VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

First few hots of the year!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

First few hots of the year!! Empty
PostSubject: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr - 12:23

I scored my first herp of 2011 with a small Rough earth snake (Virginia striatula) on February 8th and have been at it pretty hard since. As of yesterday, I am up to 35 species/subspecies of herps from northwest and west central Arkansas as well as east central Oklahoma. Up until a few days ago, however, I hadn't found anything venomous yet. That changed starting Wednesday the 6th.

Wednesday afternoon I went and hit a couple spots and found some of the usual culprits as well as my first hot of the year, a Western cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma) that ended up slinking away before I got my camera on him. The day still turned out pretty good though, and I did score a couple other firsts for the year.
Here are some finds from that day.

Carphophis vermis - Western worm snake (This is a photo from the previous week, as I didn't shoot any of the 20 or so I found that day)
First few hots of the year!! Carphophis_vermis_by_michael_ray-d3c6osn

Gastrophryne carolinensis - Eastern narrowmouthed toad
First few hots of the year!! Gastrophryne_carolinensis_by_michael_ray-d3ddxbk

Plethodon angusticlavius - Ozark zig zag salamander
First few hots of the year!! Plethodon_angusticlavius_by_michael_ray-d3ddxkw

Chelydra serpentina - Common snapping turtle
First few hots of the year!! Chelhydra_serpentina_by_michael_ray-d3ddy2a

First few hots of the year!! Chelhydra_serpentina_scale_by_michael_ray-d3ddygf

Thursday I went with some herper friends into eastern Oklahoma to look for Crotalus atrox. We managed a male and female coiled together. The male went approximately 66" and the female went about 54" or so. This pair made hot species number two for the week.

Crotalus atrox - Western diamondback (Male and female, in situ)
First few hots of the year!! MS1_1573

The female
First few hots of the year!! Crotalus_atrox_by_michael_ray-d3dgkzn

I also found this 74" Masticophis flagellum flagellum (Eastern coachwhip) in a crack along some bluffs. (Just a voucher shot for the NAFHA database)
First few hots of the year!! MS1_1608-1

Friday night turned out to be the first decently warm night of the season and another friend invited me to go roadcruising with him for a bit after work. We ended up scoring a single snake on the first pass, but it's a snake I have yet to tire of, and made for hot number three. With the temps starting to drop, I didn't want to waste much time shooting it, so I just snapped a couple vouchers and we went on our way...

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix - Southern copperhead
First few hots of the year!! MS1_1637

After not getting pics of the cottonmouth, I've been adamant on finding another soon, especially since the only pics I've gotten of any cottons are the cell phone pics I posted late last year of the two males in combat, so I really wanted to get some good, clear voucher shots. Last night I decided to cruise up to a small lake I know of that I knew had cottons in the area, as well as copperheads and Crotalus horridus (Timber rattlesnakes). Another species that has evaded me since I moved out here last summer...
Anyhow, I got up there in the middle of a frenzy of calling male Dwarf American toads (Anaxyrus americanus charlesmithi) and Spring peepers (Pseudacris crucifer).

While walking along the shore shining the water, I saw a snake take off into the water and keep swimming. I snapped a couple voucher shots, but that's it for that one...

Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma - Western cottonmouth
First few hots of the year!! MS1_1673

With seeing that one, I figured there would be more than one in the area, so I continued walking and shining. No more than 2 or 3 minutes later, I came upon this individual foraging in shallow water, maybe a foot off shore.
First few hots of the year!! Agkistrodon_p__piscivorus_by_michael_ray-d3dpnmj

Here's what I have found between February 8th and April 10th:
Anything preceded by * is a lifer. Something that I have found for the first time this year.

Snakes

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix - Southern copperhead
Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma - Western cottonmouth
*Carphophis vermis - Western Worm snake
Crotalus atrox - Western diamondback rattlesnake
*Diadophis punctatus arnyi - Prairie ringneck
*Masticophis flagellum flagellum - Eastern coachwhip
*Pantherophis obsoletus - Texas ratsnake
Storeria dekayi wrightorum - Midland brown snake
Tantilla gracilis - Flatheaded snake
Thamnophis proximus proximus - Orange striped ribbon snake
Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis - Eastern garter snake
Virginia striatula - Rough earth snake

Lizards

*Plestiodon anthracinus pluvialis - Southern prairie skink
Plestiodon fasciatus - Five lined skink
Sceloporus consobrinus - Prairie lizard
Scincella lateralis - Ground skink

Turtles/Tortoises

*Chelydra serpentina - Common snapping turtle
Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii - Mississippi map turtle
Trachemys scripta elegans - Red eared slider

Frogs/Toads

Acris crepitans blanchardi - Blanchard's cricket frog
Anaxyrus americanus charlesmithi - Dwarf American toad
Gastrophryne carolinensis - Eastern narrowmouthed toad
Lithobates sphenocephalus utricularis - Southern leopard frog
*Pseudacris crucifer - Spring peeper
*Pseudacris fouquetti - Cajun chorus frog

Salamanders/Newts

*Desmognathus brimleyorum - Ouachita dusky salamander
*Eurycea multiplicata - Many ribbed salamander
*Eurycea tyrenensis - Oklahoma salamander
Notopthalmus viridescens louisianensis - Central newt (Eft stage)
*Plethodon albagula - Western slimy salamander
*Plethodon angusticlavius - Ozark zig zag salamander
*Plethodon fourchensis - Fourche Mountain salamander
*Plethodon ouachitae - Rich Mountain salamander
*Plethodon serratus - Southern redbacked salamander
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Simon Ball
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr - 14:25

Nice, thanks for sharing. The rattle on the female c. atrox looks like it was in high-speed motion - blurred and held up.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr - 14:31

I took that shot at 1/80 sec just for that reason. She wasn't too happy at that point. haha
Back to top Go down
Andre Schmid
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Andre Schmid

Male
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr - 15:44

Grat pictures Mike, mostly I like the in situ shots of the atrox, really nice !
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperas.de/

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr - 20:36

Thanks for sharing Mike, great pictures.

That Eastern coachwhip is stunning. I really like how the colours change.

If you have any more pictures of them I would love to see them.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr - 23:09

Owen, that was my first eastern coachwhip, so unfortunately, that's the only animal I have shots of. He was a screamer in person though. Much different than most I see pictures of..

Thanks for the compliments guys! It's been a great season so far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr - 22:33

Mike Spencer wrote:
Owen, that was my first eastern coachwhip, so unfortunately, that's the only animal I have shots of. He was a screamer in person though. Much different than most I see pictures of..

Thanks for the compliments guys! It's been a great season so far.

It sure is a stunner. I was looking through google images and cannot see one that has such a drastic change in colour from head to tail.

It is a species I am not all that familiar with.
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr - 6:15

Realy nice shots. My favourite is Eastern coachwhip. Owesome snake.

Best regards, BKK
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr - 21:07

Thanks Bostjan
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr - 9:43

Here's another contortrix from yesterday:

First few hots of the year!! Agkistrodon_c__contortrix_by_michael_ray-d3dy3cf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First few hots of the year!!   First few hots of the year!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First few hots of the year!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: Fieldworks / Herptrips-
Jump to: