VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

scaleless Bitis arietans

Go down 
+12
Neven Vrbanic
Albert J. Montejo
Peter Zürcher
Jeremiah Elleman
Jan Jonkman
Randy Ciuros
Stefan Anthonijsz
Andrew Hacket
Guenter Leitenbauer
Jon Davidson
Ro vd Bergh
Tim Hallam
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 3:29

Sometime Ro i wonder who suffers more from censorship Europe or USA.

i was interested in your article about these specimens so straight from the begining of the thread i google scale less puff adders / Bitis arietans and found out Glades herp had purchased them there at a show in Europe for 4500.00 USD a pair.

So the selling price was not so bad when you include shipping.

An important factor in doing business is having vision , than the stomach to carry out your plan.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 3:52

Once again Peter, no one was blaming you for doing anything wrong, and I just pointed that out, because evidently you didn't understand what Neven meant. I tried to explain, because I did understand what he meant. Neven said he was told they came from you. That is all. Neven didn't say you sold them knowing that they were possible het scale-less. You said that later in another post quote "I sold two pairs of 66% poss. hets to german keepers (for just a normal arietans-price and with information!)." So Peter, your the only person that said you did something wrong. Your guilty conscience seems to have gotten the better of you.

Ro, I don't remember what Glades was asking for them. I think Robbie Keszey offered them to me for $2500 ea. I'm not sure if they actually sold any or not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 5:00

Randy Ciuros wrote:
'What is happening to venomland'? '...then people that have nothing constructive to say about the topic start complaining about the question, or the topic, or the kind of people that keep the animals that are the subject of the topic. If you don't have something constructive to say, why say anything'. 'This place is really starting to go down hill'.
... Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 5:10

Hey Jon , why do you dwell on things like that , you seem well read and informed and your avatar looks cool , i bet you can come up with some interesting subjects , i for one would be interested in what you know about Neotropical Palm -Pitvipers, etc.

Give it a shot you really seem to be a cool herper not some nit-picking science teacher .

a fan !

Albert.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 5:27

Albert J. Montejo wrote:
Hey Jon , why do you dwell on things like that , you seem well read and informed and your avatar looks cool , i bet you can come up with some interesting subjects , i for one would be interested in what you know about Neotropical Palm -Pitvipers, etc.

Give it a shot you really seem to be a cool herper not some nit-picking science teacher .

a fan !

Albert.
Hmmm... Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Montejo. On this occasion, it may appear that I'm 'dwelling' on the comments of Mr. Ciuros; however I and a number of other members and readers here at Venomland have been amused by his blatant hypocrisy and histrionics. Have a read through this Thread in its entirety and I'm sure you'll understand. My apologies to the Venomland members for this off topic post. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 14:27

Sorry,

But I haven't seen an ON topic post from you Mr. Jon Davidson.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 15:37

Well Jan, at least more informative than most of Your (and others including my) statements e.g.:

Jan Jonkman wrote:
Very nice Eric!
Breathtaking animals, all of them.

Jan Jonkman wrote:
Very nice find Matt!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Jan Jonkman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jan Jonkman

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 15:58

Well at least they are positive and on topic Guenter.

Most of the people post pictures of their animals because they are proud of their collection and want to show the animals in it an share information about them. If I wanted to know something about that particular animal I will ask. If i think I know enough ( in my eyes) about it, I wont.

I (and a lot of people with me, so I gathered the last view days) are tired with a lot of people with semi-intellectual comments that sometimes cover an entire page and still don't say anything.

We all get your English is very good Guenter, all of us Europeans applaud you!
But I'd rather learn something from you (if you have something to learn to me except for spelling? ) then read meaningless words from you.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 17:24

No I guess nobody here can learn something about snakes from me (but vice versa I learned a lot). I was invited into this group a long time ago by Peter and Mario for my photography not for my knowledge about snakes. I'm well aware of this. As I can remember I never ever wrote that I know something about snakes. If the majority here tells me that my contribution (photos and sometimes a link) here is no more necessary, I'll be the first to leave.

But e.g. Peter and Jon know a lot about snakes and those forthgoing attacks from some weird people here are hard to accept. It must be allowed to state that "The fascination with deliberately engineered genetic abnormality eludes him" without getting virtually ripped by some obviously inmature guys in a Cowboy like manner (first shoot, then ask). And if they then get a harsh reply, they explode ... If You piss against the wind, You should be aware of yellow knees Wink

Jon also said in the same post "Perhaps the specimens died prematurely because they didn't have any scales." - a very on topic statement which was ignored by the "Dutch plus Tim and Randy connection" because it did not fit into their argumentation line, I guess.

Besides that I don't know what Your intention was when You reflected on my English. It's not my native language (as for most of the people here), so it should not be a matter of discussion as long as it is understandable.

Regards,
Guenter

Last edited by Guenter Leitenbauer on Mon 22 Aug - 22:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Mats Jonsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Mats Jonsson

Male
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 18:04

serious guys.. go back and read the thread!!??
Is this kindergarten?
Life is to short arguing meanfully to eachother. we all are here for the love of reptiles so try keep this site a happy and fun and educational one.
Have a fantastic day all you fellow herpers.
best
reg
Mats
Back to top Go down
Agust Lundkvist
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-12-09

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug - 3:11

Sorry if this can be misinterpreted as i have nothing against those who keep scaleless but isnt it a possibility that scaleless individuals are much more sensitive to dehydration and humidity related problems?
It might be a reason as to why these animals die?

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug - 3:55

Agust Lundkvist wrote:
Sorry if this can be misinterpreted as i have nothing against those who keep scaleless but isnt it a possibility that scaleless individuals are much more sensitive to dehydration and humidity related problems?
It might be a reason as to why these animals die?

Just a thought.

Yes, I think so. Neven has really nice natural looking cages so even though he said that he didn't do anything special besides spraying a bit more when in shed, his cages were probably never really dry. I think that would be a killer for these animals.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Daniel Quinton
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Jul - 7:35

Do a google image search for scaleless puff adder and you will turn up plenty of pics...
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Jun - 5:43

I'm really late in contributing to this thread; I'm not even sure which year it began and last received an addition, but now, in June, 2013, I'll say a few words.

I had received a shipment from South America in 1970 or 1971...I used to import herps pre CITES, and in the shipment was a large, extremely thick bodied Bothrops sp. that was entirely scaleless. Dark brown in color, I wouldn't venture a guess as to the specific sub species, but what I'm saying is this was a very healthy, very active, and very scaleless Bothrops.

In the years that I was actively importing reptiles this was the only scaleless specimen I had ever received alive, although there was one other snake, an unidentified colubrid, that had been sent along by the shipper as a curiosity. This specimen arrived dead, my impression at the time was it had defecated in the bag it had been sent in and the material had caused a fatal skin infection.

Rare as they may be, scaleless reptiles do exist in nature through no fault of their own. They exist, and in my opinion, their typical lifespans are compromised by an inability to protect themselves from environmental elements which could result in injury or infection. Again, in my opinion, I do not think of a scaleless reptile in terms of it being ''defective,'' rather I think of it as a variation, a less successful design of nature.

I find all life forms beautiful, some more striking than others, but all beautiful. A snake without scales may not live as long as a snake with scales, but in its own way, it has a beauty unique to itself. The diversity in nature is simply amazing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scaleless Bitis arietans   scaleless Bitis arietans - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

scaleless Bitis arietans
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4