VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Humidity issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 18:30

What does everyone think is too much of a rise or drop in relative humidity?

If a dwarf Bitis is removed from an area with a RH of average around 60% and is then moved to an area in a private collection with a RH of 75%-80%, do you think its too much of an increase?

I look at the RH in Namaqualand and its averaging around 43%, i look at Durban (where I live) and its between 75% and 80%. If a Bitis caudalis from Namaqualand dies in my collection should I wonder why or could I presume its the rise in RH?
I imagine snakes are better equipped to handle higher or lower temps in the new environment (we can also alter these easily) than humidity.

Any comment? What other factors do you feel are significant?
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeSat 20 Dec - 15:23

No I am not planning to to collecting in Namaqualand if that is what you are thinking. It is a known fact that these snakes generally do poorly in captivity and I am trying to establish why.
I have 1.0 cornuta from the West coast where the RH averages around 60%, I hope this is not too much change for him.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeWed 24 Dec - 1:45

Put it in damp moss and spray it twice a day for 6 months , if it survives then we know its not humidity that kills them ! Im in Namibia atm and my nose is bleeding , i hope i dont roll :-P
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan - 14:40

I really hoped I would get some help from other keepers with this question and am quite annoyed that nobody has anything to offer. It has been on my mind for a long time now and I felt there is enough experience here to offer some input.
Shall I just keep my questions for other forums? Am I being unreasonable?
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan - 18:18

Stay Cool Rob,

no need to be annoyed...

i am in PNG for research right now, and i have only very restricted possibilities to get online here.. most of the Members here are from Europe, they have normally not such issues to deal with, as the RH in most of Europe rather down is then to high.

well, concerning to the Humidity question of yours;

we have the same problems here in the Philippines with high Humidity, i wrote this somewhere else here already. Only very few snakes in my experience do good with to high Humidity if they been used to 40% only normally. they mostly suffer from upper respiration tract infections after a while and you will find them death in their cages after few weeks. me for instance, i had never been able to keep any Bitis (besides B.gabonica) alive in the philippines. Bitis Species especially seems to have difficulties to deal with that issue. the only way might be to acclimatize the animals slowly, as from 45% to 65% it will not be such a big jump. How is the Humidity at Namaqualand at night? any ideas?

you possibly have a chance to find a relative cold room in your House to bring such animals there and get the RH insight the cages down with a stronger lightbulb? that perhaps helps a bit to decrease the RH.

you also should try to have post mortem analysis on animals who suddenly died. look for lungs etc.pp.

some animals take changes in RH better than others, but you never know before which snakes that would be.

in short words, if in durban, with a RH of 75 - 85% animals do not so well, coz they came from somewhere with an RH of 40 - 50%, i think you can presume there might be sudden deaths connected to....

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan - 18:56

Hi Mario

Thanks for replying.

Well to be honest I have had very few Bitis die for this reason. Any which I have had die was because of something else. I did not ask the question to find answers for what happened to any of my animals, I was just trying to start a topic on something which I thought was interesting and which will certainly affect me sometime since it is very humid by me.

I have cornuta from the West Coast and caudalis from Namaqualand area and both are doing perfect, this is the reason I ask. I have had other cornuta also for 2 years from Namaqualand and my female eventually died but my males lived for longer still. So I wonder if RH is a big problem.

I do not know the RH in Namaqualand in the evening, I will find out.

I understand what you are saying about people in Europe not having problems like this but I find it hard to believe that not one person here had something to say about this issue.
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan - 19:54

i consider you still lucky... we have 85 - 100% RH here.. that makes it very difficult for some snakes to deal with.. i had even problems with some rattlers, others doing very well...

anyway, i do believe, that to high or to low RH in the cage set-ups do cost some lives and some specimens simply cant deal with it. imagine, Bitis arietans are hard "to Kill" animals. i kept in germany in early years animals they stayed with me for almost 20 years. here in the philippines on the other hand, i just cant keep them alive for longer than 3 months. high temps in connection with RH of 90% is just to much to take for this guys....

i might find some somedays from places with high RH either, i might be lucky by then. or i just immigrate back to SA, then there will be no need for it anymore.

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan - 20:47

Well SA do have the best animals Wink
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jan - 1:21

Hey Rob , with sand an cable heat under the tank , I am getting humidity results from 40 - 60 in the enclosure , maybe my hygrometer is not telling the truth ? I think the sand makes for very dry enclosure , have you measured your humidity? Maybe you not loosing this animals from humidity ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Humidity issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Humidity issue   Humidity issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Humidity issue
Page 1 of 1