VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Agkistrodon contortrix

Go down 
+9
Paul Batchelor
Scotty Allen
Jakob H. Christensen
Guenter Leitenbauer
Jon Davidson
Bostjan Kraner
Walter Silva
Tiberiu Sahlean
Gustav Eloy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Agkistrodon contortrix  Empty
PostSubject: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan - 5:49

Hello guys, This is one of the newest family mebers, he or she is so kind and eats a lot, hope you like it.

Agkistrodon contortrix  Adsc0010

Agkistrodon contortrix  Adsc0011

Agkistrodon contortrix  Adsc0012

Agkistrodon contortrix  Adsc0013

Agkistrodon contortrix  Adsc0014
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan - 23:14

Congrats and goold luck with him/her! Very good looking snake with those dark hour-glasses. Is it A. contortrix mokasen or am I mistaking?
Back to top Go down
http://tiberiusahlean.daportfolio.com/
Walter Silva
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Walter Silva

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 2:54

Gustav:

congrats man !! is very nice.

I´ll like one pair ..

I listened than good feeders, quiet, excellent snake...is really??

Greetings from Incas´Land
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 3:25

Owesome snakes. Looks like mokasen. I like the little spots on lighter bands. Very special Copperhead. Some people even freehandle this species, mostly the Southern Copperhead (A.C.C.). Venom of this species is also used in medical research with very good results. The fangs are long so punctures can be deep but not lethal causing mostly very little or none damage, and mild or no pain. They are related to Cottonmouths and Mocassins so I would be carefull anyway. Cant wait for my new Copperheads (Thanx Rene), A.C.Latcinctus are waiting for me on the way home along with some other interesting stuff and I bought a camera so I can post some pictures. Good luck with your Copperhead Gustav.

Best regards, BKK
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 3:41

Bostjan Kraner wrote:
'Some people even freehandle this species, mostly the Southern Copperhead'... 'The fangs are long so punctures can be deep but not lethal causing mostly very little or none damage, and mild or no pain'.
In my view, freehandling live, venomous snakes of any variety is stupid and foolhardy. Fatalities from the bites of Agkistrodon contortrix are known. A fine looking specimen, Mr. Eloy. Agkistrodon is an under appreciated snake. Thanks for posting this. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 4:01

I also think that it wouldn't safe to freehandle them, you can never know but some people do that. But I did not know about the fatalities. I think you can not underestemate any snake big enough that can cause you damage. Even from bites from large nonvenomous snakes can cause infections. I was bitten by a 2,5m(8ft+) Bermese python in my face when i was 13,5 years old and it almost took my eye out. You can never be too careful.

Regards, BKK
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan - 5:21

"mild pain"?
I heard Copperhead bites are very painful due to necrosis and the hemotoxic components. What is true? Any "personal" experiences anyone here?
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan - 4:45

Hello first of all thank you very much for your comments, appreciate it, well this snakes eats a lot an my little baby does it with no exception, eats one or 2 pinkies every 5 days or so, this one is a southern copper (A. contortrix contortrix) there is known that this species is not very aggressive and the venom is not very dangerous for a healthy adult, but maybe someone with a certain level of sensibility or maybe a young kid can suffer a lot of damage or even die, actually I know a guy from Kansas that has been bitten by one of this and literally almost faint of pain, not from the damage to the tissue, actually he shi.*.. on his pants from the pain. the tissue damage was not to bad but they can cause some necrosis and a lot of swelling. so definitely need to be careful handling this and any venomous snake, actually any non venomous snakes like Bostjan (in hands of a 2.5 mts Burmese) and many of us have experienced, by the way one day I saw all my forearm being confused with a rat by a 1.5 mts Boa constrictor hehe it was painful.
If a snake is dangerous or not I don´t like to handle them more than necessary, they don´t like to be handle and I don´t want to stress them and predispose a disease.
Mr Bostjan looks like you are going to get some really cool snakes, those A. c. latcinctus are really cool show us some pics of them, and just like Jon Davidson say this are under appreciated snakes.
Thanks again for your comments.
Greetings
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan - 4:57

Here are new pics of this bb

Agkistrodon contortrix  _dsc0010

Agkistrodon contortrix  _dsc0011

Agkistrodon contortrix  _dsc0012
Back to top Go down
Jakob H. Christensen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jakob H. Christensen

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan - 5:02

Nice babies, and great photos Wink

Copperhaeds are fantastic snakes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.jhcreptiles.com
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan - 5:06

I'm happy to getmy Copperheads. This are really beautifull snakes. Well, I always handle allmost all of my snakes carefully (except corns and ball pythons of course). I have a favourite pet Burm python that is very curious and allways hungry. So one must be very carefull when opening cage. He can hit a rat before it falls to the ground when i throw it to him. He is a bit more than two meters. But when I hold him he is a totaly different personality. If I'd put my hand in front of his snout he'd definetly bit me. When I was young I once had an infection from Natrix Tessellata bite and It's completly nonvenomous. Like Gustav said it depends on level of sensibility and you can never know what can harm you so it's better to be carefull.

Regards, BKK

Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar - 4:37

Hello again, I was wondering if anybody has had problems feeding Agkistrodn, mine use to eat very well eveyweek but now it´s been a month refusing to eat, do you have any suggestions??
thanks in advance

best regards
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar - 8:48

Gustav Eloy wrote:
Hello again, I was wondering if anybody has had problems feeding Agkistrodn, mine use to eat very well eveyweek but now it´s been a month refusing to eat, do you have any suggestions??
thanks in advance

best regards
I would suggest that you don't feed your specimens every week. In this case, I would suggest that you replenish the water dish with clean, fresh water. Make sure the specimens have a good, secure hide spot and leave them undisturbed for the next 2 weeks, or so. Watch that the temperature does not get too warm(I would suggest an ambient temperature of about 26 degress Celsius). I'm sure that they will feed then. I hope that this opinion is helpful. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Scotty Allen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Scotty Allen

Male
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar - 19:19

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
"mild pain"?
I heard Copperhead bites are very painful due to necrosis and the hemotoxic components. What is true? Any "personal" experiences anyone here?

I can testify first hand that the bite is very painful. Over thirty years ago, I was bitten on the tip of an index finger by a neonate, one fang penetrating. Within 24 hours, my finger and arm were swollen up to the elbow. The finger was throbbing like it was going to explode and I was black and blue right up my arm, through the armpit and almost down to my waist on the bitten side. All was well within a couple of days other than approx. 1 cm. open wound on the index finger at bite site that took a long time to heal.

This was my only "hot" bite, an experience I do not plan to repeat. Don't let copperheads fool you, they likely won't kill but the bite hurts like ----.
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSun 3 Apr - 12:36

Jon Davidson wrote:
Gustav Eloy wrote:
thanks in advance

best regards
I would suggest that you don't feed your specimens every week. In this case, I would suggest that you replenish the water dish with clean, fresh water. Make sure the specimens have a good, secure hide spot and leave them undisturbed for the next 2 weeks, or so. Watch that the temperature does not get too warm(I would suggest an ambient temperature of about 26 degress Celsius). I'm sure that they will feed then. I hope that this opinion is helpful. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Hello Jon, thank you very much for your opinion, Thats the first thing I tougth that happend and now I´m doing what you said, I´m plannig to do some fecal exams too, and see if I found something interesting. I´m going to move it to a bigger cage with more hiding places and better control on temperature and humidity, hope it helps he, once againg thanks a lott for your comments. apreeciatted.

regards
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSun 3 Apr - 13:12

Scotty Allen wrote:
Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
"mild pain"?

I can testify first hand that the bite is very painful. Over thirty years ago, I was bitten on the tip of an index finger by a neonate, one fang penetrating. Within 24 hours, my finger and arm were swollen up to the elbow. The finger was throbbing like it was going to explode and I was black and blue right up my arm, through the armpit and almost down to my waist on the bitten side. All was well within a couple of days other than approx. 1 cm. open wound on the index finger at bite site that took a long time to heal.

This was my only "hot" bite, an experience I do not plan to repeat. Don't let copperheads fool you, they likely won't kill but the bite hurts like ----.

Wow Scotty that quite a painful experience, I heard of one guy that died because he was allergic, wich is a risk we all have, thanks for your comment.

regards
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr - 13:54

hello everyone, back to the post, just wantshare with you that this little guy is ating again jeje hope he or she continues like that and grows well,, I´ll post pics soon.
regards
Back to top Go down
Paul Batchelor
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr - 0:48

Looking forward to new pics it's a very attractive snake Smile
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr - 3:23

Nice Copperhead Gustav, i like the species too. Very nice and very curios snakes in my eyes. Mine always come out to check me out and what im doing in the snakeroom when i enter.

I have a group of 1.2 and here two pictures of one of the females. Hope your fine with me posting pics in your thread.

Agkistrodon contortrix  DSC_0009

Agkistrodon contortrix  DSC_0007

Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr - 10:03

hello, thank you all very much for your comments, apreciated, and of curse thr is no problm sharing you pics here, by the way they are very beautiful snakes how big are they??
hope mine grows up as yours

regards
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr - 16:50

She's around 75-80cm.
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jun - 10:53

nice size on your Agkistrodon, luckly min is back to eat again, but now I change a small hide box that he use to have for a bigger nice cave and looks like he does not like it hhhe,
but he is doing fine now, I hop to upload some pics soon, regards to everyone
Back to top Go down
Edgar Gonzalez

Male
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jun - 5:11

Beautiful snake, I'm in love *-*
Back to top Go down
http://150.164.37.75/labimq/index.php
Carina Rosberg
Carina Rosberg

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jun - 8:16

Beatutiful snake, nr 1 on my want to have list Smile
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep - 10:06

Hello guys long time ago with no news, well I must tell you that this little baby is now a very big and nice copper, its size is like 4 times more than he was when a baby, and heis only 9 months old, and its weigth, well he or she is very heavy, well here aresome recentpics of him, hope to upload a few more soon, regards and thank you very muchfor your comments

Agkistrodon contortrix  _dsc2710

Agkistrodon contortrix  _dsc2711

regards
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agkistrodon contortrix    Agkistrodon contortrix  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Agkistrodon contortrix
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next