
Maybe the black V. berus took their advantage to heat up faster and the light-colored hid?
But there are "normal" colored/ patterned common adders aswell.

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Paul Batchelor
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeSun 1 May - 1:05

Very beautiful scenery and some cracking shots!
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeSun 1 May - 3:57

Hello Markus,

thank you for posting this. Beautiful snakes, very good photos.

Hans: Back in the seventies we made some research about V. berus in that area. In the Rax- Schneeberg- Klostertal-area (all one big population of V. berus with very high density in some places) we found 50-60% black individuals (only adults, they start brown as other V. berus), most other males were light grey, the patterned females usually brown, rarely reddish or brownish-orange. The animals Markus shows are quite typical for the black ones there - males mostly entirely black, females with lighter lips and throat.

Regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeSun 1 May - 5:05

Hi,
yes Rainer, thats exactly what we have seen!

I got some other pictures of one of the females we've found (taken by a good friend) to show the bright lips and on the last one the reddish coloration Smile

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSC_4156-Kopie

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSC_4184-Kopie

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSC_4159-Kopie

regards
Markus [b]

Last edited by Markus Oulehla on Mon 12 Sep - 22:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 3:04

Hello Markus,
thank you for the additional pictures. I love them. I think V. berus are beautiful snakes, and an entirely black male like the one you posted is a pleasure to look at whenever I see one.

Rainer
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 3:23

Nice captures and some real stunners !
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 15:20

Really like those black adders & stunning scenery.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 16:33

Great markus, Your skills as a photographer are fine! Really good work!
Kind regards,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 16:49

Thanks Guenter Very Happy
I'm really looking forward to the next trip to the Rax, it was very impressive, so I can't wait to see more adders!

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 17:36

I appreciate the gloves Wink
Did one try to bite?
Back to top Go down
Grégoire Meier
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Grégoire Meier

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 18:28

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
http://serpenti-del-ticino.over-blog.org/
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 18:47

Safety first Guenter Wink
Generally I'm not a fan of gloves, but in some situations they are quite helpful.

We came a half meter close to the adders before they tried to escape, so we were able to take some "in situ pictures". For the closer shots we catched them and took them a few meters to a clear place to take the pictures. (We brought them all back exactly to the spot where they have been catched!)

When the adders noticed us, they started hissing (realy loud for such little snakes Razz ) then turn around and tried to escape between the rocks or into one of the bushes. After we grabed them, they hissed even louder, some of them twined around, and some do defense-bites, but they never chew on the gloves and we didn't find any sign of venom on the gloves...
But all of the adders and (on other trips) grass snakes attacked the lens of the SLR cam...

Laughing
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSCN0820

regards
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 2 May - 20:43

Just a Nikon, of course they do Very Happy
They would not dare to do that with a Canon LOL
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 15:16

Hello Guenter,

Sorry to have to contradict you, they DO it with Canon too. A V. ammod. even made my front-lens (daylight-filter as a protection for such events) useless on one occasion.
But the photo I could take before was worth it.

Cheers,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Tim Leerschool

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeTue 10 May - 2:14

Excellent shots Marcus! The vipers look stunning! I love the female one where you can still see the brownish teint on her lips, excellent!

The habitat is stunning. Still with some snow! It always surprises me that they are so ''cold-resistant'' although it is no rare site in some places to see them basking just a few inches away from it.

Black adders do have an advantage I believe in colder regions being darker or even melanistic. It helps them to warm up more quickly. Just as you had suggested.

Last week I visited the Bayerische Wald (Germany) and Karkonoski National Park (Chzech Republic) for melanistic V. berus but no luck. I was bound to a pre-set schedule so I had almost no time to search in the right places! Still, it was a nice trip. Maybe I'll post some pictures soon Wink

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeTue 10 May - 2:31

Rainer, where ist the photo?
I'm curious!
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeTue 10 May - 4:12

Hello Guenter,
here is the photo. As a photo it is not outstanding but the background of the story (not of the photo) is.

Usually in this place (a hibernation- and breeding-site where I watch the snakes each spring since 1989) the Vipera ammodytes are extremely calm and inoffensive. I can stand among 50 of them and touch them or even pick them up carefully (with glove as I love to live healthy) and never experienced any attempt to bite.
The male on the photo was combat-fighting with another (bigger) male 5m. above me on a bush at the upper edge of a rock-wall. Suddenly he dropped and landed right in front of my face on a little Berberis-bush that grew out of a crack in that wall. He was extremely agitated. I took some photos and when I tried to make some closeups he eventually bit the lens.

Maybe he did not mean the Canon but the (Hama) filter. That might be an excuse. I agree with you: Nobody should dare to bite a Canon.

Cheers,
Rainer
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Img_6010
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul - 10:28

Little Update:
Concerning the color variation of the common adders on the Rax: Beside the black indivuduals as seen on the pictures, friends of mine found some brownisch ones, one grey with high contrast black markings on the back and a beautiful red individual (unfortunately i missed that trip...)

Today (or yesterday, meanwhile) we saw a few adders, but the vegetation has grown a lot since my last visit, so it was more difficult. But we were able to take pictures of two of them Very Happy

Habitat
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 1771

First one was a female, about 55cms length, again qiute dark with an awesome blue shimmer, bright lips, and she has got some little, irregularly distributed, golden spots on her body.

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 1776

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 1777

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17718

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17717

two portraits
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17711

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17710

A little later, we found a juvenile adder ~30cm, unfortunately she was going to shed, so she isn't as stunning as she'll be in a few days... Razz
We didn't want to stress this little snake to much, so we just took a few and let her go (wasn't that simple, according to her situation she never hold still and bit everything Twisted Evil )
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17727

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17722

In the end we enjoyed the wonderful view...
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) DSC_0420

... and were able to take pic's of this -quite stress-resistent- viviparous lizard (Zootoca vivipara). The others have been just to fast and took the advantage of the high vegetation to hide...
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17744

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17742

And we saw lots of edelweiss (Leontopodium alpinum) Very Happy
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) 17728

Hope you enjoy the pic's Wink

regards
Markus

Last edited by Markus Oulehla on Fri 22 Jul - 20:28; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul - 15:56

I think I need to visit that part of the world to see some of those stunning berus!
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul - 20:13

Graeme Skinner wrote:
I think I need to visit that part of the world to see some of those stunning berus!

I can only recommend that Wink
As always, you need the right circumstances to see some vipers, in spring the chances are much better than in summer!

regards
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul - 21:23

Graeme, give me an PN if You plan to come to Austria - and let's take some pictures of V. berus and other snakes together. As I am very unlucky finding snakes in the field I'd love to have a field trip with Markus and You then.
Regards,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next