VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen

Go down 
+5
Peter Zürcher
Trey Keyes
Jon Davidson
Mario Lutz
Christoph Studer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Christoph Studer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christoph Studer

Male
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Empty
PostSubject: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 4:34

Hello Guys
Not a amazing spectacular Species, but i am never tired of this Animals:

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Terrimokasen

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Mokasen

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Mokasen4

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Mokasen2

all the Best
Christoph
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 9:14

I love them too Christoph..
this species should not be missed in any collection, by the way, i even find them "handsome"..

cheers
M.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar - 23:26

hi Christoph!

As you see, we're at last three who would love to see them more over here! Very Happy

The one I got from you mated for two weeks...!!
Cheers

LucasC.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar - 1:52

Christoph Studer wrote:

'Not a amazing spectacular Species...'
What!!?? Just kidding, Mr. Studer. I too enjoy Agkistrodon very much and I happen to have just been given two tiny live neonatal Agkistrodon contortrix x mokasen. I've just got them set up and feeding the last few days. My friend has taken a series of photographs of the little beasts that hopefully, I can post here on the site in the near future. I don't mean to 'highjack' your Thread, Mr. Studer; but perhaps we can get an active Agkistrodon Forum going here soon... Thanks for posting the photographs of your specimens(very nice, indeed). Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Christoph Studer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christoph Studer

Male
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeSun 29 Mar - 18:03

Lol Very Happy your comments are allways welcome mr . davidson.
@ mario and lucas: of course If these were really rare, everybody would want them. The colors are amazing on these animals. I think we have a little fan club here from the contortrix family

All the best
Christoph
Back to top Go down
Trey Keyes

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct - 6:20

That is not mokasen
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct - 17:29

Quote :
That is not mokasen

okay - but for what reasons?

I`m sure some members would appreciate it to read a little bit more than "not".
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct - 18:06

As I really like copperheads, especially A.c. mokasen and A.c. pictigaster, I want to add some pictures of Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen too...
(pictures taken at Reptilienzoo Nockalm)

in their enclosure...
Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen 8003654442_802380ab32_b

and some pictures from an outdoor shooting in the sun, trying to capture their real (beautiful) coloration...
Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen 8124376774_2efd6928d0_b

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen 8124375228_e8c4797ae9_b

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen 8124363945_8c36032bc7_b

regards
Markus
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markus_oulehla/
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeFri 26 Oct - 18:14

stunning pictures, Markus, thank you!
Slowly, but sure you're outrunning me as a photographer....
now let's see what the experts will say...at least they look like i would expect mokasen to look.
Along with pictigaster the most beautiful subspecies in my opinion - i love them.
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Franz Schönen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Franz Schönen

Male
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct - 1:48

Hi Markus ;

Gorgeous beauties your photos, what features and what a beautiful animal !

I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeSun 28 Oct - 17:31

fantastic shots, as all of you said this is an amazing species, really love them and they for sure are one of my favourites, keep posting
regards
Back to top Go down
Trey Keyes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeWed 14 Nov - 10:51

Just doesn't look like one thats all. I live where they do and have seen hundreds in the wild and in captivity. In my opinion it looks more like a pictigaster or laticinctus. Possibly even a hybrid of several subspecies. The banding, pattern, and even coloration to a degree are all wrong for mokasen. Im surprised you even asked why I said that Peter.. it is visually very clear to me
Back to top Go down
Trey Keyes

Male

PostSubject: none   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeWed 14 Nov - 11:01

Heres a couple from a local spot for comparison, I can dig up more pictures from different localities and states in the northern US for comparison if anyone would like.

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Photo32

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Photo1-1

Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeWed 14 Nov - 17:18

Quote :
Im surprised you even asked why I said that Peter

I've been asking as a mod who thinks it might be useful to some of our members to know on which parts of the colouration and pattern they should lay an eye on for recognizing a subspecies.

I was in no doubt that Christoph's specimens do not look like real mokasen should - but i'm pretty sure my specimens (photographed by Markus) do.

Thanks for your reply and the pictures, i'm looking forward to see more of'em from different localities.

Recognition of contortrix subcspecies can be very difficult because of two reasons:
first - geographical overlap and intergradation zones of some subspecies
second - mixing (conciously or unintentionally) of captive stock allover the world
Additionally, the status of Agkistrodon contortrix and its subspecies is under research and discussion, see here:
http://www.venomland.net/t6371-agkistrodon-contortrix-phylogenetics
and here with some additions and remarks by Joseph T. Collins:
http://www.cnah.org/research.asp

regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Vincent Troost
Vincent Troost

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitimeThu 15 Nov - 1:10

I do agree with Peter that since 'Coppers' been captive bred for ages now, there are a lot of ssp. 'mixed up' with eachother, which ofcourse makes it quite hard to excactly determine what is what.

One of the things I see on the pictures of the 'Mokasen' is a almost black tailtip, which according to the book 'Snakes of the Agkistrodon complex', is typical for the 'Mokasen', while other ssp. lack that typical black tail tip, and have a (greyish) yellow or a (greyish) green tailtip, depending on the ssp.

I have multiple 'Coppers' myself, and 1 of those animals looks exactly like the one that's discussed here.
And after reading, looking, reading again, looking better, again reading and comparing I also came to the conclusion that it's likely a 'Mokasen' or at least a 'hybrid' with an awfull lot 'Mokasen' characteristics.

But, again, because of all the 'mixing' I really think there are very few 'real' ssp. left in the hobby.

Grtzz. Vinc.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen   Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen
Page 1 of 1