VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures Empty
PostSubject: Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures   Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures Icon_minitimeTue 11 Mar - 13:32

Subspecies:

Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix (LINNAEUS 1766)
Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus GLOYD & CONANT 1934
Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen PALISOT DE BEAUVOIS 1799
Agkistrodon contortrix phaeogaster GLOYD 1969: 220
Agkistrodon contortrix pictigaster GLOYD & CONANT 1943

Author: LINNAEUS Year 1766

Common Name:

English: Southern Copperhead
laticinctus: Broad-banded Copperhead
mokasen: Northern Copperhead
phaeogaster: Osage Copperhead
pictigaster: Trans-Pecos Copperhead
German: Kupferkopf

Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures Img_0112

Agkistrodon c. contortrix female at HerpaWorld

Distribution:
USA (Texas, E/C Oklahoma, E Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, S Illinois, S Indiana, S Ohio, Iowa,
Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, S New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts),
Mexico (NE Chihuahua, N Coahuila)

laticinctus: C/NC Texas, into C Oklahoma, north to Kansas

mokasen: Massachussetts, Connecticut, SE New York, N New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, east to Indiana and Illinois.

phaeogaster: Kansas, Missouri

pictigaster: Texas, adjacent Mexico

Comment: Venomous!

References:

Baird, S. F. and C. Girard. 1853. Catalogue of North American Reptiles in the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution. Part 1.-Serpents. Smithsonian Inst., Washington, xvi + 172 pp.
Barbour, R. W. 1962. An aggregation of copperheads, Agkistrodon contortrix Copeia 1962 (3): 640
Böhme, W. 2005. Der “Savannah River Ecology Site” und seine herpetologischen Highlights. Herpetofauna 25 (142): 13-21
Burt, Charles E. 1935. Further records of the ecology and distribution of amphibians and reptiles in the middle west American Midland Naturalist 16 (3): 311-336
Campbell, J.A. & Lamar, W.W. 1989. The Venomous Reptiles of Latin America. Comstock Publishing/Cornell University Press, Ithaca
Christiansen, J.L., & Bailey, R.M. 1990. The snakes of Iowa. Iowa Dept. of Natur. Resources, Des Moines 16 pp.
Conant, Roger 1938. The Reptiles of Ohio American Midland Naturalist 20 (1): 1-200
Conant,R. & Collins,J.T. 1991. A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern/Central North America, 3rd ed. Houghton Mifflin (Boston/New York), xx + 450 p.
Cook, F.A. 1962. Snakes of Mississippi rev.ed Wildl. Mus., Mississippi Game and Fish Commission, Jackson 45 pp.
Crother, B. I. 2000. Scientific and standard English names of amphibians and reptiles of North America north of Mexico, with comments regarding confidence in our understanding. Herpetogical Circular, No. 29: 1-82
Dieter Schmidt 2006. Der Kupferkopf (Agkistrodon contortrix). Natur und Tier Verlag (Münster), 64 pp.
Dixon, James R.;Thornton, Okla W., Jr 1996. Geographic Distribution. Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus Herpetological Review 27 (1): 33
Duméril, A. M. C., BIBRON, G. & DUMÉRIL, A. H. A., 1854. Erpétologie générale ou histoire naturelle complète des reptiles. Tome septième. Deuxième partie, comprenant l'histoire des serpents venimeux. Paris, Librairie Encyclopédique de Roret: i-xii + 781-1536
Gloyd and Conant 1943. A synopsis of the American forms of Agkistrodon (Copperheads and Moccasins) Bull. Chicago Acad. Sci. 7: 147-170
Gloyd H. and Conant R. 1934. The broad-banded copperhead: a new spubspecies of Agkistrodon mokasen Occ. Papers Mus. Zool. Univ. Michigan, No. 283, p. 2
Gloyd, H. K. 1969. Two additional subspecies of North American crotalid snakes, genus Agkistrodon Proc. Biol. Soc. Washington 82: 219-232
Gloyd, Howard K.;Conant, Roger 1938. The subspecies of the copperhead, Agkistrodon mokasen Beauvois Bulletin of the Chicago Academy of Sciences 5 (7): 163-166 + 1 plate
Haynie,M.R. & Knight,A. 1998. Color pattern variants in the Trans-Pecos copperhead. Southwest. Nat. 43: 499
Irwin, Kelly J. 2004. Arkansas Snake Guide. Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, Little Rock, 50 pp.
Linnaeus, C. 1766. Systema naturæ per regna tria naturæ, secundum classes, ordines, genera, species, cum characteribus, differentiis, synonymis, locis. Tomus I. Editio duodecima, reformata. Laurentii Salvii, Stockholm, Holmiae. 1-532 pp.
Livezey, Robert L. 1949. An aberrant pattern of Agkistrodon mokeson austrinus Herpetologica 5: 93
McDiarmid,R.W.; Campbell,J.A. & Touré,T.A. 1999. Snake species of the world. Vol. 1. Herpetologists’ League, 511 pp.
Means, D. Bruce 1998. Geographic distribution. Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix Herpetological Review 29 (3): 175
Ortenburger, A. I. 1927. A key to the snakes of Oklahoma. Proceedings of the Oklahoma Academy of Sciences 6: 197-218
Palmer, William M. 1965. Intergradation among the copperheads (Agkistrodon contortrix) in the North Carolina coastal plain Copeia 1965 (2): 246-247
Parkinson,C.L. 1999. Molecular systematics and biogeographical history of pitvipers as determined by mitochondrial ribosomal DNA sequences. Copeia 1999 (3): 576-586
Petzing, John;Phillips, Christopher A. 1998. Geographic Distribution. Agkistrodon contortrix Herpetological Review 29 (2): 111
Schmidt, D. 2003. Der Kupferkopf (Agkistrodon contortrix) - eine Anfängerschlange? Reptilia (Münster) 8 (2): 56-63
Schmidt, D. 2003. Der Kupferkopf (Agkistrodon controtrix) - eine Anfängerschlange? Reptilia (Münster) 8 (3): 65-71
Schuett, Gordon W. 1982. A copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) brood produced from Autum copulations Copeia 1982 (3): 700-702
Seifert, Wayne 1972. Habitat, variations & intergradation of the Trans Pecos copperhead Agkistrodon contortrix pictigaster in Texas Dallas Museum of Natural History Bulletin (2): iv, 1-10, 2 plates
Smith, H. M.;Gloyd, H. K. 1964. Nomenclatural notes on the snake names Scytale, Boa scytale, and Agkistrodon mokasen Herpetologica 19 (4): 280-282
Strimple, Peter D. 1996. Geographic Distribution. Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen Herpetological Review 27 (1): 33
Theobald, WILLIAM 1868. Catalogue of reptiles in the museum of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Jour. Asiatic Soc. Bengal, Calcutta, 37 (extra number 146): (2), vi, 7-88
Trutnau, L. 1984. Ein Beitrag zur Kenntnis des Kupferkopfs - Agkistrodon contortrix (LINNAEUS 1766). Herpetofauna 7 (35): 14-26
Wilgers, D.J.; Horne, E.A.; Sandercock, B.K. & Volkmann, A.W. 2006. Effects of rangeland management on community dynamics of the herpetofauna of the Tall-grass Prairie [Flint Hills, Kansas/Oklahoma]. Herpetologica 62 (4): 378-388
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures   Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures Icon_minitimeWed 3 Nov - 16:19

anyother information about this species pleas, husbandry, captive care and things like that pleas, thanks in advance
Back to top Go down

Agkistrodon contortrix infos & pictures
Page 1 of 1