VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

all 3 species

Go down 
+14
Scott Eipper
Richard Mastenbroek
Sebastian Sar
Fabian Dirks
Peter van Issem
Stefan Anthonijsz
Jason Bruno
Wolfgang Wüster
Benjamin Tull
Bostjan Kraner
Andrew Hacket
Peter Zürcher
Mario Lutz
Terry Phillip
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Terry Phillip

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-05-01

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep - 10:28

too bad they had to find a 4th species, now I don't have all of them Smile
all 3 species Dsc_0113

all 3 species Dsc_0114

all 3 species Pictur14
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilegardens.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep - 19:30

Terry, what is you favorite among them?
i only have canni but i am in love with them....

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSat 21 Feb - 13:07

Call me crazy Terry but isn't it illigal to possess those in the U.S.? Unless they are on loan to a zoo , but still owned buy the austrailian gov't
Back to top Go down

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSat 21 Feb - 13:08

post removed

Last edited by Timothy Sieber on Sun 22 Feb - 8:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSat 21 Feb - 16:07

@ Terry

Won't You tell me something about the 4th species? Did they find and describe another one again?
I know:
Oxyuranus microlepidotus
Oxyuranus scutellatus
Oxyuranus temporalis
Regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Terry Phillip

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb - 7:39

Hey guys,
Mario, personally I like the canni the most of them all. They are just incredible.

Timothy, I wouldn't call you crazy. I run a large Reptile Park, Reptile Gardens. www.reptilegardens.com. So trust me these snakes are here legally. There are many O. microlepidotus out of Australia now apparently. I am only aware of 4 actually legal exports of them however. Ours being two of them. Ours are the only legal ones in the U.S. though. And no they are not owned by the Australian Govt. Thats not quite how it works.

Peter,
You are accurate that there are only 3 species, I was referencing the 4th which is a subspecies.
Oxyuranus s. canni

Cheers!
Terry
Back to top Go down

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb - 8:45

Well my boss possess 2 Taipans in our exhibit but they are very old. I was just going on the info. provided to me by another source. I dont do much with taipans i stick to arboreals and crotalus, naja, bitis and a few others
Back to top Go down
Terry Phillip

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb - 9:38

In S. Carolina I assume you are at Cape fear serpentarium? and the two would be O.s. canni? I wonder why anyone would quote you that info? Any further details?

Old or not they are very cool snakes.
T-
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb - 14:54

Hi Terry , does your zoo stock of australian elapids filter into the public once you produce offspring or are there restrictions in place?
Back to top Go down
Terry Phillip

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb - 23:02

Hey Andrew,
There are some pretty strict regulations attached in order to legally export from Australia. So all attention and respect to those restrictions are in place.
Cheers!
Terry
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeTue 4 May - 7:40

There are no four species actually. Temporalis is the third species that was found. As i remember there is only one holotype available fot this specimen. Papuan taipan belongs to Scutellatus complex. There are two subspecies: Coastal Taipan (Oxyuranus Scutellatus Scutellatus) and Papuan Taipan (Oxyuranus Scutellatus Canni).

Please WW corect me if I'm wrong
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Tull
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-08-27

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeTue 4 May - 14:30

Terry Phillip wrote:
...Ours are the only legal ones in the U.S. though...

I do not think that's true Wink

Many thanks
Benjamin
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeTue 4 May - 15:56

Bostjan Kraner wrote:
There are no four species actually. Temporalis is the third species that was found. As i remember there is only one holotype available fot this specimen. Papuan taipan belongs to Scutellatus complex. There are two subspecies: Coastal Taipan (Oxyuranus Scutellatus Scutellatus) and Papuan Taipan (Oxyuranus Scutellatus Canni).

Please WW corect me if I'm wrong

About right. In fact, canni is a very weakly defined ssp and of questionable validity - mtDNA studies have shown NO differentiation in mtDNA between O.s. scutellatus and O.s. canni. Also, it is important to note that there are individual and regional differences both within Australia and New Guinea.

Cheers,

WW

Last edited by Wolfgang Wüster on Tue 4 May - 21:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Jason Bruno
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jason Bruno

Male
Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-12-06

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeTue 4 May - 21:49

Very nice. Canni are my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeWed 5 May - 21:19

I thought Oxyuranus temporalis wasn't really accepted as a valid species. Or am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeWed 5 May - 22:22

O. temporalis was discriped in 2007 after this I´ve never seen anny news about the no-acceptation or revalidation in one of the other species,of the Genus Oxyuranus? So, I think, it is still avalid species...
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeWed 5 May - 23:25

http://www.jcvi.org/reptiles/species.php?genus=Oxyuranus&species=temporalis

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeWed 5 May - 23:29

Peter van Issem wrote:
O. temporalis was discriped in 2007 after this I´ve never seen anny news about the no-acceptation or revalidation in one of the other species,of the Genus Oxyuranus? So, I think, it is still avalid species...
I think you're right, Peter - i didn't found any papers so far dealing with other opinions then temporalis to be a valid species.
For those who might be interested and didn't find the complete paper of its description:
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2007f/zt01422p058.pdf
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeWed 5 May - 23:54

Thanks guys Smile

The website jcvi.org is one of the best websites to look if species are accepted. If jcvi.org says that there is O. temporalis than it will probably be so Smile I didn't knew it was on there so I probably looked over it.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeThu 6 May - 0:34

Hi Stefan,
this site is ok, and temporalis is included in the list!
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeThu 6 May - 1:25

That is just what I said Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Sar
Sebastian Sar

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-03-03

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeThu 6 May - 3:22

Amazing snakes.
Back to top Go down
Terry Phillip

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSat 8 May - 17:33

Benjamin,
In order for them to be legal in the U.S they or their parents must have been legally exported from Australia.

Just because a bunch of Australian species left Australia under less than legal standards and have been "legally laundered" through several European countries doesn't make them legal.

I imported ours legally from Australia, if you are aware of anyone else having done that I would be very interested to hear about it, as I only know of 3. Simply because the Non-commercial agreement (which includes progeny) would be the same on their permit as it is on ours. So all of these Australian species being sold can not legally enter the United States. It would become a violation of the Lacey Act here in the U.S. thus making them illegal.

All specimens from Australia would need an export permit from Australia or be able to trace their origins back to the 1960's and I can guarantee you that microlepidotus was not bred in captivity in the 60's by a zoo.... (it was illegal to privately keep reptiles in AU at that time) Nor were they properly described taxonomically at that time.
So I would be real curious to see how legal specimens are being sold...?

Don't get me wrong, I think the laws are very counter productive to conservation efforts. Putting a value on an animal in captivity is a great conservation tool...but I just don't agree with people violating laws.

Everyone here knows how most Australian species get on the market. It's a shame but true.

Cheers!
Terry
Back to top Go down
Richard Mastenbroek
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-05-05

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSat 8 May - 18:18

Terry Phillip wrote:
Benjamin,
In order for them to be legal in the U.S they or their parents must have been legally exported from Australia.

Just because a bunch of Australian species left Australia under less than legal standards and have been "legally laundered" through several European countries doesn't make them legal.

I imported ours legally from Australia, if you are aware of anyone else having done that I would be very interested to hear about it, as I only know of 3. Simply because the Non-commercial agreement (which includes progeny) would be the same on their permit as it is on ours. So all of these Australian species being sold can not legally enter the United States. It would become a violation of the Lacey Act here in the U.S. thus making them illegal.

All specimens from Australia would need an export permit from Australia or be able to trace their origins back to the 1960's and I can guarantee you that microlepidotus was not bred in captivity in the 60's by a zoo.... (it was illegal to privately keep reptiles in AU at that time) Nor were they properly described taxonomically at that time.
So I would be real curious to see how legal specimens are being sold...?

Don't get me wrong, I think the laws are very counter productive to conservation efforts. Putting a value on an animal in captivity is a great conservation tool...but I just don't agree with people violating laws.

Everyone here knows how most Australian species get on the market. It's a shame but true.

Cheers!
Terry

Hi Terry,

For me this sounds al quit strange as here in Holland you can keep everything al the Australian stuff thats available is not protected at all under CITES. And there for we keep them.
For example I can fly into Australia fill up my suitecase with taipans, tigersnakes, gecko's whatever. When I can make out of Oz without being captured is the only punisment I can get on Schiphol Airport amsterdam, is a fine for animal cruelty because they are not packed bij IATA rules.
I can breed the hell out of them and sell fresh wildcaugth, and CB's as hotdogs without questions asked.
On the otherhand when you have Ophiophagus than the AID (a sort of Fischery and Wildlife) But than the sort without any knowledge at al keep an eye on you because Holland does not approve top keep Large WC kings in captivity and if you have CB's you need to have a paper from the breeder. Al because they are on CITES appendix III.
But as i understand will their be never legal Ozzie snakes in the US? or is dis different bij state? Asa this is also with Crotalus unicolor, and lost mexican rattlers

Cheers

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitimeSat 8 May - 18:28

small correction, Rich: Ophiophagus is appendix II, not III.

I understand Terry, he's right with his statement - United States are different to European Countries - because of the Lacey act.
This act is a tool to prosecute violations in wildlive done in foreign countries. As a US resident, you' ll have to proof the legal origin of a australian Taipan, and that's hardly possible in offspring produced in Europe, just because european breeders don't need any papers/proofs (and dont't have'em usually) for microlepidotus as a non Cites species.

Peter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

all 3 species Empty
PostSubject: Re: all 3 species   all 3 species Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

all 3 species
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next