VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Discovery That Amphibian Chytrid Fungus Killed By Small Increases In Salt Water Concentrations Given One Of 20 Given Eureka Awards In Australia.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Discovery That Amphibian Chytrid Fungus Killed By Small Increases In Salt Water Concentrations Given One Of 20 Given Eureka Awards In Australia. Empty
PostSubject: Discovery That Amphibian Chytrid Fungus Killed By Small Increases In Salt Water Concentrations Given One Of 20 Given Eureka Awards In Australia.   Discovery That Amphibian Chytrid Fungus Killed By Small Increases In Salt Water Concentrations Given One Of 20 Given Eureka Awards In Australia. Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 14:41

Blue Mountains Gazette, 8/14/08

For Michelle Stockwell it was a surprising discovery. Frogs usually prefer pristine environments but she has found that living in a polluted and degraded habitat is the reason some Australian frogs have survived a fatal fungus infection that has decimated the amphibian world.

"It's ironic," says Stockwell, a PhD student who is one of six finalists in what may be the most popular science competition in the country - the People's Choice section of the Australian Museum Eureka Prizes.

The winners of 20 Eureka Prizes and $200,000 in cash awards will be announced at a gala dinner on Tuesday night in Sydney, a rare chance for Australian scientists working hard to address some of the world's biggest problems to have their moment in the spotlight. Among the finalists for prizes this year are researchers developing new treatments for multiple sclerosis, faster computers, ways to defend the country better and solutions to a range of environmental problems.

In the People's Choice Award, the public gets to vote for its favourite project, and enter a competition in which a member of the public will have part of his or her DNA sequenced and framed.

For an understanding of why people devote their careers to science it is hard to go past these six finalists.

Stockwell admits there are long periods between coming up with an idea and showing it is right. But the Eureka moments make them worthwhile, she says. "It's an amazing feeling to know that you are on the right track and your work has the potential to make a difference."

The young University of Newcastle researcher studies the amphibian chytrid fungus that attacks the skin of adult frogs, and which has led to the decline or extinction of up to 200 frog species. Among them are Australia's green and golden bell frogs, which have disappeared from about 90 per cent of their habitat.

Stockwell was intrigued why isolated communities of this "charming, beautiful" species survived, including at Homebush Bay. By testing the water from ponds where they had vanished, and comparing it with ponds where they survived, she discovered that higher salt levels inhibited the growth of the fungus. "It is a polluted environment or a coastal environment with high salt levels that is protecting them," she says.

Her research, which she will present at the sixth World Congress of Herpetology in Brazil next week, raises the possibility of manipulating salt levels in ponds to reintroduce the frogs into their old habitats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

Discovery That Amphibian Chytrid Fungus Killed By Small Increases In Salt Water Concentrations Given One Of 20 Given Eureka Awards In Australia.
Page 1 of 1