VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Leptodeira annulata

Go down 
+3
Chris Carille
Arjan Huitsing
Michael Burger
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 5:58

No ! blatantly i would not agree , see the difference between academics such as yourself and even Henderson and my person is in the volume of specimens ive seen observed personally i started out as an academic but was thrust in to "the role" which i had no choice but to accept to meet my ends, unfortunately or vice versa " time will tell " could have only been aquired in numbers and time more than three decades.

In just one decade i examined more than three thousand Northern Shield Emerald Tree Boas alone by preparing for export and providing a blueprint for hygeine of the facilities.

So in conclusion i was upset to collect either one of the afore mentioned specimens and maybe i collected old specimens but they were quite large especially imantodes .

How can this be you say , i dont know, thats why i was wondering if there were subspecies of Leptodeira annulata in Suriname, in Ecuador a fellow maintained the largest Bothriopsis smaragadina ive ever seen thick and all of three feet long.

Luis Porras of the shed friend of both of us when you lived down here in Florida maintained a Yellow Eyelash Viper as large as any Emerald Tree Boa , i think you saw this specimen , so go figure.

So Micheal, in ending i believe folks are missing the point because the keyword here "juvenile Lachesis muta muta " which as you know are not much thicker than the afore mentioned species .
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 5:58

No ! blatantly i would not agree , see the difference between academics such as yourself and even Henderson and my person is in the volume of specimens ive seen observed personally i started out as an academic but was thrust in to "the role" which i had no choice but to accept to meet my ends, unfortunately or vice versa " time will tell " could have only been aquired in numbers and time more than three decades.

In just one decade i examined more than three thousand Northern Shield Emerald Tree Boas alone by preparing for export and providing a blueprint for hygeine of the facilities.

So in conclusion i was upset to collect either one of the afore mentioned specimens and maybe i collected old specimens but they were quite large especially imantodes .

How can this be you say , i dont know, thats why i was wondering if there were subspecies of Leptodeira annulata in Suriname, in Ecuador a fellow maintained the largest Bothriopsis smaragadina ive ever seen thick and all of three feet long.

Luis Porras of the shed friend of both of us when you lived down here in Florida maintained a Yellow Eyelash Viper as large as any Emerald Tree Boa , i think you saw this specimen , so go figure.

So Micheal, in ending i believe folks are missing the point because the keyword here "juvenile Lachesis muta muta " which as you know are not much thicker than the afore mentioned species .
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 6:29

Hans Boos says of Leptodeira annulata "with markings superficially like those of the bushmaster or mapepire zanana, Lachesis muta, it stands little chance of not being killed when it turns up in food-rich gardens in the countryside or towns." He further tells of the bushmaster being confused with the boa constrictor on Trinidad.

-Hans E. A. Boos (The Sankes of Trinidad and Tabago)

Michael

Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 31 Mar - 18:31

Quote :
The triangular head only looks threatening because other species with triangular heads are threatening.

Hi. That is not the only point for mimicry...
Because the triangulation evolved different times and not evertime equal to "threatening species like vipers", I would not say it is a mimicry in general.
To look bigger is always a good defensive strategy, same like hissing (Heterodon, Malpolon e.g. )

Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Tommy Brav
Tommy Brav

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr - 1:29

I'm very interested in achieving your experiences with switching over feeding items to pinkies or bigger mice. This, because their is a Dutch importer selling Leptodeira annulata. Subspecies unknown.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr - 6:09

Tommy,

It is basically a scent transfer technique- a) you will have to have a prey item (such as a frog) that the cat eyed snake will eat on its own; b) to get the snake to eat a pink, rub the frog onto a dead pink (transferring the scent) and introduce it to the snake during the evening hours when it is active - the trick here is to slowly introduce the scented pink and not to startle the snake; if it doesn't take it from the forceps, leave the pink in the snake's cage to see if it eats it overnight ; c) if the scent transfer technique doesn't work after several attempts, you will have to kill a frog and scent the pink with the frog as well as stick one of the frog's dismembered legs into the pink's mouth; this works fairly well. I have got cat eyed snakes to accept pinks by these methods, but not every snake can be switched over. Sometimes it takes a number of attempts before it works.

Regards

Michael
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Apr - 6:21

As Michael said
It is quite easy to transfer most snakes from frogs to mice!
Almost every species I kept, worked with this trick.

With lizards or anything else, I had not such good results like with frogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leptodeira annulata    Leptodeira annulata  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leptodeira annulata
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2