VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Beginners Hots

Go down 
+2
Sascha Beckhoff
Guenter Leitenbauer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jul - 18:05

Talking about the venom of a C. macrops and C. venustus a guy on Facebook (he is not registered here) just meant to me:

"I would suggest to start with a Bitis gabonica instead of a venustus. OK, the venom is strong, but the snake is slow and not aggressive." Shocked

Now I do not know sooo much about venomous snake keeping but from all I know a Bitis g. is definitely not a beginners snake. He said he started with a B.g. and a Naja melanoleuca which is also not known for friendliness and harmlessness, right?

What is a good beginners hot? I've no plans in the nearer future, just want to know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jul - 18:35

A Sistrurus miliarius barbouri.I think a Mangrove Snake (Boiga dendrophila )is good too,because she is fast and got a mild venom,so you can learn a lot by them.(but you should keept non-venomous before)

Back to top Go down
Brett Franklin
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Brett Franklin

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jul - 18:41

It all depends Guenter. I never like these discussions as it is different for everybody.

In some cases there are people that should never own "hot" snakes, and no matter what they start with will end up being a danger to themselves and others.

There are some that started with elapids, and I am sure some that started with gabonica and are doing just fine.

This question is asked frequently and you will always get the following answers:

1) small arboreal of some sort
2) southern african corals or some sort
3) mildy venomous of some sort (although this rarely satisfies the person asking)
n) whatever you feel comfortable with

At the end of the day, if you are intending on being bitten by your first snake that you keep then go with the least venomous of course. But whatever it is start off with a juvenile and grow with it - that in my mind is the safest bet.

Cheers.
Brett
Back to top Go down
aristarxos politis
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
aristarxos politis

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jul - 21:26

I would suggest for a begginer a aspidelaps ssp. or if you have experience on keeping difficult abroreal non venomous snakes a tropidolaemus wagleri.
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jul - 22:28

I would agree that there is never an easy answer to this question. One aspect that is almost always overlooked is the actual behaviour of the snake in question. I think that it is important that the beginner actually talk with the person he/she is acquiring the snake from. In my opinion every snake is an individual. From many standpoints, Sisturus miliaris is a good choice, but they almost never hook well, making it a difficult snake to do daily or weekly chores with. I would also add that I think its best to start with a well adjusted and feeding juvenile and let the newby grow up with the snake.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jul - 23:42

i have to agree with brett here
i kept non venemous for 10 years before the first rear fangeng came in my collection and another two before the first hot came , my first hots where gumprechtiis and a lubricus , soon after bitis and other trimis joined in .
i have had pythons , boas and colubrides , ground living and aboreal snakes so my decision on what hot first was based on lookes not how venemous or how big
i think its really something each person hasto know for himself what he thinks is capable of handeling and dealing with
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Beginners Hots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginners Hots   Beginners Hots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginners Hots
Page 1 of 1