VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

A. clorechis breeding question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-10-17

A. clorechis breeding question Empty
PostSubject: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeTue 22 Nov - 6:15

For a while now, I've suspected that the female A. clorechis I have is gravid. She has been sharing an enclosure with a male for about 9 months and since the temperature cooled this autumn and the barometric pressure changed, I have seen the rear 1/3 of her body getting bigger and bigger.

I have seperated her into an enclosure where she can bask (she was being maintained at ambient temperature before).

My question is: How long does this species remain gravid? How long after they become obviously bloated will the babies drop?

It would be nice to get an idea of the time frame I'm looking at for the babies to be born.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeTue 22 Nov - 15:14

Hi Luke I’ve just bred mine so let me try help.

My female was gravid for close on 8 months. She refused food for about three months before she actually dropped the babies. There was no “pre lay shed” so not really much warning that the babies were on the way. I noticed she didn’t bask very much at all, although other guys who have bred them said their appreciated a basking spot.

The babies are small but are really not that tricky to get going. I hope that helps a bit. Good luck and please post some pictures of the babies.
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeFri 25 Nov - 5:41

8 months! I don't want to wait that long lol!

I'm so excited for these neonates. this will be my first attempt at breeding vipers!

Do you have any tips on optimal temperature/humidity/dietary supplements for gestation? I hope the enclosure I moved her into isn't too warm for her, but she seems to be enjoying the basking.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeFri 25 Nov - 14:58

Hi Luke I didn’t do anything special at all. I gave her a basking spot, which she very rarely used. The ambient temperature of the cage was between 20° and 24°. She produces 7 healthy babies which may not be a huge clutch but they were all healthy. Just make sure she gets plenty of fresh water and feed her a little bit more regularly until she goes off feeding. Give her minimal disturbance, don’t move her around unnecessarily, and all should be well. Please keep us updated, I’m sure all will go very well for you.
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeSun 27 Nov - 15:33

So,

Here's my (somewhat disappointing) news.

I rember saying "This viper is either gravid, or this is the biggest fecal impaction I've ever seen." Well, I went to check on her yesterday and found a MASSIVE pile of crap at the bottom of her enclosure. She is still looking heavy-bodied, but not too far outside the range of what a healthy female bush viper should look like. So she may still be gravid, but I'm much less certain of it now.

scratch

Sad
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov - 2:04

Hi Luke,
congrats, you just found out how long a chloro can keep her crap. Same thing happend to me last year;-) They are like a storeroom. But dont give up, there is still a chance. About how long gravid: 1year ago a squam let me wait 8 months this year almost 10! The same animal. She was shedding, putting her carp, and giving 17 babies the same night. Last year she had a pre shed 4 days before birth. And the whole time she was a good feeder.
Greetings Rene
Back to top Go down
PeterMagnusson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov - 4:30

My squam was holding her babies 8 months and 9 days. feed until last day, No pre shed. and gave me 18 healthy youngs..so dont give up hope.
Back to top Go down
Jake Hawthorne
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov - 4:33

I hope you guys are right, but since she's had a huge crap, she doesn't really look gravid at all. Sad

Oh well, I've increased the humidity and re-introduced the male so we'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov - 15:04

Just keep trying them, they will breed for you. Often they seem to mate late at night (I think) I only caught mine once, by chance. Has you male been eating as much as usual? I have noticed when they get keen on breeding the males tend to go off their food?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A. clorechis breeding question   A. clorechis breeding question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A. clorechis breeding question
Page 1 of 1