VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

scaleless Bitis arietans

Go down 
+12
Neven Vrbanic
Albert J. Montejo
Peter Zürcher
Jeremiah Elleman
Jan Jonkman
Randy Ciuros
Stefan Anthonijsz
Andrew Hacket
Guenter Leitenbauer
Jon Davidson
Ro vd Bergh
Tim Hallam
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-05-11

scaleless Bitis arietans Empty
PostSubject: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 2:29

Greetings venomlanders!

I was just curious it's been a while now since scaleless puff adder babies arrived on the scene has anyone got pictures of an adult they must have all grown up by now?
and I've never seen one (adult that is) like I said just curious

cheers Tim.
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 4:24

I know a couple that died growing up so I don't think the're healthy animals but maybe somebody can show me that I'm wrong.
I would like to see some adults as well.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 10:58

Ro vd Bergh wrote:
'I know a couple that died growing up so I don't think the're healthy animals but maybe somebody can show me that I'm wrong...'

Cheers, Ro.
Perhaps the specimens died prematurely because they didn't have any scales...? The fascination with deliberately engineered genetic abnormality eludes me. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 15:41

Jon Davidson wrote:
The fascination with deliberately engineered genetic abnormality eludes me.

Well said.
I guess all real animal lovers prefer healthy and genetically undamaged specimen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 18:01

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
Jon Davidson wrote:
The fascination with deliberately engineered genetic abnormality eludes me.

Well said.
I guess all real animal lovers prefer healthy and genetically undamaged specimen.

That's a bit harsh Guenter being curious about a naturally occurring (not as some believe deliberately engineered) mutation does not make me or others on this forum any less than "real animal lovers" puff adders have such large clutches it's enevitable that genetic abnormalities show them self
I was just curious as too wether anybody had managed to raise one to adulthood. Personally I prefer animals in there natural form but like most of us I prefer the brighter more striking animals, which as the colour and patternation in some species seems to continuously improve I guess is a form of deliberate engineering. If my memory serves me right I believe you keep Brazilian Rainbow Boas and I know that the 'normal' specimens that are available today are far brighter than the majority of wild caught animals that first came into the hobby all those years ago.

regards Tim Hallam

Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 18:38

Tim I meant of course the hype of "producing" such abnormal specimen.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 19:29

Jon Davidson wrote:
Ro vd Bergh wrote:
'I know a couple that died growing up so I don't think the're healthy animals but maybe somebody can show me that I'm wrong...'

Cheers, Ro.
Perhaps the specimens died prematurely because they didn't have any scales...? The fascination with deliberately engineered genetic abnormality eludes me. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Gee Jon, you think so? Why do you say this in such a weird tone, it's almost insinuating that I would want some.Ii had multiple oppertunities to buy some but I don't keep deformed animals. I have nothing against fancy colors though.

I'm just curious if I am and always was right when I said that they probably won't live long.

I don't judge other people though, each his own and there are worse problems in the world than people keeping these.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 20:18

Great topic , waiting for the adult pics!! ... I believe the Acanthophis (Death Adders) are breeding well for scale-less so their shouldn't be a problem with Puff Adders ?
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug - 23:24

Ro vd Bergh wrote:

Gee Jon, you think so? Why do you say this in such a weird tone, it's almost insinuating that I would want some.Ii had multiple oppertunities to buy some but I don't keep deformed animals. I have nothing against fancy colors though.

I'm just curious if I am and always was right when I said that they probably won't live long.

I don't judge other people though, each his own and there are worse problems in the world than people keeping these.

Cheers, Ro.
Perhaps you could please explain how you find my tone to be 'weird'? The meaning of my post is clear. In my view, judging people's actions and behaviour is essential for a community that places a value on ethics- especially when it involves other Life forms. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 0:16

Tim Hallam wrote:
'Personally I prefer animals in there natural form but like most of us I prefer the brighter more striking animals, which as the colour and patternation in some species seems to continuously improve I guess is a form of deliberate engineering'.

regards Tim Hallam

Freaks, hybrids, deformities(such as polycephalic specimens) etc. do occur, on occasion, in nature. However, to use this a pretext to deliberately breed captive animals in order to produce genetically degenerate abnormalities for little more than fun and profit- or merely for 'curiosity' as the case may be- raises an important ethical and moral question for the people who have a genuine and legitimate interest in the evolutionary biology of snakes. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 1:58

Jon Davidson wrote:
Ro vd Bergh wrote:

Cheers, Ro.
Perhaps you could please explain how you find my tone to be 'weird'? The meaning of my post is clear. In my view, judging people's actions and behaviour is essential for a community that places a value on ethics- especially when it involves other Life forms. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

You're quoting me to make a statement and it looks now you're explaning the obvious to me.

Did I really have to explain this?

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 2:30

Ro vd Bergh wrote:
Jon Davidson wrote:
Ro vd Bergh wrote:

Cheers, Ro.

You're quoting me to make a statement and it looks now you're explaning the obvious to me.

Did I really have to explain this?

Cheers, Ro.
You don't have to explain what it is you mean to say in your posts, if you would (for whatever reason) prefer not to... Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 2:48

I just did so your last reply was obviously not needed and a bit childish as well.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 3:23

My 'tone' in this discussion has not been 'weird'(no need to clarify your remark, if you would rather not), nor have my comments been 'childish', Mr. Vd Bergh. You have expressed a tacit approval of this deliberate genetically engineered abnormality with your words: ' I don't judge other people though, each his own and there are worse problems in the world than people keeping these'; whereas I have offered a different point of view. Perhaps you should try to stay on topic if you genuinely wish to discuss the ethics of deliberately breeding captive animals in order to produce degenerate, genetic abnormalities for profit, curiosity and amusement? Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 3:34

@ Jon: Bla bla bla... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 3:46

Don't tell me what to do.

We're talking about you quoting me and answering me in an arrogant way. You made it sound like I would want some and I don't like that since that is simply not the case.

Where did I say I approve keeping these in my first post while I only said that I was curious to see if the're were any adults alive??? Shocked And you write all this after I explained that I would not keep them and never did... Read man.

Cheers, Ro.

Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 5:44

Sorry Ro, but I can't read anything weird or offending in Jon's first quotation. It seems to me that You triggered this confrontation out of nothing. Maybe You did misunderstand him, but I don't like the way You get so emotional - just my very personal opinion.
Guenter
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 6:07

Sorry Ro, but I can't read anything weird or offending in Jon's first quotation. It seems to me that You triggered this confrontation out of nothing. Maybe You did misunderstand him, but I don't like the way You get so emotional - just my very personal opinion.
Guenter

I'm not surprised Guenter. You both have sometimes an arrogant way of talking to people so you probably see nothing wrong in that way of responding.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers, Ro.

Back to top Go down
Tim Hallam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tim Hallam

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 6:29

Ro vd Bergh wrote:
Guenter

I'm not surprised Guenter. You both have sometimes an arrogant way of talking to people so you probably see nothing wrong in that way of responding.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers, Ro.

Smile Just my personal opinion

now, does anybody have any pictures of any scaleless puff adder adults ,

hell for that matter does anybody have any pics of anything freaky- two headed/two tailed/inside-out ! i've just hatched out a one eyed western hognose and one eyed blood python do they count? -not out the same egg though! lets really get this freak show on the road maybe we can upset some more evolutionary biologists nothing like a blahblahblah to get the party started-why are the Dutch so cooool?

Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 6:38

Haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 6:42

Ro vd Bergh wrote:
Don't tell me what to do.

We're talking about you quoting me and answering me in an arrogant way. You made it sound like I would want some and I don't like that since that is simply not the case.

Where did I say I approve keeping these in my first post while I only said that I was curious to see if the're were any adults alive??? Shocked And you write all this after I explained that I would not keep them and never did... Read man.

Cheers, Ro.

Please note that I have not told you what to do, Mr. Vd Bergh. Please note further that you-with your own words- have qualified your approval with: 1): 'I don't judge other people, though'; 2):'each his own'; and 3): 'there are worse problems in the world than people keeping these'. I understand that the issue can evoke strong feelings from some members; however, I'll leave it to other Venomland members to decide for themselves whose comments in this Thread have been 'weird' or childish. Sincerely, Jon Davidson
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 6:59

Fine with me. Again you begin about that frase that I will explain later. I'm talking about your first reply. You misinterperted my reasons and your respond was not how we should talk to eachother.

My frase about that I don't judge people is just the way I try to live! Unless people let's say hunt whales or beats seals for fur. Now that is animalcruelty. I get upset about those things.

Let's say somebody comes with this story;

I had a couple Bitis arietans and suddenly I had 2 scaleless animals. You're an animal lover, you're not going to kill them I assume? You raise them and they do fine. Totally not what you expected but they do. If that persons than later breeds them. I don't care! All our snakes are ecological dead and my line is where the animal suffers. I wouldn't do it, it's not my thing. But who am I to judge anyway... I put animals in cages because I like looking at them.

Pffff... I'm done now with this conversation. I'm afraid nobody's going to post his scaleless puf anymore though. Rolling Eyes

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 7:16

Ro vd Bergh wrote:
'Again you begin about that frase that I will explain later'.

Pffff... I'm done now with this conversation. I'm afraid nobody's going to post his scaleless puf anymore though.

Cheers, Ro.
Please feel free to take as much time as you need to explain your point of view... However, if you're done with the discussion then that's fine too. With best wishes, Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 7:21

That was all the time I needed. And yes, I'm done now, simply cause I have nothing further on the subject. That doesn't mean you can't discuss your point of view with other members so please feel free to go on.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug - 7:26

Ro vd Bergh wrote:
That was all the time I needed. And yes, I'm done now, simply cause I have nothing further on the subject. That doesn't mean you can't discuss your point of view with other members so please feel free to go on.

Cheers, Ro.
I must have misunderstood you when you said that you will explain youself later... Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

scaleless Bitis arietans
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next