VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Squam babies born

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeTue 2 Dec - 1:04

My blackish female dropped some babies over the weekend. At 9AM she had three out, at noon four were out, and by 3:00 she had five. It's her first litter, so it's rather small. I got one gray and cream, one yellow/gray/green, and the other three are red/orange/yellow mix. They all have some kind of black flecking in them (which usually means nothing and disappears with age), so I will hold them for a while to see what they do color-wise. Mom was red and yellow banded for a year until she started showing the black coming in.

Squam babies born IMG_1701edit

I took some individual photos and they came out pretty nice.

Yellow/green
Squam babies born IMG_1744edit

Gray/cream
Squam babies born 1740edit

Yellow/orange
Squam babies born IMG_1747edit

Orange
Squam babies born IMG_1761edit

Orange/red
Squam babies born IMG_1758edit

The last three looked pretty much identical after birth, so they are already changing in color some and the rest of their skin came off. They were born shedding, so they have already fed. These are F3 babies and they should all be tremendous eaters. I think feeding in babies is somewhat of a genetic factor, or it seems to be here anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeTue 2 Dec - 23:55

I cant believe it !!! What a site !! hey excuse my excitement if I overlooked the answer but what does dad look like?

Congratulations once again!!
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeTue 2 Dec - 23:57

So your saying mom had no black at all and was yellow then went black after many years ? Ive never heard of that before , that's incredible ! so some of these babies may turn black ?
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec - 0:26

Thanks Andrew! Yes, mom has gone through a dramatic color change that took almost two years to complete. I hope you're really interested in this because here goes.....

Birth (she's on the far right):
Squam babies born DSCN8260

Approximately 3 months:
Squam babies born DSCN8336

Approximately 6 months:
Squam babies born DSCN8789

Approximately 1 year:
Squam babies born DSCN8788

Adult, at an angle where you can still see the underlying red and yellow bands:
Squam babies born IMG_9976

Another angle where she looks more black:
Squam babies born IMG_0212

So, yes, the babies could absolutely do something weird like she did. The reddest baby has the most black in it, so he's the one to watch right now, but the gray one could be interesting, too.

I threw everything at this girl this year but the kitchen sink, so I am not 100% sure who papa is. Timing-wise, I think the blue male got her, though:
Squam babies born DSCN9581
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec - 1:33

Jeez , sounds like you were running an Atheris Whore House there !! That's such a bizarre color change though, the m.viridis of the venomous world.
Thanks for the extra pictures , most enjoyed.

Mine are together at the moment will share some pics of the paired up couple...
Back to top Go down

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeThu 4 Dec - 1:49

congrats,looks very good Cool and indeed interesting to see how the female shifted color,is indeed very big diffrence
Back to top Go down
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeThu 4 Dec - 13:57

Congratz and the mom really is a looker.
The colour-change information with pictures is very interesting, i don´t remember reading about such before (or then i´m just too tired atm). Let´s hope that atleast someone turns blackish or some off that offspring get´s nice colours on the way towards adulthood Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeThu 4 Dec - 19:21

Here's the two I have together ...... and a picture of one of Gavin's animals that look like yours did at three months , See they both have that thin red banding
on an orange base , interesting.

Squam babies born IMG_2595

Squam babies born IMG_2181

Last edited by Andrew Hacket on Fri 5 Dec - 2:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeThu 4 Dec - 20:14

Thanks Dave and Stefan. I have seen one other color change that was more dramatic than this one. I bought a green baby once that was totally unremarkable and she turned into a yellow adult that had dark purple bands. She was quite amazing and maybe the nicest squam I've ever had, but incredibly difficult to photograph, plus that was 10 years ago and I was a pretty crummy photographer (still am).

Those are really nice Andrew! It's been a while since I've seen a light blue male like that one that's in with the red and orange female. Does he stay that color or does he vary between blue and greenish blue? And Gavin's little monster is sweet, too!
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec - 8:20

Congrats on the litter, Derek. It was about freakin' time! Laughing
More of these, please...
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec - 23:29

Thanks man! I'm working on some more babies, but the females don't respond well when you try to squeeze the babies out of them! Wink
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitimeFri 19 Dec - 7:28

Sure Smile
I'm positive they don't appreciate too much squeezing. Something I've wanted to do on several occasions...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squam babies born Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squam babies born   Squam babies born Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squam babies born
Page 1 of 1