VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Irony?? first venomous

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-07-29

Irony?? first venomous Empty
PostSubject: Irony?? first venomous   Irony?? first venomous Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jul - 15:30

Ok so I have been looking forward to this upcoming venomous show although I hadn't had experience with venomous snakes before. Anyway tonight I hear my dog barking at something I go outside wondering what it could be since he bark's at snakes to actually and once got tagged by A.contortix Rolling Eyes anyway I go outside and in my garage is sitting this really beautiful but small A.contortix in a threat pose its about maybe a 1 ft. Anyway I run inside get my capture bucket and my hook move the dog inside to avoid to another bite after the dog has been moved i get my hook and carefully move him into the capture bucket then I looked him/her over to see if it was injured it wasn't Very Happy. I then got a large plastic container that i had put holes in at another time and its about 10 gallon equivilent that had sides that lock and anyway I put some substrate in it and a hide that was actually made for my other none-venomous snake (Morelia spilota cheynei) and a log and there you go i now have a A.contortix! Very Happy I kept my distance while hooking him/her it was actually easier then i thought it would be it struck only once but it had it's sight's on me. I used my hook the whoke time and only placed the top on when i knew he/she was in the hide but i feel pretty good knowing that i'll have experience with venomous before I got to the show cause i'll be looking for small crotalus then.
Back to top Go down
Simon Ball
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Irony?? first venomous   Irony?? first venomous Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jul - 17:04

Hey, Joel

I'm not sure what your laws say about taking wild snakes into captivity, but presuming they allow it, congratulations (If you're not sure, it might be an idea to check).

If you haven't kept vens before, please make sure you get some guidance - preferably hands-on local guidance - from someone who is experienced with vens, and especialy the species you now have. The last thing we want is a member getting tagged! Sort of puts a dampener on the pleasures of owning something as nice as a copperhead.

Take care.
S
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Irony?? first venomous   Irony?? first venomous Icon_minitimeMon 9 Jul - 19:44

Quite right! It is important to think about what your handling techniques are going to be "before" adding a venomous reptile. Sometimes an "amateur herpetologist", will have some luck on their side and learn as a "self taught" herper. Many have done it this way.

It is always better though, to consult with an advanced keeper who knows the particular species you are planning to add to your collection. If you are a patient, responsible and "safe" learner, then you will have a better chance of becoming a "competent" amateur herpetologist.

Those who try to "show off" and not use safety protocols will often be envenomated or risk injuring any innocent bystanders who do not understand the effects of these potent venoms. Therefore keeping "others" safe is the highest priority when adding venomous reptiles to a herpers collection.

Regards Ron
Back to top Go down
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Irony?? first venomous   Irony?? first venomous Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul - 1:41

I was very careful not to get my hands or feet close to the pointy end but your right good protocal is a must. Where I live people don't really care they kind of mind their own bussiness in mississippi if it doesn't bother them they don't care.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Irony?? first venomous   Irony?? first venomous Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Irony?? first venomous
Page 1 of 1