VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

what was your first Naja?

Go down 
+42
Tommy Thoerneby
Lance Thomas Jeffery
James Shepherd
Sebastian Rosberg
Yordy Benders
Michael Burmeister
Kimberly Urban
jean-henri pastore
Alexandru Strugariu
Chaim Haveman
Niklas Åhs
Christoph Studer
Bostjan Kraner
Sven Foerster
Mardy McManus
Karl Müller
TJ Giles
Brett Franklin
Ray Hunter, Sc.D.
Emil Lydhagen
Agust Lundkvist
Robert Kane
Niklas Eriksson
Wolfgang Wüster
Jorg Schenkels
Janne Penttinen
Christian Moisander
Jamie Osburn
Fredrik hallingström
Niels van den Hooff
Rob Deans
Randy Ciuros
Jason Bruno
Markus Gottlieb
stuart douglas
David Nixon
Peter van Issem
Maciej Pokrywka
Michael Bollhorn
Patrick Vince
Peter Zürcher
mike matson
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fredrik hallingström
Fredrik hallingström

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-12

what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr - 20:31

my first naja was a 120cm female naja siamensis.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Osburn
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr - 21:49

The first two Naja that I got were black Pakistan Naja naja. -Jamie
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr - 7:41

I can't remember for sure, but I think my first was a sub-adult N. haje.
I also got an adult N. melanoleuca and an adult pair of N. nigricollis around the same time period.
A little later I also tried my hands on N. kaouthia and N. pallida as well.
After that I adopted a monster pair of N. annulifera. Funny creatures. It was kinda sad to eventually let go of the huge female. Angry and a bit clumsy. More of a battering-ram type of attitude Smile

Although nigricollis are quite spectacular, I am not a big fan of spitters. These days I only have N. haje, they pretty much enjoy a pet status. Can't let go of them very easily.
Back to top Go down
Janne Penttinen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun - 1:44

1.1 Naja pallida. The male hated me with a passion.

Kept spitting suprisingly long time, sometimes hooding before the hiding place and spitting furiously when I stepped to the room.
Sometimes it made me wanna raise the goggles and spit back.
Back to top Go down
Jorg Schenkels
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jorg Schenkels

Male
Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun - 1:56

my first naja was a young naja annulifera nice animals.. but verry different than other (venomous) snakes..
gr jorg
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun - 3:18

Two Naja siamensis freshly imported WC from Thailand, and 3 Naja kaouthia in the same shipment. The two siamensis were among the most insane snakes I have ever worked with, whereas the Naja kaouthia were about as threatening as 3 giant spaghetti.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Niklas Eriksson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun - 0:16

Michael Bollhorn wrote:
If you like spitting cobras I think Naja siamensis is a good way to start!

I fully agree! I myself started with a male N. siamensis, he was around 100cm in length at the time. Only time he has spit, is when I have transfered him to a box for feeding. He has never had any "bad days" when I have had to handel him.
I have had in total 4 siamensis, I keep two now. None of them has been much of a spitter, although the big male (150cm) I keep atm can be pretty defensive when he is in his enclosure. But as soon as he gets outside he just want to find a hiding place. This male has spit once, and he was behind glas when he did it. Never had any problems with spitting when I have worked with him.

The best thing you could do is to get in contact with someone that keeps cobras where you live and train on this persons animals. It is always good to have an experienced keeper with you if you are handling a snake of a new type for the first time.
Back to top Go down
Robert Kane

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun - 5:25

My first was a 4 ft naja nivea that still hits the glass to this day.
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun - 5:50

Robert Kane wrote:
My first was a 4 ft naja nivea that still hits the glass to this day.

I don't have that long experience with Naja sp., but Naja nivea seems extreme mad to me, I don't know what I've done to them, but mine are mad monsters Laughing I always put my rubberboots on when I open the males cage....he was many times crazy enough to just jump out and go crazy, for nor reason Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Agust Lundkvist
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun - 6:36

My first Naja was Naja Atra which is very aggressive always attacking the glass and smearing venom all over them Shocked
still its a pretty fun snake to handle seeing as he cheses anyone in the room with an open mouth.
Back to top Go down
Emil Lydhagen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Emil Lydhagen

Male
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun - 6:55

N. atra
Back to top Go down
Ray Hunter, Sc.D.
Ray Hunter, Sc.D.

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-19

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun - 1:41

My first cobra was a 7 foot Forest Cobra that I got from Bill Haast back in 1991. I think I traded him a Fer-de-lance for it. Of course now I realize that a large forest cobra is not the best choice for a first cobra.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cobraman.net
Brett Franklin
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Brett Franklin

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun - 15:56

A WC N mossambica from a friends back yard. Took her out of the bag and she shot off straight under (and up into) my washing machine! took me hours to get her out and the washing machine was never the same again :-)

I was young and have learned since when a where not to unbag an elapid!
Back to top Go down
TJ Giles
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
TJ Giles

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Sep - 10:59

My first was a N. siamensis which calmed down drasticalls since i got her and has only spit once since i have obtained her and grown so fast she seems to have random growth spurts every couple months is somewhere around 3 1/2 ft
Back to top Go down
Karl Müller
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Karl Müller

Male
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 23:19

My first Cobra was approx 1.2 m of black Pakistan, Naja naja, I still remember very well in it although it already 35 years is. The guy has brought me soon to the insanity he wanted to eat at the beginning neither mice, rats nor fowl, until I it with fish tried which he ate immediately. Late food he also rodents.

Peter Zürcher wrote:
I would be interested in seeing pitures of your Isan cobras - if you have any. This geographic colour variation has become rare in european collections in the last few years.

Peter here still some photos of Isan Cobra.

I have caught this snake at night in the country in the sitting room of a farmer.

[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330504-P1110016[/img]
[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330505-P1110019[/img]
[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330506-P1110020[/img]
[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330507-P1110024[/img]

And this on a rice field

[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330503-P1020274[/img]
[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330502-P1020271[/img]
[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330501-P1020269[/img]
[img]what was your first Naja? - Page 2 330500-P1020262[/img]

Regards,
Karl
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 23:59

Thank you Karl, great!
I've never seen a specimen with a neck pattern that well and clearly defined.
Do you have this snake in your collection?

Best regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Mardy McManus

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 0:35

My first Naja was an adult male albino kaouthia. A nice animal but like most albinos naja i have worked with quite crazy due to the poor vision. I would go with something non albino to start with.

Cheers,

Mardy
Back to top Go down
Sven Foerster
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 0:38

My first Naja was a few month old Naja kaouthia albino, very beautiful and aggressiv.
Unfortunately she died after a few month, I don`t know why, she was a very greedy and good eater. Neutral
Before one month I bought a Naja naja, cb from this year from a member in this board.
She is very shy and first don`t came out when someone was in the room.
For next month in Houten I reserved a pair of adult Naja pallida, also from a guy in this board.
Then I reached my capacity and have to wait for a bigger apartement. ;-)
But I`m also very interested in Hemachatus haemachatus, maybe next year... ;-)

@Karl,
very nice shots from a beautiful naja, thanks for that.

Best regards
Sven
Back to top Go down
Karl Müller
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Karl Müller

Male
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 2:01

No Peter I released both again!

The animals are from northeastern Thailand from the province Surin, them is here the most common cobra.
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 2:44

I have no Naja yet. I'm deciding between N. Palida, N.Naja, Naja Siamensis and N.Kaouthia. Tough call I'd say.

Regards, BKK
Back to top Go down
Christoph Studer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christoph Studer

Male
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Cobras   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 15:55

As with most others, I had startet with naja kaouthia. all my kaouthias were evil monster, wild and aggressive all of the time. Monocled cobras in my eyes are not the best beginners.

In the 15 years that I had kept Naja kaouthia, Naja haje, Naja haje legionis, Naja nivea, Naja naja and Naja siamensis, these here are my absolute favorites:
what was your first Naja? - Page 2 2308038

what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Najanajamale-2

what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Brillenschlange

Christoph
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 2 Oct - 5:48

Naja Naja is in my eyes ''the real cobra'', I like the black pakistan form. But for the best looking Naja Pallida. I like also different morphs of kaouthia. I'n not planing to get any for adleast two or three years whe my new, bigger snake room will be built with much more space (ca 45m2). Now I keep Death Adder, Western Diamondback and two Puffadders and some pythons and cornsnakes with different morph genetics. When I get first Naja I'll probably start with N.Pallida or Sianemsis. I'll make four terrariums for cobras in new snakeroom. 10m2 snakeroom that I'm using now will contain mostly racks for Ball Pythons and Young snakes. This snake room is too smal for 2m cobra or other large fast elapid. The only cobra that I'll put in this room is Aspidelaps sp.

Regards, BKK

Last edited by Bostjan Kraner on Sun 3 Oct - 22:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niklas Åhs

Male
Registration date : 2010-08-06

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 2 Oct - 23:48

First Naja was a Naja naja (calmest venomous I ever kept). First one with attitude (In my opinion acting like a cobra) was a atra.
Back to top Go down
Niklas Åhs

Male
Registration date : 2010-08-06

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 2 Oct - 23:51

Acting like a Naja should do would be the right sentence..
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 3 Oct - 4:22

In the past I was a real viper-man and say: never elapids... Evil or Very Mad

But in 2008 I get a bad acute infection... Suspect

I start with Naja siamensis and today I keep 2,2 Naja siamensis; 1,1 Naja pallida; 1,1 Naja Samarensis; 1,1 Naja n. nigricincta and 2,1 Hemachatus haemachatus... bounce

Regards
Michael
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what was your first Naja?   what was your first Naja? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what was your first Naja?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next