VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)

Go down 
+15
Tom Winters
Tanja Schmidt
Martin Romanov
Daniel Claesson
Tim Leerschool
Grégoire Meier
Guenter Leitenbauer
Nigel Sowter
Fabian Dirks
Rainer Fesser
Paul Batchelor
Graeme Skinner
Hans Bergman
Simon Ball
Markus Oulehla
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul - 23:09

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
Graeme, give me an PN if You plan to come to Austria - and let's take some pictures of V. berus and other snakes together. As I am very unlucky finding snakes in the field I'd love to have a field trip with Markus and You then.
Regards,
Guenter

Perhaps we make some plans for next year, spring perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul - 23:42

Yes, that would be nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul - 4:13

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
As I am very unlucky finding snakes in the field I'd love to have a field trip with Markus and You then.

Yeah, I'd appreciate that Very Happy
I/we, are planing some trips for fall and will be there next spring a few times too.
I'd be really interessted if there is a context between season and frequency of color variations?
Apart from the facts that it is a wonderful scenery and not very far away from my hometown Razz

But as I said, spring is very recommendable.

Oh, I forgot this one Razz
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 17746

regards
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markus_oulehla/

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul - 20:15

Wow some great pictures of snakes & habitat.

Thanks for the post.

Owen
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 3 Oct - 5:39

Little Update again Very Happy
We thought using a wonderful sunny sunday for another trip to the Rax. We weren't alone...
I have never seen soo many people there... After we decided that we're not accepting 2hours wait for the funicular, we had a tiring walk, but it was totally worth it!

One of the most beautiful and well-behaving adders i've ever seen! Female around 57cms lenght

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0531

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0561

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0575

And another, darker female with a minor injury at the mouth...
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0603

...but obviously short after giving birth, so we didn't want to upset her to much so there are only few pictures.
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0622

Despite the crowds, it was absolutely great trip and I'm looking foreward to the next already Very Happy

regards
Markus

Last edited by Markus Oulehla on Mon 4 Jun - 6:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Oct - 2:10

Another two shots i took yesterday:

the first female in the habitat
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0583

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0654-1

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jun - 7:02

After a long time we were lucky an found some V. berus on the Rax again. Our last trips to this place haven't been succesful this year, so we were very happy with seeing some escaping vipers and even more happy after getting the first pictures of them.
(I'm not sure, but some specimens look familiar Smile )

female
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0613

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0609

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0633-1

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0688

smaller male
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0723

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0775

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0741

Additionally we saw lots of viviparous lizards...
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0823

...and some Lithobius forficatus
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0802

In the end we found another Vipera berus male, an entirely black one.
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0962

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0930

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0943-1

enjoy the pictures Smile

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun - 3:20

Two more pics i really like and want to share with you Wink

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0937

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 DSC_0666

Hope you enjoy Smile

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun - 18:08

And some more pics of the trip last weekend.
I love the diversity of color-variations!!!

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax107

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax88

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax218

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax380

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax388

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax430

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax509

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Rax589

enjoy them Wink

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Daniel Claesson
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Daniel Claesson

Male
Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun - 18:14

Fantastic pictures of the coolest Vipera sp. I have them in close proximity to my house and i enjoy them very much.

Regards
Daniel
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun - 18:43

Great pictures! I sure hope to see some berus this year.
Back to top Go down
http://terraristic.net
Tanja Schmidt
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tanja Schmidt

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun - 6:56

Awesome pictures!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienhaufen.de
Tom Winters
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jul - 19:21

Sehr Schön!!! Very nice pictures!!!
Back to top Go down
Sarah Mlynek

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jul - 5:16

wow, nice pictures! i love their red eyes, looks badass^^ i would love to go on such a trip myself.
but is this not "dangerous" to climb around in that area because there are so many viperas? what if you just step on one and it bites? what if you sit down and your hand is next to one that bites then?
or you just have to be extremly cautious and then nothing happens?

sarah Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kemshome.de
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr - 6:21

Thx and sorry for the late reply...

Sarah Mlynek wrote:

but is this not "dangerous" to climb around in that area because there are so many viperas? what if you just step on one and it bites? what if you sit down and your hand is next to one that bites then?
or you just have to be extremly cautious and then nothing happens?

Generally I would not say that it is dangerous...
Of course you have to be careful, like always when you walk through uneven/difficult terrain and it is not like you step on a viper every 2 steps Wink
You should know the areas where the snakes occur and the spots they prefer. Then you have to be lucky to see them and even more lucky get some pictures.
Sure, you have to be careful in presence of the snake, if you spot a specimen, so IMHO it's better to have some experience in working with venomous snakes, or to be with an experienced person...
If you are calm and move slowly the vipers calm down as well, so they aren't as bad/aggressive as lots of people think or imagine!
Anyway I use thick leathergloves or venom defenders to protect my hands, especially when I take close ups!!! So safty goes first!

Today we've been at an other place, Unterberg, near the Rax, but not that high up...
Still a little bit of snow, but the weather was quite good, just a bit cloudy in the morning. Then the sun came out and we were rewarded with some snakes Very Happy
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8686169487_003f73a910_z

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8685818053_8250d17bea_z

Mating common toads in a small puddle, at around 1000m above sealevel.
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8687285000_e1e2c43539_z

Little bit higher the next Vipera, a nice male
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8687283262_04f1bf2efe_z

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8686943368_78708c56ec_z

On our way back another, completly black male viper....
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8686941324_154585c216_z

... aaaand a smooth snake Laughing
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8685819551_97cde0d07c_z

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8685821925_059a125cc6_z

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 8685820299_ccd8c785b5_z

We wondered that we (means 6people) haven't seen a single lizard, Rainer, maybe you know something about that?

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Diego Reggianti

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Apr - 18:26

Rainer Fesser wrote:
Hello Guenter,

Sorry to have to contradict you, they DO it with Canon too. A V. ammod. even made my front-lens (daylight-filter as a protection for such events) useless on one occasion.
But the photo I could take before was worth it.

Cheers,
Rainer
My Canon 100mm macro has been bitten by Macrovipera schweitzeri and Vipera ammodytes, and Vipera ursinii did it with my Pentax 50mm.
Diego
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr - 4:48

Hello Markus,

I cannot tell why you didn´t see any lizards there on that day. They (Zootoca vivipara) can be found in that area and usually come out at the same wheather-conditions as V. berus but sometimes we humans cannot say why one species is out on a certain day and another one isn´t, no matter how much experience we have.

Best regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr - 6:27

Ha! I forgot, we've found one slow worm *gg*
We've been there with some friends from the ÖGH, who've vistited this place some times before and found "just" A. fragilis...
So it wasn't just that single day.
That makes me wonder, as we've found Zootocas on the Rax a few weeks earlier than the adders, the last years...
I thought there'd be another cause as our failure Laughing
But well, a reason to go back there and have a look again!

regards
Markus

Back to top Go down
John Worthington-Hill
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
John Worthington-Hill

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 1 May - 2:51

Beautiful snakes and beautiful habitat, you're very lucky!

Cheers for sharing
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jun - 0:07

Hi,
little update from the Rax.
Our first trip this year and it was quite interessting. Because of the long winter the vegetation wasn't as high as last year and we haven't found a single edelweiß...

The weather was quite hot, so we started in the morning and my girlfriend found the first adder short after arriving in the habitat.
A beautiful female Vipera berus with an interesting coloration!
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084496173_8724bdeccd_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084499691_27fe49a620_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084492187_797c00e54a_c

Then, a bit further, the next female.
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084519331_551c362708_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9086732902_e4caf30f61_c

A picture of the habitat, in spite of the hot weather we saw the last remnants of snow in small, shady valleys...
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9087296808_17f51b9951_c

The in the middle of the way, a baby adder!!!
We took it to the side of the way, to take our pictures and to avoid that the snake gets in contact with other people (at least this time...)
My first Vipera berus baby in the wild:
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084521387_ef0da99650_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084502961_e70008218b_c

trying to "hide" Razz
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9086721016_759729c746_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084514771_a884d050a3_z

On our way back another baby adder, crawling right in front of our feets again!
Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9086749660_73a155447d_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9086703722_4d0fe329dd_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9084524123_41dfdf4e18_c

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 9086745874_6e6680cdb2_z

Enjoy!

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
Manfred Gessner
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Manfred Gessner

Male
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jun - 16:30

beautiful pictures.
i can't see enough from this.

best regards Manni
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhein-terraristik.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)   Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vipera berus berus in Austria ... 2013 Update ;)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2