VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

B. taeniata teeth anyone?

Go down 
+4
Michele Angelo Furiani
Ronald Streeter
Albert J. Montejo
Michael Burger
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

B. taeniata teeth anyone? Empty
PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jul - 5:47

Not my pic (I believe it is a Dave Roberts pic, later reproduced in a U.S. magazine), but certainly an impressive front set of teeth. This animal was a B. taeniata from Suriname that died in captivity sometime in the 80's at a U.S. zoo (and handled after death).

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7516618654_614aed805b_z[/img]
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jul - 16:00

The late Dr.Paulo Burheim of IMTM was conducting a study of morphometrics on this specimen, and that's quite a gap.

Obs. i cant tell you if Bothriopsis taeniata is rare or common but the first time i visited Brazil and after meeting Dr. Burheim at IMTM for some help with logistics, i was sent to the "Oriente" or Para, Amazonian, Brazil and in return i identified the first Speckled Forest pit-viper he ever seen, collected live in the city of Manuas, Amazonia, Brazil, the snake was a beautiful golden speckled specimen about sixty centimeters long.
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jul - 17:25

I remember seeing a pit viper near Iquitos, Peru (Amazonas) clutching a fig root not far off from the path my guide took me through. It looked very similar to this one, but I can't be sure because it was a long time ago.

If they usually have fangs "that" size then they would rival the fer-de-lance/terciopelo/Bothrops Asper. Although this one isn't even close in size/length.

The same morning, a poison dart frog jumped out of my hand and landed in my friends coffee cup. I forgot to tell him and I think he cleaned it, because well...he's still alive. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Michele Angelo Furiani
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michele Angelo Furiani

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jul - 22:03

Also me i'm really impressed from the size of the teeth of this specie.
A video show the teeth of this species here: http://us.clipdealer.com/video/media/62429
I try to take a couple of photo next meal to the my specimens.
Regards
Michele
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jul - 22:15

Another captive specimen (live) from Sipaliwini, Suriname. This female is probably in the range of 175 cm.

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7520146630_a97d71cf14_z[/img]

In contrast, a 60 cm male from Loreto, Peru (in situ)

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7520141852_3b85b30008_z[/img]

A C.B. juvenile Suriname taeniata (below)(related to the female in the top photo) This pic was published in a magazine, I think the photo is from Bill Love.

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7520150586_6e24f3df0a_z[/img]

A C.B. female from the Rio Putumayo area in Ecuador

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7520154118_56cf8926b9_z[/img]

Thanks

Michael
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jul - 0:21

My records show fang length of adult specimens of Bothriopsis taeniata average from 2.54 centimeters to 3 centimeters or 1 inch to 1.5 total .

Babies and yearling fang length, are half that , but much slimmer cylinders.

Obs. Bothriopsis taeniata are first cousins of Bothriopsis bilineata, yet their total girth (Bone structure) and length at just under 2 meter, make them more similar to the non-venomous Corallus hortulanus, which inhabit some of the same areas , in size . The Speckled Forest pit-viper are the largest, New world, prehensile tailed, arboreal, venomous snake known.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jul - 1:34

Michele,

Those fangs are incredibly long in that video clip! Watch yourself my friend......

Michael
Back to top Go down
Radovan Muška
Radovan Muška

Male
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jul - 2:52

The length of their teeth is really interesting.Does anyone know,why are they so long (the teeth),whats their purpose ?

Thanks,
Regards,

Radovan
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jul - 7:41

Normally snakes with longer fangs eating birds or/and bats!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jul - 11:09

An adult, Speckled Forest pit-viper, (wildcaught) Bothriopsis taeniata. 1.80 cm. locality, Ecuador, South America.B. taeniata teeth anyone? 33671.th

Login to view enlargement.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 8 Jul - 12:27

I think it has been traditionally held that many arboreal snakes such as green tree pythons or emerald tree boas have longer teeth to help penetrate the feathers of birds - a seemingly reasonable idea except that in a limited study of dietary intake of arboreal boids it was found that both the green tree python and emerald tree boa ate predominately mammals as adults (and little to no birds). Living in a three dimensional above-ground environment such as trees, however, may make it desireable to have longer teeth for prey capture and to retain the prey once captured.

In venomous species, fang length may not translate as easily according to the environment and there may be different selective pressures that have influenced fang length. For many venomous snakes, longer fangs presumably function to penetrate the prey better and to deliver venom to kill the prey as well as begin to digest it. Long fang length is not strictly limited to arboreal species especially when one considers an almost exclusively terrestrial species such as Bitis gabonica, a snake with some of the longest fangs of all venomous snake species. It is believed that this species uses its fangs to help manipulate prey items when swallowing as well as help retain its grip of the prey once seized. On the other hand, Bothriechis schlegelii, a snake that is probably more arboreal in habits than Bothriopsis taeniata has considerably shorter fangs than B. taeniata…...it is very perplexing.

Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul - 23:20

A few more pics of a 1.5 year old C.B. female (+/- 90 cm TL) from Ecuador ........

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7543041376_61b2e89dec_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7543050534_2ec33dbd03_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7543058144_8106078998_z[/img]
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul - 23:57

There is no particular rule for fang length in relation to prey, at least as a contrast between feeding on birds and mammals. We looked at that in Bothrops and Gloydius some years ago - it turns out that the bird-feeding Bothrops insularis actually has shorter fangs than the mammal-feeding B. jararaca. In Gloydius, there was no difference, but their fang length in relation to head size was the same as in B. insularis already. This is really something that deserves more study. The paper is online: http://biology.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/Publications/2005_Bothrops_insularis.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Radovan Muška
Radovan Muška

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jul - 1:11

Thank You (M.Burger,W.W.) for a nice explanation.A really interesting topic.
It would be interesting to know,whats the main prey of taeniatas in nature.For sure it depends on the age/length of them.I can imagine,that as babies -frogs or lizards (mainly or only),but are there some scient.researches of their stomach as adults?The rate of birds to mammals could explain it.

Kind regards,
Radovan
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jul - 6:09

Radovan,

I believe that Martins et al. (2002. Ecological and Phylogenetic Correlates of Feeding Habits in Neotropical Pitvipers of the genus Bothrops. In The Biology of the Vipers. pp 307-328) considered B. taeniata a dietary generalist with frogs (41%) and mammals (41%) constituting the majority of the diet in their sample (n= 22) but also including lizards (14%), birds (4%), and centipedes. I am sure you are right about frogs and lizards being part of the diet in young.

Michael
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jul - 7:39

Although not relating to teeth, here are a few more pics. This is a C.B. male Bothriopsis taeniata (Ecuador). The first pic is at 1-2 months old.

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7564509854_46ba68d0ab_z[/img]

Photographing this species, like other snakes, is dependent upon the lighting. The pic below is of the same snake using flash photography. All of the greens and yellows are lost, but his attitude is still there.

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7564514220_f3eecb3ba3_z[/img]

At 8 months of age (below) under natural lighting.

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7564518046_3ab47e437f_z[/img]

Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jul - 0:14

Duellman using data from Santa Cecilia, Ecuador 1978, determined that of the 37 prey species eaten by various snake species, the arboreal species exploited 18 different prey species, and no two arboreal snakes ate the same prey species.

The semiarboreal species including( Bothriopsis taeniata )exploited eight prey species.

Arboreal snakes feed on gastropods, arthropods, fish, frogs, lizards, snakes, birds and mammals, including marsupials, insectivores, bats, carnivores and artiodactyls.

Some arboreal species exhibit ontogenetic or opportunistic variation in diet.

Most arboreal snakes are tropical and prey on frogs and lizards as per Duellman at some stage of life.

Shine 1983 reports that among the study conducted 1983 , on arboreal snakes 53% ate frogs, 65% ate reptiles 43% ate birds, 26% ate mammals.

Reference, Snakes Ecology and Behaviour, Richard A. Siegel , Joseph T.Collins.
Back to top Go down
Radovan Muška
Radovan Muška

Male

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jul - 16:22

Hello,

M.Burger,A.J.Montejo-thanks for Your informations.Im a bit surprised about feeding on centipedes etc.I know,its only small percentage,but still pretty "COOL"

Kind regards,
Radovan
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeSun 19 Aug - 23:18

A few pics of a feeding sequence showing teeth imbedded in prey (thawed rodent) and then used in helping to manipulate prey in preparation for swallowing.

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815109300_0ff58acb27_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815115182_ee6efe5492_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815123046_ff5b8ffbcf_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815128628_f3c9e9351f_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815133850_01301da583_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815138524_8b5ac74328_z[/img]

[img]B. taeniata teeth anyone? 7815142742_9ae715fd75_z[/img]
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 15:11

Awsome animals guys.
Great pictures!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B. taeniata teeth anyone?   B. taeniata teeth anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

B. taeniata teeth anyone?
Page 1 of 1